Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 09:40:42 pm

Author Topic: on whether scores are possible and writing notes.  (Read 1062 times)  Share 

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
on whether scores are possible and writing notes.
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:36:30 pm »
+3
Disclaimer: This is my point of view, you are entitled to your own obviously. I'm not targetting anyone - just typing my thoughts. I am by no means an authority on study techniques, I just know what works for me.

I
see two types of questions all the time here.
The first is something like "is this score possible?" and the second is "would writing notes help/best way to write notes?"

These are my thoughts:

- The year is fresh (I occasionally write 2011 instead of 2012 when dating documents) so it’s very unlikely a score is unachievable. The main barrier is probably your mindset and work ethic (not mutually exclusive). Is a 40 achievable in this subject? Yeah, probably - if you work for it. I think better questions would be asking for tips on how to study for certain subjects... but even that depends entirely on what type of learner you are. I learn by taking notes, so that's how I study. I have a friend who found that useless so he just did questions.

- There is no secret to making notes. Read the text a few times, understand what is important and write in your own words. If you know a better way, sweet. Otherwise I think this is the most logical way. You can do essays or you can do dot points. My technique may not necessarily work for you. My advice here is to just give it a go if you are unsure - you'll realise quickly whether or not it works for you.

By no means am I saying to not ask these questions or demeaning people who do - I'm just putting up my thoughts on these topics. If debate follows that’s cool, but my whole point of view on this is pretty general so not sure what you'd argue.

Happy studying, the year is still yours.

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +46
  • School: De La Salle College Malvern
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: on whether scores are possible and writing notes.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 11:41:10 pm »
Agreed. One question I've been asked frequently is people asking me, "Is this achievable if..."

It really depends on how much correct work you are willing to put in. Sitting in a tutor's office for 1 hour a night is all fine and dandy, but if you're not willing to put in your own effort and get "spoonfed" by your tutors, you will only go so far.
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM