Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 08:51:41 pm

Author Topic: ---  (Read 1264 times)  Share 

#1procrastinator

---
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:34 am »
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:14:14 am by #1procrastinator »

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
Re: Weird stuff happening MacBook...PRO
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »
+1
Yesterday, or the day before (it's hard to tell when your sleep pattern's as out of whack as mine lol), the cursor moving and jumping around by itself, occasionally clicking stuff. I did the Cmd+Opt+P+R reset and it stopped. I used MacScan to look for any nasty crap and it only found some tracking cookies or something.

Just a few hours earlier, my Mac went from ~6GB free space to 200mb and I got a message saying it didn't have enough memory or something to run the programs, all programs were paused and I had to force quit them. Once that was done, there was free space again. Also, I noticed the battery is being used up really fast, only an hour or so on full charge, usually it's at least 3-4.

Any Mac users have any idea what might be going on?

If you think you have been infected with the java virus, do your software updates.

Otherwise, the 'free space' problem sounds like a RAM thing (when a Mac runs out of ram, it starts paging memory onto disk, this gets released when the programs quit). It could be unrelated, it depends on the system. List system specs + commonly used programs.
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015

KevinooBz

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:08:26 pm »
Take it back and get a PC. Or return and get a new one if it's becoming faulty.

Mao

• CH41RMN
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +390
  • School: Kambrya College
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:22 am »
+1
Safari + Firefox + iTunes will use up all your RAM pretty quickly, then memory will start overtaking your hard-drive.
I'm assuming you have just rebooted the mac. I recommend leaving Activity Monitor running in the background all the time. Next time something silly happens, Cmd+Tab into activity monitor and record the numbers on the System Memory tab (specifically the Page outs and Swap used).
Editor for ATARNotes Chemistry study guides.

VCE 2008 | Monash BSc (Chem., Appl. Math.) 2009-2011 | UoM BScHon (Chem.) 2012 | UoM PhD (Chem.) 2013-2015