Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:10 pm

Author Topic: ANU Open Day 2012  (Read 9595 times)  Share 

#1procrastinator

Re: ANU Open Day 2012
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 09:15:46 pm »
^ Yeah, and the one I was shown was actually the 'long' studio rooms! So the standard ones would be even smaller lol. I didn't see the rooms at any of the college halls but from the picture on the Bruce website, it seems pretty big compared to Unilodge

Hey, for the accommodation application, if you apply for one of the new Unilodges, does it matter what you put down in the extra information box? I'm a very boring person and have no idea what to write.

The Bruce rooms are about half the size of the UniLodge ones.  Just sayin'.

And a bit - you could still be put at UniGardens -shudder-.

Haha, really?? I wasn't counting the bathroom/kitchen space by the way, just the bed/study area. You could pretty much only walk up and down in the single room I was in, was very narrow. The rooms in the shared apartments definitely looked smaller than:

http://brucehall.anu.edu.au/files/2012/08/Cateredroom-resized.jpg

Perhaps the crapload of stuff she had in her room and all over the walls gave the impression that it was smaller than it was lol

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »
I didn't see the shared apartments at UniLodge (what were they like?) but the single studios were a lot bigger than the rooms in the colleges. What did you think of Canberra in general?

Jenny_2108

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 11:07:09 pm »
I didn't see the shared apartments at UniLodge (what were they like?) but the single studios were a lot bigger than the rooms in the colleges. What did you think of Canberra in general?

The apartment at unilodge has bedroom, kitchen, living room, etc,...
My uncle lives in Canberra and he said it was more boring than Mel, so he moved to Mel :P
Everything is a bit more expensive too

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 11:18:45 pm »
Yeah Canberra was really quiet, more like a large country town than a city :P

#1procrastinator

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 01:01:29 am »

The 5-room share was decently sized I guess. Don't know how to describe it other than it was nice :p

I liked Canberra and I agree with you on it being a bit like a large country town...very nice scenery. Whilst I don't like being in a crowded city, I do like living near a large city like Melbourne...so I like Canberra cause it's less busy but then there's not much going on...paradoxical? lol

I liked what I saw. I generally don't like big cities with lots of people like Melbourne but sometimes it's just nice to know that it's there

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 08:40:45 pm »
Oh okay, fair enough. I actually like big cities so I found Canberra a bit small - still haven't decided whether or not to go to ANU.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 11:22:24 pm »
^ Yeah, and the one I was shown was actually the 'long' studio rooms! So the standard ones would be even smaller lol. I didn't see the rooms at any of the college halls but from the picture on the Bruce website, it seems pretty big compared to Unilodge

Hey, for the accommodation application, if you apply for one of the new Unilodges, does it matter what you put down in the extra information box? I'm a very boring person and have no idea what to write.

Haha, really?? I wasn't counting the bathroom/kitchen space by the way, just the bed/study area. You could pretty much only walk up and down in the single room I was in, was very narrow. The rooms in the shared apartments definitely looked smaller than:

Perhaps the crapload of stuff she had in her room and all over the walls gave the impression that it was smaller than it was lol
That's funny because I'm sure they used a wide angle lens for that photo, which tends to make rooms look bigger (though it creates weird, warpy angles).

#1procrastinator

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 03:54:47 pm »
^ haha, the magic of 'good' photography

Oh okay, fair enough. I actually like big cities so I found Canberra a bit small - still haven't decided whether or not to go to ANU.

Seeing the campus in person has reaffirmed my decision to go there (if I get an offer that is). I'd still go even if it was a crappy campus though. Did you find the talks and stuff useful?

Here are the photos
http://imageshack.us/g/713/20120825092251.jpg/

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 04:51:54 pm »
The campus is pretty nice but Canberra itself not so much I think. I actually ended up missing a couple of the talks I planned to go to because the tours around all the colleges took longer than I expected, but I went to the 'living at ANU', exchange and UAC ones. They were good to get a feel for what lectures and stuff would be like but I think most of the information is online. The most helpful thing for me was looking around the accommodation and getting a feel for ANU/Canberra.

How come you've decided to stay at UniLodge rather than one of the colleges?

#1procrastinator

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 05:01:22 pm »
Yeah, most of stuff covered in the talks I went to can be found online...the physics one was pretty entertaining and interesting though. Ja, the primary reason I went was to see what the area and campus was like.

Unilodge cause I get my own toilet lol

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 05:50:42 pm »
Oh haha, fair enough.

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 10:09:42 pm »

Hah. I'm pretty sure that's my old room from way back when. It didn't look like that when I lived there, mind you...
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

chansthename

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 01:08:53 am »
+1
Unilodge cause I get my own toilet lol
That and the kitchen are the only reason I stayed on in Unilodge (after being very unhappy I got pushed there initially, (i was after catered accom at first))

#1procrastinator

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 03:37:56 pm »
^ which lodge are you in? how do they all compare, especially warrambul and kinloch?

chansthename

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 12:35:49 pm »
^ which lodge are you in? how do they all compare, especially warrambul and kinloch?

I'm at warrambul. Kinloch is ok but davey is not as nice.