Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:36:07 pm

Author Topic: ANU Open Day 2012  (Read 9612 times)  Share 

#1procrastinator

ANU Open Day 2012
« on: July 19, 2012, 06:28:02 pm »
Anyone heading up for open day?

I might, depending on whether I can find cheap accommodation and/or transport. V/line looks the cheapest so far

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
Re: ANU Open Day 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 12:48:59 am »
+4
I'll probably be working for the Arts and Social Sciences faculty in some capacity on Open Day, so if anyone wants to come say hi and get an ANer's perspective, message me in advance! :D
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

#1procrastinator

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:45:51 pm »
Ok, I'm definitely going. Does anyone know which is the cheapest hotel with an unshared bathroom (cause I'll probably stay a few days). Also, how crowded are the course presentations usually (specifically, science, math)? Would it be weird to record it? How large are the campus/residential hall/unilodge tour groups?

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:02:06 pm »
^ do you want to stay within walking distance of ANU, or would anywhere in Canberra be okay?

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +68
  • School: Carwatha College P-12
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 04:18:01 am »
Trying to organize a lift from a family friend that drives trucks up to Sydney through Canberra!
Just need to organize a place to stay over night (suggestions would be awesome), and do you guys know if they'll let you take a look in the accommodation?  Johns perhaps?  ::)

I'd love to attend ANU, but after looking at their pre-req ATAR scores they seem a bit out of my reach :) 
Is ANU the type of university that sets high ATAR's for their courses but end up having a pretty high % below?
Or is that not the case because of their national status, they must get students from all across AU?
'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Need a website? I run a web design business!  The Summit Digital

ktrah

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 06:31:44 pm »

I might, depending on whether I can find cheap accommodation and/or transport. V/line looks the cheapest so far

Yep, I'm taking V/line up as well. It's a pity no cheap airlines like Jetstar fly to Canberra, not looking forward to the four hours on a bus :P

Just need to organize a place to stay over night (suggestions would be awesome), and do you guys know if they'll let you take a look in the accommodation?  Johns perhaps?  ::)

I'd love to attend ANU, but after looking at their pre-req ATAR scores they seem a bit out of my reach :) 

The Canberra YHA looks alright and it's probably the cheapest option if you stay in their dorms. There'll be tours around all the colleges on open day :)

I think generally their ATAR requirements are actually lower than Melbourne and Monash.

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:07:21 pm »
Requirements aren't very high, but unless you have some special qualifiers (rural, hardship, indigenous, etc.) it's unlikely that you'd get in with an ATAR below the cutoff.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

Jenny_2108

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:28:01 pm »

Hey, if you go there, can you please take some photos about the campus and labs?

I also apply to medical science, science advanced honours, actuarial studies combined with science course at ANU as well but I cant go to the open day. If you apply the same ones as me, can you ask details about them please? Thanks heaps!

#1procrastinator

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 07:21:08 pm »
+1
@Eriny: Thanks for replying. I didn't get a chance to check the thread until now but I've gone with the Rex Hotel

@Jenny: I'm interested in other courses but I'll try to get some photos

#1procrastinator

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 08:32:09 pm »
ANU campus is awesome, some areas are like a wildlife park in my opinion. For anyone thinking of staying at Unilodge, the rooms are veeery small, common areas are also aren't as big as they are in the photos. View of Black Mountainfrom the LK rooftop is very nice.

I thought I took a lot of good pictures but most of them turned out crap in terms of giving you an idea of what the campus is like (also just bad photography haha). Nevertheless I'll try to get them up tomorrow

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 08:36:05 pm »
ANU campus is awesome, some areas are like a wildlife park in my opinion. For anyone thinking of staying at Unilodge, the rooms are veeery small, common areas are also aren't as big as they are in the photos. View of Black Mountainfrom the LK rooftop is very nice.

I thought I took a lot of good pictures but most of them turned out crap in terms of giving you an idea of what the campus is like (also just bad photography haha). Nevertheless I'll try to get them up tomorrow

The UniLodge rooms are small?  Have you even seen what normal college rooms look like :p  Great that you enjoyed it though!
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

#1procrastinator

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 08:50:05 pm »
^ Yeah, and the one I was shown was actually the 'long' studio rooms! So the standard ones would be even smaller lol. I didn't see the rooms at any of the college halls but from the picture on the Bruce website, it seems pretty big compared to Unilodge

Hey, for the accommodation application, if you apply for one of the new Unilodges, does it matter what you put down in the extra information box? I'm a very boring person and have no idea what to write.

Jenny_2108

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 08:55:35 pm »

The UniLodge rooms are small?  Have you even seen what normal college rooms look like :p  Great that you enjoyed it though!

Yeah, if you live in a single room, its very small. I used to live in unilodge before and couldnt stand it.
I think apartment is better.

Can you plz upload some photos of the campus? Is it big?

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 09:06:52 pm »
^ Yeah, and the one I was shown was actually the 'long' studio rooms! So the standard ones would be even smaller lol. I didn't see the rooms at any of the college halls but from the picture on the Bruce website, it seems pretty big compared to Unilodge

Hey, for the accommodation application, if you apply for one of the new Unilodges, does it matter what you put down in the extra information box? I'm a very boring person and have no idea what to write.

The Bruce rooms are about half the size of the UniLodge ones.  Just sayin'.

And a bit - you could still be put at UniGardens -shudder-.
---

#1procrastinator

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 09:08:54 pm »
I'll have to use the library's computers tomorrow cause imageshack.us makes my browser freeze plus I'm almost capped

I think the campus is big, everything a lot more spread out than say RMIT in the city