Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:42:42 pm

Author Topic: A Guide to English Language for New/Prospective Students  (Read 19599 times)  Share 

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: The Official Noobs Guide to VCE English Language!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 06:46:53 pm »
yeah, so for anyone whose in year 11, you can still change over if you reckon this english is better for you!
the only disadvantage you would have, imo, would be not knowing metalanguage.. !
which is as mentioned in OP, just 'jargon' of linguistics.
the rest you can pick up!
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +63
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 07:40:30 pm »
yeah, so for anyone whose in year 11, you can still change over if you reckon this english is better for you!
the only disadvantage you would have, imo, would be not knowing metalanguage.. !
which is as mentioned in OP, just 'jargon' of linguistics.
the rest you can pick up!
I only did unit 3/4 and I got 46. It is possible. I found that I wasn't disadvantaged by not doing year 11, there were several people who hadn't in my distance ed class.

;)
aw, but you're in Year 11 yeah?
You COULD still do Language in year 12!

Haha - I don't want to risk it, or stress myself out next year :)

You can pick up English Language 3/4 in year 12, it's possible. Know someone personally who did it, ended up with 45.
hmmm...I'll think about it. I still have a couple of months left to decide - I'll talk to teachers at my school and see how I go with my English grades this semester, and then I'll get back to you. But thanks for the help ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:42:03 pm by Starfish »
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog

Phantom-II

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 08:13:51 pm »
hmmm...I'll think about it. I still have a couple of months left to decide - I'll talk to teachers at my school and see how I go with my English grades this semester, and then I'll get back to you. But thanks for the help ;D

Actually, i would recommend switching into a EL 1/2 class now to see what it's like; depending on how serious your school treat unit 1/2 subjects. Having done more than half a year of normal english should be enough insight to english 3/4 (assuming all 3 essay types have been covered), if you are interested in EL then it would be good to compare the experience before you make the decision.

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 09:06:46 pm »
+4

Actually, i would recommend switching into a EL 1/2 class now to see what it's like; depending on how serious your school treat unit 1/2 subjects. Having done more than half a year of normal english should be enough insight to english 3/4 (assuming all 3 essay types have been covered), if you are interested in EL then it would be good to compare the experience before you make the decision.

Compare the pair.

Same age. Same income. Same super contribution. :P
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 09:21:53 pm »
Starfish, if you get study periods at your school in year 11, and there's a english language class, try that even if your worried about that :)

khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 10:46:54 pm »
Starfish, if you get study periods at your school in year 11, and there's a english language class, try that even if your worried about that :)

Okay. But honestly, I don't have a craving for English Language, and am not going to jump off the West Gate Bridge if I don't get/reject the opportunity to study it next year. I'm perfectly happy with doing normal English, and am in my comfort zone. There is a possibility that your guide has made English language seem more appealing, and thus, I'm thinking I might score higher if I take that subject. But I also think I can score quite high in normal English, so realistically speaking, it's not the end of the World. :P I feel as though we are making a hue and cry about my taking English language  :D !! Appreciate the concern, and I'll give EL a trial with the study period idea this term.
Follow me on my blog

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 11:47:02 pm »
+1
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 11:49:10 pm »

Okay. But honestly, I don't have a craving for English Language, and am not going to jump off the West Gate Bridge if I don't get/reject the opportunity to study it next year. I'm perfectly happy with doing normal English, and am in my comfort zone. There is a possibility that your guide has made English language seem more appealing, and thus, I'm thinking I might score higher if I take that subject. But I also think I can score quite high in normal English, so realistically speaking, it's not the end of the World. :P I feel as though we are making a hue and cry about my taking English language  :D !! Appreciate the concern, and I'll give EL a trial with the study period idea this term.

hehe sorry to come across as sounding forceful/compelling! :p wasn't my (or anyones for that matter!) intentions!
But yeah, go for whatever feels best for you !

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 11:58:15 pm »
Just remember as well, this is VCE English/English Language. If you have a passion for or interest in linguistics but don't get to study it next year, it's no great loss. There's plenty of casual literature which will well inform you on the subject or you could take it as breadth/major in it at university.

Do what you feel comfortable doing next year. Talk to the teachers, talk to former students at your school, and try to weigh up the options. I know you've said that you won't be distressed at not being allowed to do English Language but take comfort in the fact that mainstream English is very, very easy to score highly in.
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 06:26:01 am »
Just remember as well, this is VCE English/English Language. If you have a passion for or interest in linguistics but don't get to study it next year, it's no great loss. There's plenty of casual literature which will well inform you on the subject or you could take it as breadth/major in it at university.

Do what you feel comfortable doing next year. Talk to the teachers, talk to former students at your school, and try to weigh up the options. I know you've said that you won't be distressed at not being allowed to do English Language but take comfort in the fact that mainstream English is very, very easy to score highly in.

This is what drives me to do normal English  :P
Follow me on my blog

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 08:22:56 am »

Hmm, I disagree with the notion that English is very easy to score highly in. I think that to score very highly in English you need to have that natural flair/skill in writing that someone people (like myself) don't have, which is part of the reason I chose English Language. To some people, English is very easy to score in, but if you're like me, you'd be struggling a heap.

I think it's a matter of what your analytical style is. Do you find that you have natural flair in your writing, that is conducive to English? Or do you have a sharp analytical mind and can argue points very logically, although your writing style may be plain and perhaps sometimes vapid - English Language doesn't look at flair so much, it looks simply at clarity and insight.

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 09:01:14 am »

Do you find that you have natural flair in your writing, that is conducive to English? Or do you have a sharp analytical mind and can argue points very logically, although your writing style may be plain and perhaps sometimes vapid - English Language doesn't look at flair so much, it looks simply at clarity and insight.

If that question is directed at me...

I don't believe I am particularly outstanding at either skill (analytical versus flair), but I do believe I am capable of both. Therefore, being equally balanced at both skills raised the question as to whether I should do EL or English  :) I chose English.
Follow me on my blog

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 09:25:47 am »

Do you find that you have natural flair in your writing, that is conducive to English? Or do you have a sharp analytical mind and can argue points very logically, although your writing style may be plain and perhaps sometimes vapid - English Language doesn't look at flair so much, it looks simply at clarity and insight.

If that question is directed at me...

I don't believe I am particularly outstanding at either skill (analytical versus flair), but I do believe I am capable of both. Therefore, being equally balanced at both skills raised the question as to whether I should do EL or English  :) I chose English.

Haha fair enough! :)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 09:57:03 am »
Yeah I don't like the notion that Engilsh is easy to score well in. Theoretically it's the most competitive subject. I s'pose if your idea of 'well' is greater than 30 then yes, it probably wouldn't be too difficult at all. But, easy to score well in the most enrolled subject with no predetermined answers I wouldn't be so sure about. If it was that easy, you'd think Rohit and Paul would've busted out 50s along with the hard math subjects. But yeah, there are a select few that are just naturally good at English and perhaps wouldn't have to work as hard as some to get the same score, but that goes for any subject.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 03:30:13 pm »
^the only reason Paul didn't get a 50 or close to it is because he messed up the Language Analysis section of his exam.