Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 03:19:32 pm

Author Topic: Addressing the stereotypes  (Read 2034 times)  Share 

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Determined to score a 50 in English.
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Addressing the stereotypes
« on: August 19, 2012, 02:14:40 am »
Alright so it's very well known that tv shows like Suits are not an accurate representation of what law is actually like.

Everyone always says this, but nobody ever says HOW law differs in reality.

I mean, tv shows can't be 100% inaccurate in their representation, can they?

I don't know much about this topic, but I would assume that one of the main differentiating factors between reality and the Hollywood representation is the fact that in tv shows, every single case is very interesting and awesome. In reality, you would probably get very few of these amazing cases.

Feel free to correct me and tell me how else tv shows are inaccurate and how they are accurate.
Aspiring doctor. Why? For the same four reasons as everybody else. Chicks, money, power and chicks.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: Addressing the stereotypes
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 07:34:47 am »
House is pretty much 100% inaccurate, its definitely possible

I havent watched suits but somehow I doubt it shows the grunt work of law. Hundreds of hours reading dry and uninteresting documents to prepare a more senior lawyer to appear in court/draft a contract for a merger etc

Also the hours I guess, my mate sleeps at work occasionally and it took him a week to reply to an email I semt him (twice lol)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:36:42 am by BUMCHIN »

kenhung123

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:38:49 am »
+4
I don't see why that is surprising. TV shows are not here to educate you about what a career involves. They would do anything to attract more viewers and they do so by making the show more entertaining.

Surgeon

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Determined to score a 50 in English.
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 10:49:28 am »
I think Law would be a very monotonous, tiring and boring field to work in until you're a barrister. That would be epic.

Call me weird, but I sometimes pretend I'm a barrister and deliver cases into the "people" in my room. I get so excited and worked up haha it's a lot of fun. I feel in my zone.

I havent watched suits but somehow I doubt it shows the grunt work of law. Hundreds of hours reading dry and uninteresting documents to prepare a more senior lawyer to appear in court/draft a contract for a merger etc

Also the hours I guess, my mate sleeps at work occasionally and it took him a week to reply to an email I semt him (twice lol)

I haven't actually watched House so I have no idea what it's about (despite being slightly aware of his controversial practices) but is there absolutely nothing on the whole show, in however many seasons there is, that resembles a minute reality of medicine? That's appalling. But then again, ratings is all they're after.

I don't see why that is surprising. TV shows are not here to educate you about what a career involves. They would do anything to attract more viewers and they do so by making the show more entertaining.

Yeah, you're absolutely right.
Aspiring doctor. Why? For the same four reasons as everybody else. Chicks, money, power and chicks.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 09:33:22 pm »

Yo, I'm a big suits fan so:

It does show the boring shit of law a bit - but because Mike has eidetic memory reading everything etc. is idealised etc. It shows how associates are treated like crap etc. and shows the nature of people pretty decently but other than that its more about watching attractive people be powerful.

gs

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 01:06:55 am »

Hit. Nail. On. Head.
Bachelor of Laws / Bachelor of Business
'VU Achievement Scholarship' recipient