Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 09:24:10 pm

Author Topic: Best degree to do alongside law ?  (Read 3516 times)  Share 

inc0gnito

Best degree to do alongside law ?
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:56:11 pm »
Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinion on what you think will be the best degree to do with law or after law.
I've been leaning towards Commerce for a few months now, but having read about BA (Business Administration). That also sounds like a good option.

So, I wanted to get your opinion on what you think the best options are.

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
Re: Best degree to do alongside law ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 09:02:02 pm »
+1
Are you sure BA = Business Administration, it usually means Arts :P

mark_alec

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:02:41 pm »
+10
The best option is the one that you find the most interesting.

HighLatency

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +38
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 10:04:06 pm »
+2
Can't say for sure but I know a friend that did commerce/law and said that there are a lot of places that like that double degree. She is making like close to 200k at only 27 o.o
This was at Melbourne uni however (back then) and after maintaining a 80%+ whilst in uni she got a internship during 3rd or 4th year which was crazy o.o

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:22:08 pm »
Comm/Law if you are looking at Financial Law and Corporations Law/Tax - generally the highest paying stream. Added benefit is that you have two opportunities to enter a high starting salary position (if that's what you are looking for) if you choose the right majors in your Commerce degree. My Macro Tutor has a B.Comm/LLB (Honours) degree from Melb and is starting his 6 figure job at JP Morgan as of next yr.

ggxoxo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:17:36 pm »
Comm/Law if you are looking at Financial Law and Corporations Law/Tax - generally the highest paying stream. Added benefit is that you have two opportunities to enter a high starting salary position (if that's what you are looking for) if you choose the right majors in your Commerce degree. My Macro Tutor has a B.Comm/LLB (Honours) degree from Melb and is starting his 6 figure job at JP Morgan as of next yr.

What would be the "right majors"??? Is economics/finance double major all right?

Also at Monash why is there a Bachelor of Economics course separate from Bachelor of Commerce? I thought economics was within commerce...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:19:11 am by ggxoxo »

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:07:09 am »
Economics and finance would be the most mathematical based and probably most demanding majors within the commerce dicipline (excl actuarial studies). But keep in mind that the competition within these 2 majors is intense - that 6 figure salary my tutor managed to land was because he had a mid 90 average in his finance major and a mid 80 in law. He has also had experience as a trader with deutch bank during his summer internships.

So keep in mind that while comm/law does in most cases open up more doors - it also means that there are more veeeeery smart cookies trying to fir theough them.

As for why monash offers a b. economics in addition to a b.comm- i can only guess without looking through their handbook (melb uni kid - so we can only do a b.comm unfortunately); but the most likely reason is a b.eco would offer its students a more intense focus within the dicipline. Economics is an enormously broad dicipline and covers an extremely large area of study - from your normal
Micro/macro studies: to econometrics: to financial market economics; international markets/economies - the list goes on. Usually a b.comm with an eco major will give you a good base in micro/macro studies - but anything i have talked about (possibly besides econometrics) would have to be done as electives. Im guessing a b.eco incorporates a lot of the other stuff into the degree.

gibsonaxxxs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 11:00:46 am »
I thought eng/law sounded really cool
It's like a 'basic' degree covering both the maths/science side and the 'humanities' side, giving you heaps of options when you leave university. I mean 'basic' degree because many people who do either degrees don't end up working in that field :D
Just my opinion :)
UMAT 100%ile
MBBS V

ggxoxo

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 11:16:40 am »
Thanks sluu01 :)

And my friend is thinking of eng/law- he just doesn't like the study time- I think it's six years :(

honey-corowa

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School: Some Public School
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:31:39 am »
I think it really depends on the field of law you want to work in-there is environmental, health, commercial...If possible, consider the specifics of the work you want to do, and choose from there! :)
2012: Psych (37)
2013: English Literature Legal Business MUEP: Criminal Justice

Personal Message me, I love everyone.