Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:06:02 am

Author Topic: Interview Prep Courses  (Read 3898 times)  Share 

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
Re: Interview Prep Courses
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 04:11:06 pm »
I personally think that the way many students approach interviews is often misguided, students usually forget that interviews are not essays. It's all well and good if you have heaps of exposure to questions and if you've memorised thousands of answers, but in end, the interview is does test your skill as an orator. If you listen to someone such as Obama or Romney speak, you'll see that they are both great orators, they capture the interest of who is listening not just by what they say, but how they say it, look at their facial expressions, look at their gestures and listen to their intonations and pauses.

Now compare that to an average medical school interviewee, most of whom trip over their words, lack confident and are unable to engage the interviewer.

Thus, it's not just about the questions, it's about how well you orate and how quickly you can think on your feet.

That said, I do recommend brushing up your analytical skills for the MMI as well as making sure you know clearly why you want to do Medicine, what you want to do if you don't get into Medicine as well as what other career options you have considered. Think about why you're suitable for Medicine and think about why you're not. All in all, the key is to know yourself and know what Medicine requires.

TheMirrorMan

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 04:22:38 pm »
I'm just wondering how on earth MedEntry has a near monopoly on UMAT and interview prep. Considering how profitable it is I'm surprised there aren't tons of companies running their own programs.

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 06:23:31 pm »
Other companies don't have near as much rep, nor near as much influence.
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 06:25:56 pm »
Getting into the UMAT business would require a huge amount of capital to get the business started and to even get questions written, no sane investor will invest in such a risk :P