Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:45:09 pm

Author Topic: Psyxwar's Biology 3/4 Question Thread  (Read 58503 times)  Share 

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
Psyxwar's Biology 3/4 Question Thread
« on: November 24, 2012, 09:29:11 pm »
I figure I might as well make a thread now so I don't need to make a thread for every single question I ask.

1) Does the VCE Biology curriculum still recognise the Five Kingdom System (and consequently, Monera?)
2) How much depth do we even need to know about kingdoms besides plants, animals, fungi and bacteria?
3) Is a knowledge of the different types of microscopes relevant at all? I know it isn't in the course, but is it something that I should look into studying?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 09:32:33 pm by psyxwar »
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: Psyxwar's Biology 3/4 Question Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:49:42 pm »
+1
I figure I might as well make a thread now so I don't need to make a thread for every single question I ask.

1) Does the VCE Biology curriculum still recognise the Five Kingdom System (and consequently, Monera?)
2) How much depth do we even need to know about kingdoms besides plants, animals, fungi and bacteria?
3) Is a knowledge of the different types of microscopes relevant at all? I know it isn't in the course, but is it something that I should look into studying?

Thanks.

None of that is relevant for units 3/4 in any depth other than just the basics :)

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 06:14:17 pm »

Thanks.

None of that is relevant for units 3/4 in any depth other than just the basics :)
Thanks. So would I need to know anything about microscopes at all?
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

Jenny_2108

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
  • School: Melbourne Girls College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 06:39:39 pm »
So would I need to know anything about microscopes at all?

nope
2012: Bio | Chem| Spesh | Methods | ESL | Vietnamese
2013-2016: BActuarial studies/BCommerce @ ANU

Thanks to gossamer, TT, pi, laserblued, Thus for helping and supporting me during VCE

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »
So would I need to know anything about microscopes at all?

nope
Okay thanks. What exactly is a "protein plaque"?
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 07:42:32 pm »

Haven't heard of the term before, was there a context to it? (in a sentence etc.)

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:59:03 pm »

Thanks.

Thanks. So would I need to know anything about microscopes at all?

Today we covered the synchrotron and we were told that was all. So basically microscopes aren't really explored in Year 12 Biology. :)
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:00:42 pm »
+1
I assume he's referring to plaques in AD, which is the only context where I've heard protein plaques mentioned before. All you need to know is that they're from a protein called amyloid-beta, that tends to aggregate together in clumps (plaques).

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 12:10:02 am »

Haven't heard of the term before, was there a context to it? (in a sentence etc.)
The context was regarding anchoring junctions.

"Protein plaques connect cells, intermediate filaments extend from the plaque into cytosol of cells"

Is it just a small abnormal patch (of protein) that's within the body?

I assume he's referring to plaques in AD, which is the only context where I've heard protein plaques mentioned before. All you need to know is that they're from a protein called amyloid-beta, that tends to aggregate together in clumps (plaques).
I'm not sure what AD is/are, but that sounds about right. Thanks!
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 09:56:29 am »
Missed this, but AD is Alzheimers Disease and isn't relevant to gap junctions. When the junction forms, there are proteins on both cells that are important for connecting them together in a similar fashion to above.

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 01:15:11 pm »
^Thanks.

When say, a polar molecule like NaCl is dissolved in water, is the attraction between the H and the Cl a hydrogen bond? If it is, aren't they weaker than ionic bonds? How does it manage to "rip apart" the salt compound? Is this because they are surrounded by them/ there is more than one hydrogen around each chlorine? Or am I completely off?

Also do hydrophilic and polar necessarily mean the same thing? My dictionary seems to suggest only molecules can be polar. So would salt be just hydrophilic? (wording in the NOB textbook is a little confusing)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:27:27 pm by psyxwar »
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 01:33:23 pm »
^Thanks.

When say, a polar molecule like NaCl is dissolved in water, is the attraction between the H and the Cl a hydrogen bond? If it is, aren't they weaker than ionic bonds? How does it manage to "rip apart" the salt compound? Is this because they are surrounded by them/ there is more than one hydrogen around each chlorine? Or am I completely off?

Also do hydrophilic and polar necessarily mean the same thing? My dictionary seems to suggest only molecules can be polar. So would salt be just hydrophilic? (wording in the NOB textbook is a little confusing)

1) When NaCl dissolves, ion-dipole bonds are formed. And btw, NaCl is an ionic substance, it is not a polar molecule ;)

2) For the sake of VCE bio, just assume hydrophilic and polar are the same for molecules :) However, ionic substances (salts, etc.) can also be hydrophilic, so hydrophilic is more of a broader term imo. Keep that distinction in mind :)

edit: wrote 1) and 1) -_- woops
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:46:47 pm by pi »

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 01:34:55 pm »
Both questions relate more to Chemistry than Biology, but I'll attempt to explain both. You will learn this at the start of Unit 2 Chemistry.

1. You're spot on. :)

2. For the purposes of Biology, hydrophilic and polar are roughly the same thing. It is true that only molecules can be polar but salts can also dissolve as there is a positive charge and a negative charge involved.

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 01:40:05 pm »
Hydrogen bonds are only N/O/F, not Cl-

I second the ignore the difference between hydrophilic and polar though, biology is bucket chemistry

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 01:42:56 pm »
Hydrogen bonds are only N/O/F, not Cl-

Wow, how could I forget this? :S