Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:42:55 pm

Author Topic: Class of 2014! :D  (Read 1484919 times)  Share 

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +63
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Class of 2014! :D
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2012, 07:28:10 pm »
Thanks! How did you find the combination? Was managing the two subjects alright? How did you divide the time between the two? :)

The good thing about taking methods and psych in year 11 is that they are both totally different - so you can study them one after the other without getting muddled (if you were to take French and Italian in year 11 on the other hand, they're both languages, so you'd get pretty confused if you get my gist  ;) )

Yeah - I think I managed the two pretty well. Admittedly, I didn't devote enough time to my 1/2s during year 11. During the 1st semester I was pumped, so I got satisfactory grades for my 1/2s; in 2nd semester I totally concentrated on my 3/4s and slacked off a bit in my 1/2s. Try and do well and both your 3/4s and 1/2s throughout the year - you'll get tired and less motivated as the year goes by, but just try to do your best in all subjects  :)

As for dividing time - 50/50 for methods and psych. I treated them equally, since I wanted to do well in both. This was my approach - if you're weaker at one subject, obviously you'd spend more time on that  :D
Bachelor of Biomedicine @ The University of Melbourne (II) 2014-2016
Follow me on my blog

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 07:32:12 pm »
do you need a tutor for psych you think or just keep ontop of homework and constant revision?

AbominableMowman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 07:36:58 pm »
Nah, I don't think a tutor's really needed for Bio, unless you're struggling with the content  :)
yeahh, I think I should just wait and see how I go on first SAC, but flicking through the book... it looks alright. I'll just have to wait and see I guess :L
2014 - VCE

2015 - 2017

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 07:44:50 pm »
+1
The good thing about taking methods and psych in year 11 is that they are both totally different - so you can study them one after the other without getting muddled (if you were to take French and Italian in year 11 on the other hand, they're both languages, so you'd get pretty confused if you get my gist  ;) )

Haha, interference theory?  :P

do you need a tutor for psych you think or just keep ontop of homework and constant revision?

Nah, probably not. Psych's less about trying to understand everything, and more about trying to remember it all. I dunno, but personally I don't think a tutor would be all that helpful. It depends on the person I guess. If you do want one though, you can't go past Slumdawg
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 07:49:45 pm »
+2
Haha, interference theory?  :P

Nah, probably not. Psych's less about trying to understand everything, and more about trying to remember it all. I dunno, but personally I don't think a tutor would be all that helpful. It depends on the person I guess. If you do want one though, you can't go past Slumdawg

Lol Scooby - yes - I was thinking about the interference theory! darklight that is something you'll learn to love when you cover memory in psych :)

Also Scooby took the words out of my mouth for the tutor business. But still, I say in order to remember the vast amount of content in psych, you've got to understand the material. Like really understand it - apply it to your everyday life  :) Go have a look at the Psychology board inspector fletcher and have a look at the recent threads - you'll find some great advice from me and a few others in there  :) Also, I'd highly recommend you read sSNake's guide (the stickied thread in the psychology board)!
Follow me on my blog

darklight

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 07:59:56 pm »

Yeah - I think I managed the two pretty well. Admittedly, I didn't devote enough time to my 1/2s during year 11. During the 1st semester I was pumped, so I got satisfactory grades for my 1/2s; in 2nd semester I totally concentrated on my 3/4s and slacked off a bit in my 1/2s. Try and do well and both your 3/4s and 1/2s throughout the year - you'll get tired and less motivated as the year goes by, but just try to do your best in all subjects  :)

As for dividing time - 50/50 for methods and psych. I treated them equally, since I wanted to do well in both. This was my approach - if you're weaker at one subject, obviously you'd spend more time on that  :D

Thanks for the advice!

What do you think about resources? As in are the textbook qns useful/similar to exams, or did you guys use any other study guides, notes etc...:D
2015: Monash MBBS

Scooby

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 08:07:38 pm »
+1
Yeah, I probably didn't make myself all that clear. It's definitely important to understand the content (elaborative rehearsal, anyone? :P), I just meant that, you know, in Psych, the content isn't ridiculously hard to understand. I mean, you're probably gonna understand it a bit easier than you would Spesh or something. The hard part about Psych is that there's a lot to remember, especially for next year's bunch, since there's only an end-of-year exam. The good thing is that you can relate pretty much everything you learn in Psych to everyday life, as Starfish said, which you might not be able to do as easily with something like Methods  :P

And yeah, definitely read sSNake's guide!
2012-2013: VCE - Biology [50]
2015-2017: Bachelor of Science (Pharmacology & Physiology) @ Monash
2018-2021: Doctor of Medicine @ Melbourne

Tutoring Biology in 2019. Send me a PM if you're interested! :)

REBORN

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 08:09:28 pm »
+3
haha, it's a tad out-dated now but still helpful I guess.

here it is for reference: A General Guide For Psychology.

(scroll down half way)
Doctor of Medicine

darklight

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 08:50:23 pm »
What do you guys recommend re: research methods?
My teacher seemed to indicate that I should definitely memorise all the terms in the topic but others say it's a waste of time?
2015: Monash MBBS

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 08:51:41 pm »
+1
Yeah, I probably didn't make myself all that clear. It's definitely important to understand the content (elaborative rehearsal, anyone? :P), I just meant that, you know, in Psych, the content isn't ridiculously hard to understand. I mean, you're probably gonna understand it a bit easier than you would Spesh or something. The hard part about Psych is that there's a lot to remember, especially for next year's bunch, since there's only an end-of-year exam. The good thing is that you can relate pretty much everything you learn in Psych to everyday life, as Starfish said, which you might not be able to do as easily with something like Methods  :P

And yeah, definitely read sSNake's guide!

*snort* - LOL  :D
Follow me on my blog

Limista

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 09:32:54 pm »
+1
What do you guys recommend re: research methods?
My teacher seemed to indicate that I should definitely memorise all the terms in the topic but others say it's a waste of time?

Research methods is not a waste of time - it is very important. Both extended responses for this year's exams were on research methods...so you can clearly see it's important. You'll also have an important research methods SAC in term 4.
I agree with your teacher. But not only memorise all the terms, learn how to apply them. By this I mean - sure, you know what an operational hypothesis is, but how would you write one? Stuff like reliability and validity they don't ask so much, but you should definitely know what the terms mean and the different types.
You'll find RM really tedious at first, but once you practice it (like do questions on it and stuff, don't just mug the theory as I'm sure you know from 1/2 anyways haha) you'll start to realise that it's straightforward.  :)
Follow me on my blog

AbominableMowman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 09:52:28 pm »
+3
All this psych talk is really psyching me out... ;D

Lamest. Pun. Ever
2014 - VCE

2015 - 2017

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 10:05:50 pm »
Trendsetting 2013ers. 8)

You know something's not quite right when you can write up a useful guide and get +6 respect, yet make a short sentence like this one and get +10. This has happened before though, when I got +12 for a sentence. xD
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

FlorianK

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 10:11:48 pm »
For those doing Methods 3/4 next year:
Make sure to post all questions that you have problems with into the methods Forum.
Last year the person, who posted the most questions (Bazza) got a 50, I guess there is some sort of correlation.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 10:53:12 pm »
+3
The class of 2014 is cool :D