Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 01:44:28 pm

Author Topic: TAFE to ANU, eligible for academic merit scholarship?  (Read 10615 times)  Share 

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: TAFE to ANU, eligible for academic merit scholarship?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 08:21:48 pm »
Which one? ANU Sci(Adv) or UoW Eng(Sch)?
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

galapagos

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 10:58:54 pm »
PhB (hons) science

(sorry, completely forgot to mention which degree)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:07:09 pm by galapagos »
Tertiary Preparation Certificate, TAFE, 2012

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +36
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 11:17:24 pm »
Have you decided what you'll do?
2012: VCE - 99.10
2013: PhB(Sci)@ANU

galapagos

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 11:19:56 pm »
I'm going to wait and see if I will get the relocation scholarship - if I do then I will def. go the PhB route for a year, and re-evaluate things then. Help me decide? You seem to have your heart set on PhB, what do you want to go into?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:25:56 pm by galapagos »

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:36 pm »
Yeah well I've already accepted the uni and accommodation offers, so I am very much set on PhB :)

Are you more interested in hands-on and engineering or more theoretical stuff? I think that will play a pretty big role in your decision.
I was considering aerospace engineering but I made the decision that doing science and then postgrad engineering makes more sense than undergrad engineering into postgrad science (I ruled out a double degree because I couldn't combine degrees with PhB or BEng(Space)(Aero) at USyd).

Pick the PhB if you want to do the best undergrad science degree in Australia. Simple as that. It will give you a head start should you go into academia and it will also give you an edge over regular BSc students in industry/workforce.

As for what I want to go into... Good question... At the moment I have my heart set on majoring in mathematical modelling and physics, which gives me a huge number of opportunities in academia/industry/R&D/workforce.
Ultimately I can see myself in R&D or working for companies like SpaceX/ArianeSpace

galapagos

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 11:52:28 pm »
That's very interesting, and I see you have set yourself some clear goals, which is great.

The problem is, I'm not 100% sure what I like. For years I had really wanted to do scientific research, probably in infectious diseases, but then this year I met so many problems with getting into USYD and UNSW (they won't accept me because I'm 'too young' - mind you, I'm 20) that I started looking into other fields and liked engineering (but to a lesser extent than infectious disease research).

Now all of a sudden I have an offer to study PhB; I didn't do year 12 and nor did I submit an application, so I'm genuinely surprised at the offer (and insanely happy). So now it's like: go with engineering and have a stable income, housing etc. or do PhB and rely on scholarships for the first year, then I don't know... it's all very difficult and confusing, especially because I have a lot of pressure on me that no year 12 leavers would have.

Can I ask what residence you'll be at? I'm looking at Fenner Hall (for numerous reasons).

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 12:11:55 am »
I just realised I kinda addressed your post backwards haha

I accepted an offer for Fenner Hall (hoping I can get that half-price rent bursary for PhB students haha...)

I think it's still very plausible for you to have a stable income and whatnot in scientific research, I know very little about the medical side of things, but the outlook shouldn't be bleak.
Have you looked into receiving allowance from Centrelink to help ease some of the stress you may face in relocation etc.?

Also bear in mind that doing the PhB doesn't rule you out of engineering if you want to go down that path, in fact I may end up doing just that...

I say follow whatever it is you feel most strongly about. If infectious disease research tickles your fancy, then do it. Picking the PhB allows you to pursue that, but also, should you feel the need, engineering or mathematics or computational biology or artificial intelligence or climate science or... You get the point haha. Conversely, doing an engineering degree won't allow you to do medical research. Just something to consider.

galapagos

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 12:23:02 am »
I just realised I kinda addressed your post backwards haha

I accepted an offer for Fenner Hall (hoping I can get that half-price rent bursary for PhB students haha...)

I think it's still very plausible for you to have a stable income and whatnot in scientific research, I know very little about the medical side of things, but the outlook shouldn't be bleak.
Have you looked into receiving allowance from Centrelink to help ease some of the stress you may face in relocation etc.?

Also bear in mind that doing the PhB doesn't rule you out of engineering if you want to go down that path, in fact I may end up doing just that...

I say follow whatever it is you feel most strongly about. If infectious disease research tickles your fancy, then do it. Picking the PhB allows you to pursue that, but also, should you feel the need, engineering or mathematics or computational biology or artificial intelligence or climate science or... You get the point haha. Conversely, doing an engineering degree won't allow you to do medical research. Just something to consider.

lol, me too about Fenner hall...don't know how successful I'll be but eh. There are many other reasons why I would like to go there so not terribly bad if I don't get one. I actually have centrelink payments (they're not helping much).

Do you think there will be a decent possibility of gaining research-related jobs in breaks? or something similar?

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 12:39:47 am »
If you are already receiving Centrelink payments aren't you automatically eligible for rent assistance and a start up scholarship? (meant for textbooks and whatnot - I would find the link on the Centrelink page but I'm on my phone)

Yeah check out summer research scholarships (doesn't necessarily have to be at ANU) and also some IARU global research scholarships or something like that. (Once again, would link but I'm on my phone)
The only thing is that they are typically only offered to third/honours year students or exceptional second year students. Also you could look at internships, but I don't know much about that :(

I think in the 2013/14 break I might just work part-time and do one or two summer subjects as part of the PhB and then try as hard as I can to get a research scholarship over the 2014/15 break.

Lasercookie

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +326
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 12:43:58 am »
+1
If you are already receiving Centrelink payments aren't you automatically eligible for rent assistance and a start up scholarship? (meant for textbooks and whatnot - I would find the link on the Centrelink page but I'm on my phone)
Here are the links: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/youth-allowance
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/student-start-up-scholarship
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/rent-assistance
http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/relocation-scholarship

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 12:46:35 am »
Thanks laser ;)

galapagos

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 12:55:33 am »
Thanks for that.

I'm not on Youth Allowance, but DSP and Pensioner education supplement. My financial situation is damn complicated, especially as most of my income goes towards things that cannot be eliminated.
I don't know about rent assistance.

The start up and relocation scholarship website says you must be "receiving ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Austudy, or Youth Allowance as a full-time student".

Clearly I have to go to Centrelink tomorrow haha.

galapagos

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 11:27:49 am »
+2
Accommodation is sorted, I received an offer for Fenner Hall :)

rife168

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 12:36:15 pm »
Awesome, congrats!
I talked to them about the Bobbie Fenner Scholarship (half price rent) and they said that they organise it in mid-March. So there will be a few weeks of full price rent, 2 of which are included in the $1213.80 acceptance fee.

galapagos

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 06:54:49 pm »
+1
Yup, I also spoke to somebody about the scholarship and it seems like most if not all phb kids who apply get it (based upon the last few years). I'm excited! I am going to live in the mature-age student wings though, because that would suit me better.

I found out about the PhB/MBBS pathway, that sounds like something I might like to do :)

I've read about some sort of camp for first years in the phb program, do you know anything about this?