Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 10:06:14 am

Author Topic: Maths methods prerequisite question  (Read 5385 times)  Share 

wolfbeaver

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Maths methods prerequisite question
« on: January 05, 2013, 09:44:05 am »
Im looking into the bachelor of environments and majoring into property the following year. However, im reading that to major in property I require maths methods ¾, Or have completed units ½ and then take a bredth subject tha is equivalent to units 3/4 . I havent done any units of methods and am wondering if i would still be able to to take the bredth subject so i can major in property?

mc1316

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
Re: Maths methods prerequisite question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:49:59 pm »
Im looking into the bachelor of environments and majoring into property the following year. However, im reading that to major in property I require maths methods ¾, Or have completed units ½ and then take a bredth subject tha is equivalent to units 3/4 . I havent done any units of methods and am wondering if i would still be able to to take the bredth subject so i can major in property?

If you haven't read this: https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/view/2013/%21B-ENVS-MAJ%2B1022, read it, it has all the information. Summarizing it, it says is mathematics is ASSUMED, meaning is not a prerequisites. If you do "MAST10012 -Introduction to Mathematics" in your first year you are covered for this assumed knowledge - you don't have too do it, however it is highly recommended. Even if you don't you can still major in property.

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:25:25 pm »
+2
Actully, you do need methods. Because one of the core subjects in a property major - principles of property requires methods 3/4 as a prerequisite.

Futhermore, prerequisite subjects to principles of property (like micro or macro economics requires methods as a prerequisite).

mc1316

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 07:41:50 pm »
Actully, you do need methods. Because one of the core subjects in a property major - principles of property requires methods 3/4 as a prerequisite.

Futhermore, prerequisite subjects to principles of property (like micro or macro economics requires methods as a prerequisite).

You don't need it, as in it is a requirement for the property major, but rather it is a recommended subject. They don't recommend subjects they think is unnecessary (maybe its the problem solving skills developed in maths they want).

sluu001

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
  • School: University of Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:58:56 pm »
Are you sure? Because ABPL20031 - Principle of Property; looks like a core subject for a property major.

mc1316

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:24:23 am »
Are you sure? Because ABPL20031 - Principle of Property; looks like a core subject for a property major.

sorry. i went back and checked you are correct. my bad. you HAVE TO do MAST10012 (unless you have methods) if you want to major in property. The key thing is, not having done methods does not prohibit you in doing the property major, but rather it means you must do MAST10012.

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 03:11:28 am »
" Mathematical requirements: A study score of at least 25 in Mathematical Methods 3 & 4 (or equivalent) is required for applicants intending to major in Civil Systems, Construction, Environmental Science, Geomatics, Environmental Engineering Systems or Property. Applicants who have achieved a study score of at least 25 in Mathematical Methods 1 & 2 (or equivalent) can also enrol in one of these majors providing they undertake the bridging subject, Introduction to Mathematics MAST10012 as breadth in their first year."

I think they must have stuffed up, seeing that you can't get a study score in a 1/2. But going off this and the handbook, it would seem like you either have to do Methods 3/4 or Methods 1/2 & MAST10012.

Bachelor of Environments Entry Requirements