Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 08:11:54 am

Author Topic: Timetable  (Read 59003 times)  Share 

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Timetable
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 01:55:07 pm »
Just deciding my breadths again.
Sidetracking for a moment,

If I did physics 3/4, can I just do Physics 2?
if my plans for med fail, ill consider mechanical engineering (3 year course) so hence why i need to do physics. i was planning on doing it 2nd year, but with the semantics sub being a level 3, i might do a level 2 ling subject in sem2, and do physics 2 in sem1.
So yeah, will physics 2 suffice for mechanical engineering(3 year course), and am i able to just to physics 2 cause i've done 3/4 physics?
i was thinking of doing Physics 2: Life Sciences & Environment
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

John President

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mostly Harmless
  • Respect: +45
  • School: Kids, stay in it.
  • School Grad Year: 2010
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 02:00:37 pm »
+1
would u guys recommend 3 hour bio workshop for 9-12 or 1.15-4.15? is finishing at 4.15 kinda late? :/
Finishing at 4.15 is quite normal. I'd pick the 1.15-4.15 myself, but I live in the burbs and am not an early riser. Of course, you'd better check that the rest of your timetable fits first.

And Bhootnike, you have to do (any) Physics 1 before you do (either) Physics 2.
The Finnish word pilkunnussija, which translates literally to “comma fucker,” is someone who risks his social wellbeing to annoyingly and persistently point out punctuation errors.

Completed VCE in 2010 - Now doing BSc at UoM

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 02:07:46 pm »
question - is it wise to put a biol lec at 9 to 10, then a chem from 10 to 11?
i mean, the time it'd take to get from one room to another, wouldnt i end up being late to the chem lecture haha?

You get a ten minute break between back to back lectures to get to class. If you can put bio and chem lectures next to each other that's best because they are probably in the same lecture theatre like they were for 2012.

I might just change from semantics to " Language in Aboriginal Australia" , which is a level 2 subject and has no background knowledge needed.

Intercultural communication is also a decent linguistics subject (level 1)

2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 02:14:08 pm »
Finishing at 4.15 is quite normal. I'd pick the 1.15-4.15 myself, but I live in the burbs and am not an early riser. Of course, you'd better check that the rest of your timetable fits first.

And Bhootnike, you have to do (any) Physics 1 before you do (either) Physics 2.

balllsss.
damn it haha.

ill have to do physics 1 in sem1 in place of a breadth then, and then physics 2 in second year..

You get a ten minute break between back to back lectures to get to class. If you can put bio and chem lectures next to each other that's best because they are probably in the same lecture theatre like they were for 2012.

Intercultural communication is also a decent linguistics subject (level 1)

oo thats good then! just checked, i think they are in the same place so all good haha:)

yeah? i checked the subject overview, i didnt find it appealing :p
did you do it ?
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 02:15:59 pm »
um, for physics 1,
why is a prereq physics 2 haha?

https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/view/2013/PHYC10003 :-\

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 02:20:05 pm »
balllsss.
damn it haha.

ill have to do physics 1 in sem1 in place of a breadth then, and then physics 2 in second year..

oo thats good then! just checked, i think they are in the same place so all good haha:)

yeah? i checked the subject overview, i didnt find it appealing :p
did you do it ?

Yeha I wrote a review on it in subject reviews & ratings
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

tulip

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 02:28:36 pm »
What time does timetabling open on the 4th of Feb?

Aegis

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:27 pm »
+2
What time does timetabling open on the 4th of Feb?

I think its 10am
2012-2014:Bachelor of Biomedicine at the University of Melbourne

kensan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Do you even lift?
  • Respect: +20
  • School: L.C.
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 02:48:01 pm »
+1
I think its 10am
Yep 10am, but another user told me you need to log on like 9am because it gets mega packed and the site won't work.

Also is it better to have tutes/pracs later in the week after the lectures? That's the impression I have at the moment lol
2013: BSc at UoM

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 02:50:43 pm »
+1
What subject is physics a prerequisite for? I don't have to do any, but maybe cos I'm doing Comm/Mech breadth stream. I've checked with subject coordinators and they said as long as my grades are alright and I haven't failed they'll let me do the subject. It's just that they'll expect me to put in more effort to bridge the gap in my physics knowledge.

Generally the stuff you do in pracs and tutes are from the previous week so it doesn't matter when you have it.

Aegis

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 03:05:09 pm »
Yep 10am, but another user told me you need to log on like 9am because it gets mega packed and the site won't work.

Yes the site gets mega-packed making it very slow or even crash. 9am is fine

Honestly i think it doesnt matter where you put your tutes/pracs
2012-2014:Bachelor of Biomedicine at the University of Melbourne

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 03:22:57 pm »
What subject is physics a prerequisite for? I don't have to do any, but maybe cos I'm doing Comm/Mech breadth stream. I've checked with subject coordinators and they said as long as my grades are alright and I haven't failed they'll let me do the subject. It's just that they'll expect me to put in more effort to bridge the gap in my physics knowledge.

Generally the stuff you do in pracs and tutes are from the previous week so it doesn't matter when you have it.

im basically not doing any eng subjects in my BsC, and am hoping i get into my preferred grad. entry of either med or dds.
If i fail to do so, ill do engineering, except it'll be 3 years, not 2 (which is if i had done the eng. subjects in my BsC)

but mechanical engineering requires that I do calc 2, linear alg, and apparently physics.
now im not sure if its both physics 1 and 2, or just physics 2  - given that ive completed unit 3/4 physics.

update:

i chose to do intercultural communication 1st year, 1st sem.
if it happens that i can do physics 2 straight up, ill do that in first year, 2nd semester instead of a breadth.
if i cant, ill do physics 1 in 1st year second semester, then physics 2 in second year.

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 03:24:43 pm »

howzat?

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 03:40:02 pm »
+1
To get into any graduate engineering programme without having an Engineering Systems major, you need to complete 25 points (2 courses) of relevant science (whether that be physics, chemistry or biology) at tertiary level. So if you're gonna do Mechanical, Electrical or Civil engineering, you need to complete Physics 1 and 2.

Even though you can skip to Physics 2 after doing VCE Physics doesn't mean that Physics 1 = Physics VCE. VCE Physics is covered in Fundamentals and Physics 1 has new material that should be learnt for a Mech major.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 03:55:19 pm »
To get into any graduate engineering programme without having an Engineering Systems major, you need to complete 25 points (2 courses) of relevant science (whether that be physics, chemistry or biology) at tertiary level. So if you're gonna do Mechanical, Electrical or Civil engineering, you need to complete Physics 1 and 2.

Even though you can skip to Physics 2 after doing VCE Physics doesn't mean that Physics 1 = Physics VCE. VCE Physics is covered in Fundamentals and Physics 1 has new material that should be learnt for a Mech major.

ah, right :) thanks,
ill do physics 1 in semester 2 instead of a breadth then :)

meaning this is probably what semester  2 will be like:

chem 2   bio 2    lin alg      physics 1

and second year:
biochem                    anatomy                 physiology                                                    breadth
principles of mbiol and immun,   microbes, infection, responses       physics 2             breadth

third year.

major in micro, infection and immunology, with 1 breadth (to complete 300 points)