Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:41:11 am

Author Topic: Books?  (Read 7248 times)  Share 

panicatthelunchbar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Books?
« on: January 29, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »
Hey guys, so everyone I've talked to so far say they've never really bought books for uni...and it really depends on what ur doing...
How important is it to purchase books for law subjects, and if it is, which topics should we buy them for? I've got a booklist for my units at uni, but don't know which ones are most important

Thanks

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
Re: Books?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:41:33 am »
For ILR just buy the prescribed textbook (Laying Down the Law) and use the library if you need any of the other books (you won't).
For contracts get both the prescribed Casebook (Commentary and Materials) and the recommended 'Principles' textbook.

panicatthelunchbar

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:08:42 pm »
Thank you!

platypus

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • sleeping
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:27:45 am »
for the contract books, does it matter if we don't buy the most recent edition?
2013: BComm/LLB @ Monash

TonyEcon

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 02:02:01 pm »
for the contract books, does it matter if we don't buy the most recent edition?

Personally, I'd recommend buying the latest edition. There have been a few landmark cases in the past few years for example ie penalties with the banks/ PE rule Saleh v Romanous etc etc
Bachelor of Law/Commerce @Monash
Premier's Awards:
Australian Politics (50) and International Studies (50)
Private Message for tutoring

platypus

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • sleeping
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 05:37:51 pm »
ok thanks :)
2013: BComm/LLB @ Monash

mc.blackbox

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:47:32 am »
On the same note, which text books I should buy for Torts and Property? Cheers.

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 05:13:43 pm »
On the same note, which text books I should buy for Torts and Property? Cheers.

Torts casebook isn't all that helpful but I suppose is good to have. Otherwise, Law of Torts in Australia by Cane Lunney and Trindade is excellent. Karinne Ludlow's book is good as well (should be on the recommended list). Finally the Buterworths tutorial series for Torts by Malkin and Davies (not to be confused with the torts book by Balkin and Davis) is really good.

For property all you need is the Casebook by Sackville and Neave - it is really good. For property A, I would also recommend Land Law by Webb and Stephenson - I don't think it is on the booklist but it is one of the best summary books for Prop A.

mc.blackbox

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 08:54:57 pm »
Thank you Lynton :)

Sah123

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 01:46:59 pm »
Generally, do you (law students) recommend purchasing ebooks or regular books? I do like the ability to highlight as I go but I also don't want to have to lug around heavy material.

Another question - in terms of note-taking, would it be be better to write or type the notes? Again,  I am usually one to write my notes but am wondering whether law will be different :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:07:52 pm by Sah123 »

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 06:42:36 am »
ebooks are useless for law because:
1) hard to highlight/underline/note which you will be doing a lot of
2) ebook prices are actually more expensive than the physical books because Monash students get a discount at Monash law book store
3) can't resell the ebook at the end of the year (you will be doing this - can recoup 75%+ of the purchase price).

Lugging the books around is definitely a pain but you don't need to take the heavy books to uni regularly and if you want to do some reading at uni you can always borrow the book from the library.

As for handwriting versus typing it is mostly personal preference so see what works for you. I'd say 80% of law students type their notes. There is a lot of information in each lecture so handwriting can be quite tiring and you may miss things because some lecturers can speak quite fast. On the other hand the exams are all handwritten and you need to be able to write super fast in exams so handwriting in lectures is good practice for that.

If you do go for typing I recommend you use OneNote (not available on mac) because it is really helpful for organising your law notes.

zhenzhenzhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Not part of the furniture
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 03:01:44 pm »
For LAW7470, (Introduction to Legal Reasoning and Methods):

"Laying Down the Law" is an Additional Text and not prescribed. Was it the same for the undergraduate equivalent?
2010 - 2013: Bachelor of Software Engineering - Monash (completed w/ alternative exit to B. Comp Sci)
2014 - 2016: Master of Laws (Juris Doctor) - Monash

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 05:43:01 pm »
Are notes the type of thing you really should be taking for Law? I preferred to just sit and watch the Arts lectures. Is tat feasible for high grades in Law, or should I be stocking up on jotter pads?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 08:35:23 pm »
You generally do need to take notes unless you plan on diligently doing all of the readings before lectures and taking good notes on them, in which case you could probably just sit back and take the lecture as a refresher. Then again, I've never not taken notes and I can't imagine not doing it, so maybe you just have a learning style that is beyond my comprehension :P
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 08:40:55 pm »
Hahaha, thank you Ninwa. God. That's a tough choice. Either way I have to do something :(
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️