Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 05:12:44 pm

Author Topic: Year 12 Class of 2013 Discussion Thread  (Read 445174 times)  Share 

michak

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
  • School: Westbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Year 12 Class of 2013 Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 10:18:18 pm »
+2
I know :( But I have that guilty feeling that I'm being far too ambitious. Perhaps I can alter my goals after my first SAC.

The reality of hitting A+ for each outcome hit me. I may be underestimating myself too :) Lets hope so hey!

Perhaps if you correct all my work I could aim higher ;)

I didnt get an A+ for each english SAC, in fact I got one and one B and still managed 40. My SACS in the end scaled to A+ (probs low).
If you got A+ every SAC and ranked one and killed the exam you would get a lot higher than 40.

I dont think you are being too ambitious at all. :)
2011: Bio [36]
2012: Legal [42] PE [43] Chem [33] English [40] Methods [25] 
ATAR: 93.30
2013: B. Arts at Monash University
2014: Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Arts at Monash

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 01:21:57 am »
+1
I know :( But I have that guilty feeling that I'm being far too ambitious. Perhaps I can alter my goals after my first SAC.

The reality of hitting A+ for each outcome hit me. I may be underestimating myself too :) Lets hope so hey!

Hmmm... too ambitious...?
Bit confused as to what that could mean. Hmm.
I feel it's appropriate to let you know that I was aiming around 38-40 for English... And at one point of the year I resigned to having Further as my increment subject and aimed for a 33. I guess you know the end of that story... right?
Heh, post it up on the forums and I will! I try to mark every essay that goes through lol.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Get in my Beamer Benz or Bentley
  • Respect: +68
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 07:27:07 am »
Hmmm... too ambitious...?
Bit confused as to what that could mean. Hmm.
I feel it's appropriate to let you know that I was aiming around 38-40 for English... And at one point of the year I resigned to having Further as my increment subject and aimed for a 33. I guess you know the end of that story... right?
Heh, post it up on the forums and I will! I try to mark every essay that goes through lol.

I will definitely put a ton of effort in for English this year. I believe what I'm most afraid of is criticism, which I shouldn't be of course. I'm afraid that people will think my essays are rubbish. But now I think that I'd rather semi-embarrass myself so people let me know it's good or bad so I can improve it, because I'd rather my peers say it's bad rather than the English marker and assessor.

You are quite the inspiration for me mate :) I will be posting up essays, don't you worry haha.
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

English, Physics, Chemistry, Methods, Further, Business

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 11:44:08 am »
+1
Well if it makes you feel any better, VivaT absolutely shit canned one of my essays and have it a 4/10. Ended up being the first number on my study score, no? It's natural to fear criticism, but no one judges your character based on your essay. I'm not gonna lie, your essays probably are rubbish right now. All the more reason to post them! Ill mark them all. Glad I can be an inspiration for you :))

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 12:11:22 pm »
+3

Yeah Kesh - look it's natural for your essays to be a little rubbish at the start of the year. I was shitting a brick when I got my first essay back for Englang in Year 12 (it was a 11.5/15=B+ I think) and I was like...shit...B+ = 32-33 study score. Did I make a gargantuan mistake by taking Englang? And I thought that that was my best effort and I would never be able to improve.

Throughout the year I seemed to be getting the same scores (between 11.5 and 13 - B+ to A). Whilst they were better, I was quite concerned that I was not going to fare so well in the subject. I knew my teacher was a very hard marker, but I thought that's how examiners marked.

By the end of the year, close to the exam, I remember reading my grades - I was getting about 13.5-14/15 for my essays (A/A+). I remember reading them and I was like "hold up, I actually improved!!"

You don't realise it man until you reach the end of the year and you're like (shit! I'm actually getting 9's now instead of like 4's!) so you'll find that you don't see yourself improving - you have to push on. The reward will come at the end of the year.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:15:02 pm by TRex »
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 01:29:41 pm »
Damn straight ^

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 01:55:58 pm »
+2
Well said guys!! I'll be posting and posting then :) It's the only way I'll improve so I'm up for it!
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 02:42:11 pm »
Good to hear  ;D

Mr Keshy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 03:26:25 pm »
I think it'd be kinda cool (lol I'm weird) if I keep a portfolio of all my essay submissions this year and see the gradual improvements (hopefully!!) that I make. Hopefully it'd encourage others to work harder as well!
Please... Call me Kesh

Subjects

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 07:27:09 pm »
+4
I think it'd be kinda cool (lol I'm weird) if I keep a portfolio of all my essay submissions this year and see the gradual improvements (hopefully!!) that I make. Hopefully it'd encourage others to work harder as well!
OMFG BEST IDEA EVER. I kept some of my essays. I think my teacher has a few as examples. Emily's giving me all of her essays as well. It's seriously so good for nostalgia's sake - and more importantly to show the kids I'm helping at my school. Definitely keep that portfolio. I don't give marks out of 10, I just absolute rape essays with feedback (you may have seen)... I told my kids, you don't need marks, because you'll see less of my pen on the page over time, and if you ever find an entire essay blank, you're going to get a 50 LOL.

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:21 pm »
+2

It does feel ambitious, but if you believe in yourself, you can pull it off and it definitely feels amazing to do in a subject like English. :)

It's not the end of the world if you don't get a consistent A+ streak though. You can afford to drop a few As, just smash your exam.

I got A+ for every SAC last year, only dropping 1-3 marks according to my teacher, but some of my friends who were on an A average managed to beast the exam and still beat my study score. Lots of people improve immensely during the SWOTVAC period.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 09:07:44 pm »
Lots of people improve immensely during the SWOTVAC period.
I can definitely attest to this. I did s some crazy shit (6 essay in one day), read different parts of 12AM soo many times. Had massive text brainstormig sessions with Em that went for like 6 hours a pop. I was already at a high level but SWOTVAC was like I'd reached Bowser's Castle and it was like: beast mode, activate!
P.o.s - never give up because you might just improve from a 7 to a 10 in a three week period :p

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 09:13:55 pm »
OMFG BEST IDEA EVER. I kept some of my essays. I think my teacher has a few as examples. Emily's giving me all of her essays as well. It's seriously so good for nostalgia's sake - and more importantly to show the kids I'm helping at my school. Definitely keep that portfolio. I don't give marks out of 10, I just absolute rape essays with feedback (you may have seen)... I told my kids, you don't need marks, because you'll see less of my pen on the page over time, and if you ever find an entire essay blank, you're going to get a 50 LOL.

Defs do this. It's more of an incentive to write more once you realise how quickly pile is building up and the crazy amount of essays you've already done. XD I still have all of mine...hahah :P

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 09:41:55 pm »
Defs do this. It's more of an incentive to write more once you realise how quickly pile is building up and the crazy amount of essays you've already done. XD I still have all of mine...hahah :P

Here's your goal. Match my mate. 100 essays throughout the year.
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 09:45:09 pm »
Can't. XD