Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 18, 2024, 02:40:41 pm

Author Topic: Media 2013 narratives  (Read 3184 times)  Share 

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Media 2013 narratives
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:30:48 pm »
Just wondering what films you are all studying this year for your narrative component?

I've got Psycho and Run Lola Run, and we are apparently looking at the Lion King later on for social values.

Good luck to everyone this year!  :D
2012: Psychology
2013: Media, English, Legal Studies, Business Management, Food Tech

Markkiieee

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +10
  • School: Mill Park secondary college.
Re: Media 2013 narratives
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:36:02 pm »
Buffy: The vampire slayer

aislinm

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:45:38 pm »
The Sixth Sense and Snatch :)

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:13:42 pm »
+1
I studied Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, The Dark Knight, Leave It To Beaver, Glee and Modern Family last year (last three for social values) in case anyone cares haha.

So lucky that you're doing The Lion King! What's your discourse?
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Markkiieee

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:06:54 am »
I studied Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, The Dark Knight, Leave It To Beaver, Glee and Modern Family last year (last three for social values) in case anyone cares haha.

Why so many?

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 10:01:49 pm »
Titanic and SPR were studied in class for Narrative and LITB and Modern Family in class for Social Values. The other two I studied independently for the exam (:
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Wu

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
  • School: RSC
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 06:39:56 pm »
+1
Why so many?

The new study designs requires minimum two texts for the social values/SAC 2 outcome.
You should have studied: 2 movies for narrative, 2~4 for social values (my class studied four -- I chose to focus on all four so that I could pull out whatever comparisons the exam and SAC could dish out) and preferably a few songs, advertisements and other forms for media influence (such as TAC ads, songs which have been censored, etc).
2012:
Media [49] | Vis Com [41]

2013:
Maths Methods [36] | Economics [47] | Eng Lang [46] | Literature [39]

2014:
Com/law@Monash

Markkiieee

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:07:15 pm »
The new study designs requires minimum two texts for the social values/SAC 2 outcome.
You should have studied: 2 movies for narrative, 2~4 for social values (my class studied four -- I chose to focus on all four so that I could pull out whatever comparisons the exam and SAC could dish out) and preferably a few songs, advertisements and other forms for media influence (such as TAC ads, songs which have been censored, etc).

Oh WOW... my school is only doing 2 (same show, different episodes) .......

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 11:10:27 pm »
+1
songs which have been censored

That's an interesting one, actually! It makes me think about the widespread shock and horror and condemnation of any portrayal of anything sexual in the media (and indeed, in all walks of life) despite our readiness to be exposed to gratuitous violence almost everywhere we look, which is arguably a lot worse. It's the kind of cultural value which leads to kids under the age of 5 being given guns which can kill people but their parents kicking up an almighty fuss if they see vaguely sexual content anywhere. It'd be a great case study!

Wu

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
  • School: RSC
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 03:41:07 pm »
Oh WOW... my school is only doing 2 (same show, different episodes) .......
As copied from the 2012 examiner's report (social values section):
"Finally, many students only made reference to one text, or saw additional texts as being merely supportive to their ‘main’ text. This is not how the revised study design presents this Area of Study, as it asks for students to look at a range of texts within a specific discourse. The most successful responses came from students who knew a number of texts well and equally, and were able to reference between them."
As long as you are able to fully compare/contrast characters, discourses, values etc. then it should be fine.

That's an interesting one, actually! It makes me think about the widespread shock and horror and condemnation of any portrayal of anything sexual in the media (and indeed, in all walks of life) despite our readiness to be exposed to gratuitous violence almost everywhere we look, which is arguably a lot worse. It's the kind of cultural value which leads to kids under the age of 5 being given guns which can kill people but their parents kicking up an almighty fuss if they see vaguely sexual content anywhere. It'd be a great case study!
We didn't technically study the songs but just discussing about ones which have been censored was good practice (example: Akon ft David Guetta's "Sexy Bitch" to "Sexy Chick" and ones which have been *bleeped*). You bring up a good point. Our views and values are also shown via how we as a society react to various ideas and whether we see them as threatening (the degree of influence) they have on us.
A tad bit early but here are a few case studies which can be looked into for media influence:
Grand Theft Auto
Banned advertisements (think the Mentos and Nandos ad)
TAC
Egypt twitter revolution
2012:
Media [49] | Vis Com [41]

2013:
Maths Methods [36] | Economics [47] | Eng Lang [46] | Literature [39]

2014:
Com/law@Monash

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 09:34:08 pm »

We haven't fully entered discussion yet, but it appears that The Lion King is actually based on racism in America during the time the film was made. Apparently the hyenas represent minority groups of the time?
I'm not 100% sure, but when I get the proper details I will be sure to let you know!

uprising

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 09:35:44 pm »

2-4 for social values? We are only doing one, unless we haven't been told about a second yet?