Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 09:20:49 am

Author Topic: Doing 3rd year Finance subjects without Stats?  (Read 1258 times)  Share 

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Doing 3rd year Finance subjects without Stats?
« on: April 10, 2013, 03:30:46 am »
Would you be cray by doing 3rd year Finance subjects (Derivative Securities, Corporate Finance or Investments) without any stats foundations? I'm trying to sort out my course plan for the final time, and I could potentially finish by 3rd year, June giving me six months off to go a summer school in the U.S. for 2 months and then travel to Europe!

All of these subjects have Business Finance and Finance 1 as pre-reqs, with one of these maths:
ECOM20001 Introductory Econometrics
ECON20003 Quantitative Methods 2
MAST20005 Statistics
MAST20004 Probability
MAST20006 Probability for Statistics
MAST20018 Discrete Maths and Operations Research
MAST20029 Engineering Mathematics

I'm taking Eng Maths this semester but it has zero stats in it. I'm thinking of overloading semester 2 2013 and taking one of the more "stats" like subjects as I feel it would be useful but I just wanted everyones opinion.

Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
Re: Doing 3rd year Finance subjects without Stats?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 06:54:47 pm »
The "maths" in those three finance subjects I wouldn't even classify anywhere close as "maths".  So long as you have some sort of quantitative grounding, which you do because you've done Calculus 2, Linear Algebra and going to do Engineering Maths, I think you will be fine.

And there isn't much stats in Derivative Securities.  Just normal distribution and a tiny weeny bit of lognormal distribution.  If you know how to use a standard normal table, you'll be fine.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research