Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 04:35:31 am

Author Topic: Morality  (Read 11443 times)  Share 

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
Re: Morality
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2013, 11:53:54 pm »
If Reality is a Construct, Constructions are Real,

Therefore

Morality is a Construct

And then you allude to the statement

1. Truth is analogous to Mathematics (Maths is a construct)

2. There is a connection between Truth and Morality

3. Truth isn't objective per se

4. Acting in accordance to Truth catalyzes Beauty

5. There is a correspondence between Truth and Morality

Therefore Morality is not objective per se

And Acting with Morality Catalyzes Beauty

So can Morality be destructive?

Corresponds was probably the wrong word.  Correlates is better - things that lead to "truth" usually get perceived as moral, but that doesn't mean it has to be the case (just that it happens kind of incidentally, although I have reasons for suspecting why this is often the case, as I've explained already).

Also, the key to the first part is more just that "construct" and (quotation marks) "reality" are one and the same, and so therefore morality is "real" in the bracketed sense, even though it is also a construct.  "Reality" and reality (or let's say, Truth) are actually two different things for me, although "reality" is kind of a manifestation of reality. 

I would also be happy to accept that Truth can be perceived as destructive sometimes as well.  In fact, a part of Truth is destruction, possibly.
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

Water

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +116
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013, 12:06:08 am »
Morality being a Construct and Reality or one leading to the other or both occurring at the same time is quite contextual and interesting PoV to think about; I won't go further with this.

What is Truth?

In Fate/Zero (In the mood for anime)

Surely, Kiritsugu's perception of Truth was in contrast to Kotomine's Truth

Or in Full Metal Alchemist

The Truth was not exactly what People thought it was when they reached the Gate?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 12:09:32 am by Water »
About Philosophy

When I see a youth thus engaged,—the study appears to me to be in character, and becoming a man of liberal education, and him who neglects philosophy I regard as an inferior man, who will never aspire to anything great or noble. But if I see him continuing the study in later life, and not leaving off, I should like to beat him - Callicle

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 02:20:05 am »
Whenever I see a discussion about morality I always remember this quote "A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death." Great words from a great man
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 11:29:12 am »
Mark 3:29
but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”—

Luke 12:10
“And anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven.

as alexx said, this isnt because some sins are forgivable, and others arent. its because actively choosing to reject god implies rejection of forgiveness and salvation as well.

EDIT: saying 'jesus christ', with as bad an intention as you like, wouldn't constitute blasphemy. the next verse in Mark explains why Jesus said this. it was because the pharisees had just rejected christ saying that he was demon possessed.

yeahhhh buddy you know whats going on
*goes to +1*
 *realises that there is no up or downvoting on this board*
 *is sad*

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 09:38:48 pm »
I believe that "morality" is a construct, but that constructions are real, insofar that "reality" itself is all just a construct, so I am a moral realist in a sense, but also at the same time not really.  Does that make sense?
Yeah I've been thinking over the last day that realism is sort of inescapable. I mean, even if I maintain virtue ethics and say that's the best way to moralise universally (but not necessarily objectively)... aren't I just saying that there is ONE objective fact, and that is that we ought to act in a way that is best for our internal well-being? Or if I subscribe to utilitarianism, aren't I saying there is ONE objective fact about morality, and that is, whatever brings about the most utility is what is moral?
Interestingly, I actually see "truth" as analogous to mathematics, and I think generally speaking acting in accordance to "truth" (which is in itself probably what I value as most important of all) corresponds to most of the things that we generally see as "moral", although that isn't necessarily because there is a sort of objective value attached to "truth", just that acting in accordance to "truth" tends to catalyse more beauty in the existences of the many, which is why in turn it often corresponds to what is "moral" (ie. what we would like upon society).
When you say act in accordance to truth, what do you mean? Are you saying integrity is a catalyst for beauty?
But can you see how even your justification is kind of circular?  I completely understand your feelings (and you're doing valiantly here - please don't feel I'm attacking you, more just interrogating you :p), but you haven't really given a reason for why the government theory analysis doesn't hold other than "I FEEL LIKE THERE IS MORE".  How can you be certain that you're not just confusing "moral" objectively with what is inscribed as "moral" because it fits the framework of government that best serves the interests of the people as a whole?
Hahaha yeah I see that. Heh, interrogate away; no one ever got anywhere without being challenged.
Alright. Here's what I've come up with. I've taken your meaning of interest to be similar to the way a preference utilitarian defines a preference, but I think you're also meaning 'serves the interests' as a general 'is good for the thriving of the community' or something similar to this. I've taken both definitions and melded them because I believe you might say that my second definition should be an extension of my first definition in re: government frameworks.
Note: any use of 'preference' is inclusive of my second definition, so when I say 'preference' I am also saying that things are in the best interest of whatever/whoever I'm talking about. If I use preference in a different way to this, I will make a note of it.
I will now argue that the government theory analysis is incomplete. The government theory analysis is focused externally on the preferences of society, however this may be measured. Perhaps advancement would be better quality of subsistence, less economic diversity (in the form of less poverty and more wealth) or what have you. However, this doesn't encompass the internal moral states of people. I am arguing from a virtue ethics perspective. As an extension of morality loosely being equivalent to internal well-being, people will be on a path to self-actualisation (as defined by the OED). So, realising internal 'moral' potentials is what would categorise a self-actualised person here -- as people fully realise the virtues they subscribe for their inner peace and well-being -- as opposed to someone fully realising their skill at basketball etc. So slavery will be immoral because it acts as an inhibitor for the moral self-actualisation (in terms of virtues, I realise self-actualisation is ambiguous so keep my definition in mind) of all parties involved. And so, in the scenario I earlier conceived where everyone has preferences for slavery (or stoning a woman?) - even if they have a preference for the destruction of X, or they have a strong hate of X or they subscribe to something we now find horrid, their immorality lies in the lack of universal love that is required for a morally self-actualised person. And so with the abolition of X horrible things, we move closer to moral self-actualisation (virtues etc), and thus we have real moral progress rather than a political progress that is only progression because it increases overall subsistence, opportunity, or whatever you want to define by the political progress.

*Also won't make a reply on this thread for a little while, Lit exam is tomorrow and I still plan to possibly re-read a book and otherwise prepare things I can bullshit
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 10:23:49 pm »
Yeah I've been thinking over the last day that realism is sort of inescapable. I mean, even if I maintain virtue ethics and say that's the best way to moralise universally (but not necessarily objectively)... aren't I just saying that there is ONE objective fact, and that is that we ought to act in a way that is best for our internal well-being? Or if I subscribe to utilitarianism, aren't I saying there is ONE objective fact about morality, and that is, whatever brings about the most utility is what is moral?

Not necessarily - you can have the utilitarian calculus without bringing in the "morality" rhetoric.  One could just say they are utilitarian and utility is good but possesses no "objective" value, only the ones that people ascribe to it.

When you say act in accordance to truth, what do you mean? Are you saying integrity is a catalyst for beauty?

Acting in accordance to truth equates to something along the lines of seeing reality as it is, and acting with that information in mind.  It doesn't really have to be integrity at all - it's not about speaking the truth, but seeing truth and behaving in response.

Note: any use of 'preference' is inclusive of my second definition, so when I say 'preference' I am also saying that things are in the best interest of whatever/whoever I'm talking about. If I use preference in a different way to this, I will make a note of it.
I will now argue that the government theory analysis is incomplete. The government theory analysis is focused externally on the preferences of society, however this may be measured. Perhaps advancement would be better quality of subsistence, less economic diversity (in the form of less poverty and more wealth) or what have you. However, this doesn't encompass the internal moral states of people. I am arguing from a virtue ethics perspective. As an extension of morality loosely being equivalent to internal well-being, people will be on a path to self-actualisation (as defined by the OED). So, realising internal 'moral' potentials is what would categorise a self-actualised person here -- as people fully realise the virtues they subscribe for their inner peace and well-being -- as opposed to someone fully realising their skill at basketball etc. So slavery will be immoral because it acts as an inhibitor for the moral self-actualisation (in terms of virtues, I realise self-actualisation is ambiguous so keep my definition in mind) of all parties involved. And so, in the scenario I earlier conceived where everyone has preferences for slavery (or stoning a woman?) - even if they have a preference for the destruction of X, or they have a strong hate of X or they subscribe to something we now find horrid, their immorality lies in the lack of universal love that is required for a morally self-actualised person. And so with the abolition of X horrible things, we move closer to moral self-actualisation (virtues etc), and thus we have real moral progress rather than a political progress that is only progression because it increases overall subsistence, opportunity, or whatever you want to define by the political progress.

*Also won't make a reply on this thread for a little while, Lit exam is tomorrow and I still plan to possibly re-read a book and otherwise prepare things I can bullshit

Can you see though that your entire objection basically comes down to "virtue ethics/morals are a thing, and the government model doesn't account for them, therefore the government model is incomplete"?  You haven't justified why I should buy into what some could deem a fairly abstract/airy-fairy account of the internal state of humankind.  How do you know that this is how self-actualisation works?  Is it impossible that some people have no conception of that in terms of their own "interests", and just want money/social capital?  Wouldn't this undermine the extent to which your virtuous self-actualisation is an "objective moral", and is more just a particular interest of some people that can be accounted for by government?
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2013, 07:36:44 pm »
Errrrruuharughrhghghgh yes I can see that problem so give me a few days to think my way out of this kthxbai xo
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Loneranger12

• Victorian
  • Fresh Member
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2013, 09:04:44 am »
Religion is morality

Lolly

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2013, 09:36:21 am »

Yeezus

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2013, 11:17:23 am »
Going to sound against the grain here.

In my experience, philosophy never seems to answer these kinds of questions convincingly for me and life experience seems to be superior when trying to understand these sorts of things.

I find philosophy to be too perfect and idealistic to reflect reality in any meaningful way. I've taken several units of philosophy at university and scored quite well, but none of them seem to be very 'deep' for me and I just prefer living life and experiencing new things as a way of understanding reality better.

I mean, I remember entering university, thinking to myself how much I hated religion, how much I wanted to champion a secular world and there was fire in my belly back then. A few years later and a lot of experience later, I could even say I admire religion as a whole although probably not enough just yet to become religious.

University is a great place to teach you new ways to think, I'd probably say it doesn't teach you too much about life though.

Personally, I'd recommend for everyone to live in a poor country for at least a year without the Australian Dollar in your pocket upon arrival, only receiving what you earn there. Life can smack you in the face pretty hard once you realise there's a real prospect you'll be busting your ass every day for the rest of your life just so you can feed yourself and get shelter and pay the bills to some bloke who sits on his arse not working a tenth as hard as you do all day. Such a bleak picture can really break yu down, and you begin to understand how people give up on it all and develop addictions or turn to alcohol or just live on the streets.

You'll learn more about answering questions such as, 'why do we exist?' and 'Do I think there is objective morality?' through life experience like this rather than sitting down and thinking.

I can't remember if I overheard this and it resonated within or if it's a novel thought of mine, but philosophy's relationship with life is pretty comparable to the relationship between masturbation and sex.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:30:52 am by Yeezus »