Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 12:16:01 am

Author Topic: .  (Read 4299 times)  Share 

BasicAcid

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +135
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:30:15 pm »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:32:33 pm by BasicAcid »

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
Re: A few queries
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:03:10 pm »
+1
- When you do your first year at uni, are the subjects you choose suited for specific types of engineering pathways? Or are they just general subjects?

Its easiest if you know you want to do Engineering (general) in first year because you need to take Engineering Systems Design 1 & 2 (1 is not a compulsory prerequisite though) as well as beginning your mathematics stream with Calculus 2 and Linear Algebra in first year.
You should ideally have a general idea though, for example if you don't take chemistry in first year and then want to be a Chemical Engineer you will push your course back by a year.  I would advise if you are REALLY unsure of your major to hold off on breadth and take as many subjects to meet as many Engineering prerequisites as possible (Physics 1 & 2, Calculus 2, Linear Algebra, Chemistry 1 & 2, Engineering Systems Design 2, etc).

- If not the first year, then when do you have to decide which engineering field you want to master in?

You need to have a decent idea beforeyou enter second year if you don't want to blow out your B SCI by 6/12 months.  Subject wise, the streams of engineering branch fairly dramatically once you hit Level 2 subjects.

- What's your opinion on the "decline" in engineers needed in Australia? Like do you think it's true and if it's you're forced to, would you go overseas to find work? That's the only thing I'm a bit worried about. I've seen a few articles like these: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-10/engineering-feature/4949360?section=wa
Way too much discussion for what I have time for here on ATAR notes.
Australia has a relatively small economy and population, we are also a bit of a 'sheep' culture and lack innovation generally, which means that many streams of engineering in the field of design & development are pretty slow with few jobs in Australia, but much bigger overseas.  Any of the pure engineerings (mechanical or electrical) or if you want to work in civil, structural, mining, petroleum, oil, gas - that boom is slowing down for sure but you won't be without work in Australia I think.  If you do something more obscure like biomedical or mechatronics, you might struggle, but your future is what you make it.  Just do more internships and network harder.

- Is it true that it's mainly more theory than practical at Melbourne than at other universities like RMIT? If so, would that be any sort of disadvantage when going out "into the real world"/applying for jobs (although I think having a master's degree should balance itself out haha)
At first year level I can't speak personally but my partner is finishing his Masters in Mechanical Eng and it definitely seems much more theory based than practical.  I don't think it makes a heap of difference when you get out there expecially if you compliment your theoretical degree with lots of work experience.

- Is it really true that having a master's degree puts you at an advantage when applying for jobs? (Is this why you're going for a Master's?)

If you pursue engineering, a Masters level degree is basically essential.  You don't get to be a qualified/certified engineer without it (unless you happen to be able to get a job with a Bachelor of Science major - unlikely - and work for about 10 years)
What's more important?
Having a master's degree and an "average resume" or a normal degree and a resume that has a bit more "spice" to it?

Don't be lazy and get the masters degree WITH a spiced up resume.
You basically won't get any decent engineering job without a Masters.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:28:57 pm »
If you choose specific engineering branch you'll be seeing something precise but not in great detail. I'm studying aero/sci and the first engineering unit I took was pretty distinct from some of other eng units. That said, first year units are pretty much general..you'll be doing some static and dynamical analysis along with maths. In second year, things get much more detailed.
For the practical component, I think it depends on the unit...last semester we did a lab and paper plane...but we haven't done such thing in second semester. I heard from my friends in straight eng that they actually build a paper bridge, a catapult etc...these things get more intense later. I'm sure there are experienced students here who can inform you much better. Good luck
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 06:30:12 pm »
+2
You're welcome.
I should point out that my reply was from a UoM pathway perspective.
Quite different if you do RMIT or something - their 4 yr undergrad degree certifies you as an Engineer too. A different pathway to the B Sci/M Eng pathway.
Worth a thought :)

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 06:36:14 pm »
Also there are so many jobs overseas..if you're studying civil engineering, former soviet territories offer great demand. I know couple of people who went to Azerbaijan. Also some of the rich countries in Middle East offer great demand...Qatar, UAE etc. you'll be making a lot of money if you go to one of the developing countries.

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 06:39:21 pm »
Also don't forget the fact that there is no bad or good school...engineering is all about what you make out of it...uom, rmit or monash..doesn't really matter

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 06:59:28 pm »
+1
I know that you were asking about UoM, but I'll just add in a Monash perspective here.
I've got a few questions though;
- If not the first year, then when do you have to decide which engineering field you want to master in?
When you do your first year at uni, are the subjects you choose suited for specific types of engineering pathways? Or are they just general subjects?
At Monash, unless you pick Aerospace, Mechatronics, Environmental or Computer Systems, then there's a common first year where you get to try a bit of everything before deciding on what type (out of the common first year) engineering you want to go onto. From second year and onward you do subjects completely relevant to the engineering stream you pick (not counting double degrees).

- Is it true that it's mainly more theory than practical at Melbourne than at other universities like RMIT? If so, would that be any sort of disadvantage when going out "into the real world"/applying for jobs (although I think having a master's degree should balance itself out haha)
From what we've heard going around from friends going to Eng conferences/expos and such and talking to reps is that it really depends on the company, some prefer RMIT engineers, some prefer Monash and some prefer RMIT. It just depends really, there's positives and negatives to either way. From mates that I know that are doing eng at RMIT, they're doing a lot more things hands on than we are, but are more 'thrown in the deep end' a little more, in the sense that they have to try and work more out for themselves with less guidance (which I guess is a positive if you're able to develop these skills but a negative if you're left behind and can't). The seem to be doing a bit more 'learn by doing I guess'. Just the talk going around with friends again, and friends that they have at UoM, Monash seems to be in the middle in this regard, with UoM having a greater theory component (which isn't always a bad thing). I don't really want to say too much because a lot of this is just hearsay, and not attacking UoM. Really at the end of the day it's going to depend on more factors than just this.

- Is it really true that having a master's degree puts you at an advantage when applying for jobs? (Is this why you're going for a Master's?)
There was a lot of talk about whether this was a better way to go or not (and whether it was just hype or not), when the Melbourne Model was introduced, and well no one knew until the first bunch of grads got out. Again though, it comes down to employer preference. Yes it looks good on paper, but once you get to the interview stage what matters is how you can do in the interview, how well you can sell yourself. With RMIT and Monash, as said above you're still certified in the end.

I might add that it can also help by doing other engineering projects as extra. For example joining the uni FSAE team (Monash's team is currently ranked 2nd worldwide, they were first a couple of weeks ago). Again, from what we've heard, with Monash's team at least, the experience you gain in the team apparently nearly gives a 'guarantee' of a job at the end of the degree (it's a real heap of hours you need to dedicate to it though), again though, take everything with a grain of salt. The universities want to try and sell you their course, so depends on who you talk to, you'll get a different answer of who is better. Just work your ass off throughout your degree.

I'm trying not to start another UoM Vs Monash Vs RMIT right here, really the better course for you depends on what's best for you, how you learn best. At the end of the day, you've still got to go through any of the degrees, and work your ass off to do well, get experience with VAC work (which will play a big part in the end) and Final Year Projects and such, then get interviews and get through at the end.

In the end I choose Monash because I thought it would be better suited to me, even though I had high enough to get into UoM and RMIT, and they were 30-40 minutes closer (originally it would take me 45 mins or so to get to UoM or RMIT and 90-120 minutes to get to Monash one way, and yeah, I still choose Monash. Moved out of home now so that doesn't really matter anymore but I didn't think I would be able to move in the first place, so the time still factored into my decision). So yeah, just work out whats best for you, you seem set on UoM, but the above is just to give another view on it all.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:06:46 pm by b^3 »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »
+1
Working on 6 assignments, reply soon bud.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:48 pm »
@BigAl
Well that paper plane prac you just mentioned reminds me so much of year 11/12 physics practicals... I definitely don't want to do a lot of pracs if they're like that lol.
And the idea of moving to a Middle Eastern country is really, really unappealing...  I don't really like the thought of working outside of Australia but hopefully it won't come to that.
In the end, I guess it'll all boil down to a bit of luck and hopefully, it'll go my way and I'll stay right here in Melbourne haha.
It wasn't your typical paper plane prac. There were a lot more restrictions than usual, and you had to do a few proper (well first year proper) calculations on it all afterwards. You were only allowed a 'glide throw', that is no piffing it hard, just a gentle push, from a 6m high balcony in the sports hall. The aim was to make it go 50 m, (yeah, 50 m with a glide throw, near impossible unless you actually know what you're doing). The best our year was 42 m or so. (It's seriously a lot harder than it looks).

It's basically there in first semester first year to lead people into things, you haven't really learnt enough yet at that stage to be doing anything special, and it's something that's actually applicable to the unit and the real maths in that unit, along with some early design ideas.

Later on you get proper pracs and projects, for example in Engineering Design in second year you have to compete in the Warman comp, which is basically making a little robotic thing that can navigate the obstacle course they set each year. Whoever does the best each year gets to go and represent Monash at the National event, (which they supposedly send scouts down from companies and the defence force and such). I'm pretty sure UoM send a team each year, not entirely sure if it's a compulsory thing for a unit at UoM though.

@b^3
Ah thank you for that view and may I ask why you ended up choosing Monash instead of Melbourne? (All of that extra effort...)
Was it because Melbourne didn't offer that specific Aerospace Engineering?
And those "VAC"s and final year projects you're talking about, do they involve working with people from other universities?
I didn't quite like the Melbourne model, and looking at units and such it seemed that Monash had more aero oriented units. Better to get a feel of it early, in case I didn't like that direction. VAC work is the 'vacation work' you go and do, which at Monash is normally before your final year. That is over your summer break you go and do 'vac work' in a company, and then have to submit some huge report for uni at the end of it. Again, we've heard that if you can 'impress' during this time, then that's how you get your foot in the door. Then when you do your final year project, you may be able to do it within that company, and use work from them as your final project, which again if you do well enough you can nearly have a job right at the end of it.

Keep in mind with that last bit that I'm only second year, so hopefully it's all right, but could be slightly off (since I haven't quite got there yet). It's mostly from reading through unit guides and talking to older year students or postgrads and lecturers about it all.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:14:19 am by b^3 »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 08:05:16 am »
@Nicola_a
Ah, I was assuming that you meant Masters was essential in engineering in general, but you actually meant if I do BSc at UoM I should go on and get it.
But when I asked whether the Master's Degree would put you at an advantage when applying for a job, I meant an advantage against people from RMIT, Monash, etc. who have done 4 years and gotten a degree in engineering while you've gotten a Master's.

But from these other responses and what I've heard, I guess it really comes down to the employer's preferences.

You get the same certification at the end of the Uom Masters as you do at the end of RMIT/Monash 4yr undergrads. Actually you get certified in the Americas and EU as well, which you don't get at RMIT/Monash I think.
It might come down to which Uni your employer prefers but it's more likely to come down to your grades and work experience. 

@Hancock
Far out, I really do hope it'll be a long time before I'm exposed to that workload... Keep at it!

The workload isn't tame in first year, but it's nothing compared to the Eng Masters/3rd year Eng Major.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 12:27:33 pm »
You get the same certification at the end of the Uom Masters as you do at the end of RMIT/Monash 4yr undergrads. Actually you get certified in the Americas and EU as well, which you don't get at RMIT/Monash I think.
It might come down to which Uni your employer prefers but it's more likely to come down to your grades and work experience. 

The workload isn't tame in first year, but it's nothing compared to the Eng Masters/3rd year Eng Major.
Yeah, in the end it'll come down a lot to what experience you've gained throughout these years. I was more getting at that if you had two different graduates with the same grades and same level of experience, certain employers would lean one way and others would lean the other way, it's not always biased to the one University, (I think I may have missed saying this above, my bad).

Monash, UoM and RMIT all get you a degree that lets you work in countries that are Signatories to the Washington Accord.
http://www.washingtonaccord.org/Washington-Accord/signatories.cfm

Monash - pg 3, Professional recognition- http://www.eng.monash.edu.au/prospective/download/eng-ug.pdf
RMIT - http://www.rmit.edu.au/engineering/why-rmit
UoM - (below)

While UoM also gets you accreditation to work in EUR-ACEŽ areas.
http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/accreditation.html
http://themelbourneengineer.eng.unimelb.edu.au/2011/07/eur-ace/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Higher_Education_Area

The Washington accord still covers the U.K. (an well the US), but not the rest of Europe where the EUR-ACEŽ will, which I guess is where the difference between UoM and RMIT/Monash arises, most likely due to UoM having the Masters pathway compared to the Undergrad Bachelor Model that Monash and RMIT have.

EDIT: There are a few other areas/groups that you get accreditation in depending on the type of engineering you complete, but the two above are the main ones.

EDIT2: Disclaimer: Keep in mind that none of us have actually finished the degree (either sci undergrad + postgrad eng or undergrad eng), gone out there and gotten interviews and such, it's just based on what we've heard and who we've spoken too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:59:02 pm by b^3 »