Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:31:54 pm

Author Topic: course related to physiotherapy  (Read 2915 times)  Share 

chiapants226

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
course related to physiotherapy
« on: January 02, 2008, 03:47:15 pm »
hey guys, im new to this forum.
i was just wondering if anybody knew the courses most closely related to physiotherapy? i finished yr 11 this year, got a 41 for business management, and im not sure if im going to be able to achieve the 96+ needed to get into physio. so im just wondering what courses are similar to physiotherapy, and which courses allow transfers into physiotherapy from them and at what universities.

thanks

wwjd

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
Re: course related to physiotherapy
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 07:06:56 pm »
hey guys, im new to this forum.
i was just wondering if anybody knew the courses most closely related to physiotherapy? i finished yr 11 this year, got a 41 for business management, and im not sure if im going to be able to achieve the 96+ needed to get into physio. so im just wondering what courses are similar to physiotherapy, and which courses allow transfers into physiotherapy from them and at what universities.

thanks

hey,

Depending on the university which you are interested in studying physiotherapy at, there are a range of options. There are three universities in Melbourne that offer Physiotherapy - the University of Melbourne, LaTrobe University (Bundoora & Bendigo Campuses) and Monash Univeristy (Peninsula Campus). I'm only familiar with LaTrobe Univeristy and Melbourne so i'll let you know about them.

At Melbourne University they are offering the BPhysio in 2009 and then after 2009, it will be a graduate entry degree (i.e. you'll have had to have completed a degree prior to studying physiotherapy). You probably know about the new Melbourne Model. It is best to do either a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Biomedicine. If completing a Bachelor of Science, you have to select the correct major, or elective subjects 2X anatomy and 1X physiology. If completing the Bachelor of Biomedicine, you need not worry about selecting the right subjects as they are part of the core studies anyway. (btw, according to the teachers at Melbourne Uni, neither degree is preferred over the other AS LONG AS you select the right subjects in the Bachelor of Science degree.) I'm not entirely sure, but you may also have to complete some test is entering into the graduate entry Physiotherapy course - but don't quote me on that one, i'm not sure!

Saying that, do complete the UMAT regardless of whether you think you aren't going to get the required 96+ to study physio at Melbourne. A friend of mine didn't complete the UMAT because she believed she wasn't going to get anything above 85. She ended up getting 96.7.

I'm not as familiar with the Latrobe Uni course and future health science structure. However, I believe that they may be introducing a general Health Sciences degree with a broad array of subjects in the first year and then you have the opportunity to major in Physiotherapy in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years, but again, I'm not entirely sure. Also, you don't have the complete the UMAT for Latrobe University.

Good Luck with your studies in 2008, and if you want way more information (and a hell of a lot more accurate too) attend their Open Days, check their websites and maybe give them a call to!

hope that helped!!

chiapants226

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 02:18:36 pm »
thanks for the info wwjd. i know a lot about the melbourne model, and i know about the bachelor of science and biomedicine, and i know that i dont have the prerequisites for biomedicine. however, that being said, do you know what the required ENTER score is for the bachelor of science?

also, are there any other undergraduate courses that you are able to transfer from into physio after a year or so?

thanks.

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:21:59 pm »
The Bachelor of Science has a guaranteed ENTER at 85. Which is for a full fee place.

doboman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 03:06:19 pm »
hey guys- ive read about the melbourne model- however dont fully understand it..can anyone explain it to me?
"Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths"

wwjd

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:43:03 pm »
hey guys- ive read about the melbourne model- however dont fully understand it..can anyone explain it to me?

hey rooboy!
The Melbourne Model is a new University structure which the University of Melbourne is introducing in 2008. It consists of six general degrees -
Bachelor of Science
Bachelor of Biomedicine
Bachelor of Commerce
Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Environments
Bachelor of Music.
By 2011 these will be the only undergraduate degrees available for study at the University of Melbourne. Therefore, for example, if you want to study say, Medicine at the University of Melbourne, you'll have had to completed either a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Biomedicine and then after its completion, enter into their new graduate Medicine program, i.e. you'll have had to have completed an undergraduate degree prior to completing Medicine and therefore, in other words, the Bachelor of Medicine will not be available as an undergraduate degree at Melbourne University.
Also, each new undergraduate degree has its general core subjects, elective subjects relating to the degree, and "breadth subjects" which are subjects you can choose from other faculties. For example, you may be completing a Bachelor of Science, but also have the oppurtunity to pursue you interest in languages and thus, study a language as a "breadth subject".

Hopefully that helps :) And you can always try visiting http://www.futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/courses/melbmodel/ for more info!

btw, I like you sig!