Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:28:16 am

Author Topic: GAMSAT - How bad can it be??  (Read 11863 times)  Share 

nerdmmb

GAMSAT - How bad can it be??
« on: March 15, 2014, 09:35:39 pm »
I'm really passionate about a career in the health sciences and had a few questions about the GAMSAT.
Judging from my current practice umat percentiles, I probably wont even make it past a 60th percentile so I might need to consider taking a science course at uni (hopefully) :)

I am not taking any VCE humanities subjects nor am I doing VCE physics so will this affect me at uni when I'm preparing for the gamsat? I know I'm thinking way too ahead but im excited and mostly daunted.

How do students study for the gamsat?
At uni, what are the requirements for graduate medicine other than the gamsat and MMI?

Thanks!

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Re: GAMSAT - How bad can it be??
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:47:10 pm »
+7
You're in Year 11, a long way to go for any UMAT prep and a very long way for your ATAR. If I were you, the GAMSAT shouldn't even be in your mind, heck, it isn't in the mind of many first year Biomed kids either.

Despite you saying "I know I'm thinking way too ahead but im excited and mostly daunted", I maintain that this is a little too keen to even be a small worry. Instead: try different approaches to your UMAT prep if it isn't working for you so far, take a break from your prep and begin again with a positive attitude (sounds like you've given up already tbh), focus on your VCE instead of having any worry about GPA, GAMSAT and other uni matters.

If your goal is undergraduate medicine, don't worry about the other pathways just yet. Leave that until after you get your UMAT score.

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 10:06:58 pm »
I'm really passionate about a career in the health sciences and had a few questions about the GAMSAT.
Judging from my current practice umat percentiles, I probably wont even make it past a 60th percentile so I might need to consider taking a science course at uni (hopefully) :)

I am not taking any VCE humanities subjects nor am I doing VCE physics so will this affect me at uni when I'm preparing for the gamsat? I know I'm thinking way too ahead but im excited and mostly daunted.

How do students study for the gamsat?
At uni, what are the requirements for graduate medicine other than the gamsat and MMI?

Thanks!

^+1 to pi.

I totally agree, you should study hard and knuckle down, kill the VCE to try get into UG med. GAMSAT from what I've heard is more knowledge based, I'll be sitting it soon so I can let you know.

But yeh.... chill man hahahaha you got so many more years to go, dont lose your focus on what matters now...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:11:30 pm by ChickenCh0wM1en »
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:39:31 pm »
Agreed with pi! I'm gonna quote that should this question come up again

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 10:17:01 am »
GAMSAT is nothing like UMAT.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 11:06:58 am »
+15
I think it's a bit too early for you to think about it, but I'll be sitting it this coming Saturday and people have been asking me about my prep, I'll try give you an insight into how students study for it.

Students typically begin by revising their 1st year science knowledge (which shoudn't take more than two weeks) before they start tackling questions. It's also a good idea to begin reading a few books of literature and soaking in some new vocabulary when you start. Admittedly, I did this more at the beginning-middle of my prep but I've placed more time on doing more practise questions for the humanities section lately (haven't read a book since February, I just occasionally flick through The Economist and New Yorker now).

In my opinion, Humanities can be improved simply by hammering lots of practise questions and analysing why your choice was wrong. I think this helped me more so than just reading endless amounts of literature. Its sort of like advanced reading comprehension in a way. Lots of people get questions from Des and the ACER tests - if you do them over the summer holidays then that'd be great. Examkrackers MCAT has a different style from GAMSAT in my opinion, but it's a good book to start off with. I did maybe eleven out of the fourteen tests. I started off at around 45/75 when I first tried a sample S1 test in December, but it's slowly improved to ~ 57/75 in the most recent ACER tests. There is also data-interpretation here, so get used to reading tables and graphs.

The essay section is probably the most loathsome to prepare for. I feel like shit immediately after every practise essay I write. There's so many prompts that the examiners can hit you with, so you're writing with a new idea almost each time. Write as many timed essays as you can, giving yourself 25-30 mins. Practise on both planning and writing. After you've written your essay, get others to critique it and trash it. Try to critique it yourself as well, making annotations and notes of what you think works/doesn't work, and if you want to, edit it as well.

I remember starting off writing 2 essays a week in early January, then up to 3 by mid-late January, then 4 by early-mid February, and now around 5-8. It's not much time though, really. Investing two hours a week already earns you four essays. I guess reading and critiquing other people's essays also gives you a more critical eye.

For the argumentative essay, it's good to have a good background knowledge of current affairs to draw your examples from. Tbh I watch ABC News 24 and randomly surf through Wikipedia all the time, so that really helped. But I think some students make a mistake when they focus on just solely arguing with examples throughout the entire course of the essay. A GAMSAT assessor told me that what they look for is logic. They want to see that you can build a coherent, logical argument, using one piece of logic to step onto another. After that, you can illustrate it with a fleshed out example. Try aim for cohesiveness and flow throughout your essay as well - make sure everything links together. Some students will tell you to write with a "for-against" sort of structure, but there's no set structure for you to adopt.

The discursive essay places more emphasis on personal reflection. This is the essay where you should draw your upon your own feelings and just write honestly, "from the soul". The above assessor told me that examiners love feeling a connection to the writer - its tough to do, but if you pull it off, you can really lift up your marks.

These essays are inherently different from the ones you write in high-school and in university. You don't have enough time to back up your thesis with a whole bunch of supporting evidence, you need to focus on ideas and thought. Picking a writing subject at university may help with expression but I don't think it confers a significant advantage.

Finally, the science section is probably the easiest to prepare for assuming you have science background. A knowledge of 1st year Biology, Chemistry and Year 12 physics is necessary for you to understand the questions.

In all honesty, revising Biology is a waste of time. Yes, this section is knowledge-based than the other sections, but ACER will hit you with content that you've never studied before. i.e the physiology of a bird's respiratory system. Or wolf packs and crap. You just need to know the basics of Biology imo (Year 12 stuff in my opinion - osmosis, biomacrmolecules, organelles - just be aware of them). Most Biology questions will involve the use of graphs and other visual information.

Having a good knowledge of Chemistry is very advantageous. Invest most of your prep on 1st year organic/inorganic questions. The ACER tests will sometimes give you 1st year questions that you've studied before (stereoisomers and the sort are free marks), but most of the time they will give you an example of a mechanism/reaction and ask you questions based on it. Do not rote learn your 1st year chemistry - understand the concepts. Most questions will be unfamiliar to you, so having a good understanding is critical.

Physics isn't tooooooo bad, you can probably get by with Year 12 knowledge but perhaps 1st year Physics will help you to an extent. What is considered to be "Year 12 physics" differs between states, so don't assume it just means VCE physics. This section involves the most maths (without a calculator - so get used to estimating and dividing decimal places. I find that practising scientific notation helps here - dividing 0.48 by 0.000000096 is much easier as 4.8E-1 / 9.6E-8, so it's really a matter of index laws).

As said, many of the science questions will be unfamiliar to you. This is why you shouldn't spend too much time revising up in this section. There is more emphasis on "Reasoning" than "Knowledge". ACER will give you enough information to answer the question. Many students may find themselves getting 50-70/110 on this section, but if you want to get in the top range then you must aim for 75-80+/110.

Ok, now many students ask about prep courses but I don't think you need to attend one. The only material I bought was Examkrackers, Des' O Neill MCQ questions and the four ACER tests - I didn't attend any course. I also paid above assessor for his critique on my essays. Many people will sign up with companies such as Prepgenies, Des' O Neill and GradReady - they have lots of practise questions and will mark your essays.

And yes, GAMSAT is nothing like UMAT. It tests very different things. I've seen people who got 60th percentile in the UMAT get above 90th percentile on the GAMSAT.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:19:47 pm by Shenz0r »
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

nerdmmb

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 12:36:52 pm »
Thank-you so much to everyone who took their time to reply. I agree with the above^
I will definitely try :) but everyone needs a back-up plan ;)

Shenz0r, I wish I could up vote your comment more than once! Really appreciate your informative response;I'm sure that many students will benefit from it! And best of luck for your upcoming exams! Seems like you're very prepared! :D

MelonBar

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:02:28 pm »
A side question

I'm going to have a go at the September one this year. Can anyone recommend me where to get Des books? I know I can order them direct from the website but I'd like to save on cost if I can get my hands on a secondhand copy.

Is there a market on some noticeboard at Uni, or if someone has a mate with old copies I'd be happy to have a chat and buy it off them.
2012: VCE
2013-2015: BSc (Neuroscience) @ UoM

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 09:40:07 pm »
I bought mine from eBay - found out that the person who sold it to me used to go on AN as well lol.

Gumtree also has some second-hand book sales.
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 11:00:37 pm »
This thread is making me seriously freak out about saturday!!!

I am confident that you will gun this thing!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 11:04:33 pm by El2012 »
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 11:25:00 pm »
+2
Good luck you guys :)
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 07:48:50 pm »
+1
This thread is making me seriously freak out about saturday!!!

I am confident that you will gun this thing!

Dw El2012, I feel exactly the same way. I'm freaking out esp since I'm so behind in uni already and my prep didn't go smoothly. I've failed heaps of ACER practice questions + failed heaps of Des exams LOOL >_>
Personally I think everyone is a bit freaked out. Just know that you did what you could, and since it's your first time, you can always try again. :)
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 01:35:16 am »
+2
My experience of the GAMSAT is that it is more about exam technique and fluid intelligence than scientific fact regurgitation.

Knowledge will speed you up, but everything* you need to answer the question is in the stem.

*generally

Hope it went well for all those who sat that god awful thing!
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 02:59:42 pm »
Hey. Would a BSc be sufficient enough for someone who only did VCE Physics? Do I need to do a specific major?

Thanks!
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 03:07:22 pm »
You don't need a specific major, 1st year of science is enough.