Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:49:36 am

Author Topic: Advice for ILR and Contract A exams (Monash)?  (Read 3204 times)  Share 

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Advice for ILR and Contract A exams (Monash)?
« on: May 19, 2014, 11:17:13 pm »
Hi guys,
So as per the heading, do you guys have any advice as to how to go about studying for these subjects (LAW1101 and LAW2101)? I'm sure I'm not the only one, but as these are my first law subjects (and contracts exam is 100%!! :S), I don't want to do badly.

How did you guys study and what did you spend these few weeks before the exam doing for each of these units?? What do you think will be effective in preparation for the exams and hwo should we go about studying/preparing?

More specifically for contracts, how did you eventually end up memorising all the cases??!

And any other specific tips?

Thanks and Good luck to everyone for exams :)
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
Re: Advice for ILR and Contract A exams (Monash)?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:08:27 pm »
+2
Best advice is to handwrite answers to previous year's exam papers under exam conditions and then discuss your answers with a study group, or try and get feedback from your tutor or lecturer.

edit: just to stress, it is absolutely essential if you do do a past exam to handwrite it and under the same time constraints as an exam scenario. This is the only way you will appreciate how to-the-point you will need to be in the exam.

You don't need to remember every minutiae of every case on the reading guide. There are generally 2-4 key cases per topic that you should know well (and by that I mean the facts and the judgments). If you do past exam questions you will see you will cite the same authorities over and over again, especially for Contract A which is quite formulaic.

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 08:11:04 am »
Trying to do some more contracts exams now, but how do I go about doing them if there's no solutions? I at least want practice with issue spotting and that sort of thing, but how do I know if I'm doing the right thing?
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

Rohmer

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 06:28:17 pm »
+1
Trying to do some more contracts exams now, but how do I go about doing them if there's no solutions? I at least want practice with issue spotting and that sort of thing, but how do I know if I'm doing the right thing?

In law...you basically never get a comprehensive set of answers for anything. I'm not sure if contract has any examples of HD answers up on Moodle, or comments from the head examiner on past exams, but that's usually as good as you'll get for any law subject.

So, when you don't have those (and for some exams you may not) your options are basically:

(a) form a study group/meet with other students to discuss past exam papers & go through the questions;
(b) arrange a consultation time with a tutor/lecturer to go over any past exams/revision questions you've done;
(c) email lecturers with questions about exam Q's/content - though make sure you've attempted it first, they probably won't be impressed if you send an email along the lines of 'hey dude, what is an invitation to treat? thx'
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:32:29 pm by Rohmer »

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 12:25:44 pm »
(b) arrange a consultation time with a tutor/lecturer to go over any past exams/revision questions you've done;

This one is super important. Take your completed answer and get a consultation with your lecturer to see if you missed anything/could get it improved.