Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 08:18:12 pm

Author Topic: EngLang 3/4 Question Thread.  (Read 14150 times)  Share 

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
Re: EngLang 3/4 Question Thread.
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 10:06:55 pm »
Oops, I just realised this is h 3/4 English language thread. Anyways,
Analysis, so the one where you talk about syntax, semantics, morphology when you are given a discourse. I'm currently doing analysis on a piece from Middle English (and it has a translation into modern English) at school (in year 11)
Just talk about the different subsystems in different paragraphs. It's quite literally that easy. Once you've finished your analysis that you're completing at the moment, feel free to send it if you want feedback :)

I wrote this a while back referring to analytical commentaries (similar to analysis)

Well I always structure it as follows:

First paragraph:
  • Introduce the discorse, writer/speaker, context etc.
  • State the mode
  • Comment on the primary and secondary functions of the text
  • Mention the semantic field, register, and formality

Second-fourth paragraph:
  • Discuss the different subsystems utilised throughout the text, structured in their own paragraphs.

Last paragraph:
  • This should be your basic discourse analysis
  • Coherence, including inference, ordering, formatting, consistency and conventions
  • Cohesion, including information flow, deictics, collocation,etc
  • Referencing which include anaphoric and cataphoric
  • If written, try to fit in a sentence on the paragraphing or structure of the text

ALWAYS remember to relate back to the function the writer/speaker is seeking to achieve.

Hope this helps!  :)
Good luck  :)
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

Bluegirl

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 04:52:23 pm »
One of my SACs is to conduct an idiolect interview and then write up a report in class.

Does anyone have any questions I could ask my subject related to accent, dialect, sociolect etc.? Thankyou

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 05:13:21 pm »
One of my SACs is to conduct an idiolect interview and then write up a report in class.

Does anyone have any questions I could ask my subject related to accent, dialect, sociolect etc.? Thankyou
I did that SAC 2 weeks ago haha. I literally asked about the subjects ethnicity and the reason for migrating to Australia.
In doing so, it also helps you with attitudes and profile of the user paragraph :)

Bluegirl

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 05:18:10 pm »
I did that SAC 2 weeks ago haha. I literally asked about the subjects ethnicity and the reason for migrating to Australia.
In doing so, it also helps you with attitudes and profile of the user paragraph :)

My subject hasn't migrated so I can't ask some of those haha.

How did you structure your response? We have a few weeks to conduct research (with other SACs beforehand) but my teacher hasn't given us any info on the actual write-up.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 05:29:38 pm »
+1
My subject hasn't migrated so I can't ask some of those haha.
Haha wouldn't that make it harder to identify distinct features of the idiolect/ethnolect?

How did you structure your response? We have a few weeks to conduct research (with other SACs beforehand) but my teacher hasn't given us any info on the actual write-up.

Intro: Typical intro on SAE and different varieties with mentions to your subjects idiolect/ethnolect

P1: The subject and everything about him/her. Context, age, race etc. Later blab about the identity contracted in contemporary Aust and how this is maintained.

P2: Analytical on the interview
      - Separate paragraphs on the different subsystems and how the idiolect/ethnolect differs or even is similar to SAE.
      - These paragraphs don't need to be long, sometimes can't be. (features of a particular subsystem may be minimal in your transcript hence short paragraph)

Px: The attitudes toward this idiolect/ethnolect in Australia, the future of the idiolect/ethnolect.

Conclusion: You know this :P

Note: this structure may differ towards your expected response, this is just how I did mine/got told to do it. :)

Bluegirl

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 05:39:46 pm »
Haha wouldn't that make it harder to identify distinct features of the idiolect/ethnolect?

Note: this structure may differ towards your expected response, this is just how I did mine/got told to do it. :)

Very helpful, thanks!

Ours is more of an idiolect one, rather than ethnolect, but we can talk about any features they use; not neccessarlily deviating from Standard English.

But thanks heaps! How'd you go on it?

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 05:44:34 pm »
Very helpful, thanks!

Ours is more of an idiolect one, rather than ethnolect, but we can talk about any features they use; not neccessarlily deviating from Standard English.

But thanks heaps! How'd you go on it?
I didn't get to finish it as I wanted unfortunately (rushed the last paragraph due to 5 minute warning haha) still unmarked so God knows how I did! :P

Bluegirl

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 05:25:15 pm »
Can anyone give me ideas on what we could collect this unit's journals/folios on?
Last semester I collected formal and informal, but not sure for this semester? Do we get it on Australian English, ethnolects and stuff?

Stressedyear11here

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 07:38:14 pm »
Just talk about the different subsystems in different paragraphs. It's quite literally that easy. Once you've finished your analysis that you're completing at the moment, feel free to send it if you want feedback :)

I wrote this a while back referring to analytical commentaries (similar to analysis)

I can definitley tell that is at a year 12 standard. I handed my analysis to my teacher the other day and she said it was better than my first (these are all practice ones), which is good to hear,
But  now my main concern is picking out the context in a modern English text (which isn't as modern as today's, if you understand). I'm practicing now with Geoffery Chaucer's tales. There's the original Middle English version and then the Modern English version. I'm not quite sure how to tackle the context part .. :(

Thanks.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 08:18:36 pm »
Can anyone give me ideas on what we could collect this unit's journals/folios on?
Last semester I collected formal and informal, but not sure for this semester? Do we get it on Australian English, ethnolects and stuff?
Collect texts where different varieties of English are apparent or where the different accents are noticeable (SAE)

Stressedyear11here

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 08:09:51 pm »
Does anyone know the average study score for English Language? And is it really hard to get a 40 study score?

Cheers

Bluegirl

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2014, 12:32:37 pm »
Okay so I've started writing practice extended responses for the exam and I'm kind of confused as to what to include.
I understand you have to include what it tells you to, whether it be non flunecy features, turn taking, topic management, lexis etc. but I don't really understand what specifically.
I'm fine with identifying features and explaining their functions, but reading past responses don't sound like mine.
Specifically, in terms of explaining 'why' i guess.

Like, in the one I'm doing now, the sample response identifies the features I am, but it then goes on to explain more.
For example 'Faine on the other hand manages the topic, interjecting occasionally to provoke or ask a question, and whilst he is not following a script, he does have the advantage of having thought about the questions prior to the conversation.'

^That's the kind of stuff I'm not including. I know practice will help though.

Also, for section C, the essay, I don't feel that confident in terms of having info and evidence to support my point. Where do you guys get your quotes from? I know I should be looking at the news and stuff everyday to identify stuff but i'm kind of lost.

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 12:52:46 pm »
+1
Like, in the one I'm doing now, the sample response identifies the features I am, but it then goes on to explain more.
For example 'Faine on the other hand manages the topic, interjecting occasionally to provoke or ask a question, and whilst he is not following a script, he does have the advantage of having thought about the questions prior to the conversation.'

Just remember the function is always dependent on the context. Get your head around the situation behind the transcript and what the writer/speaker/s are trying to achieve. Ask yourself 'why?' Why is he/she managing the topic? Why is he/she using non fluency features? Why did he/she say "...."? Always connect to the function.

Just practice :)

Also, for section C, the essay, I don't feel that confident in terms of having info and evidence to support my point. Where do you guys get your quotes from? I know I should be looking at the news and stuff everyday to identify stuff but i'm kind of lost.
Message me & I'll send you a document full of quotes that relate to VCE English Language, however you still need to find contemporary quotes and examples that 'stand out'. I know it's cliche, but examiners like quotes and examples are are unique and new.

No one said English Language was easy! Just keep practicing :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:55:04 pm by Reus »

Bluegirl

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 01:29:39 pm »
You're a legend, thankyou!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 06:43:03 pm »
Does anyone know the average study score for English Language? And is it really hard to get a 40 study score?

Cheers

Depending on the person and their strengths, any subject can go either way. It also depends on the cohort you do it with. With some practice comes perfection, so just keep at it. A 40 is reasonable if you work really hard at English Language and have some skills. According to last year's statistics, it was a little more difficult than usual, if that's helpful. (Google search "VCE English Language Statistics" and it should come up.)

Message me & I'll send you a document full of quotes that relate to VCE English Language, however you still need to find contemporary quotes and examples that 'stand out'. I know it's cliche, but examiners like quotes and examples are are unique and new.

May I be a little annoying and borrow it off you too?  ::)
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread