Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 10:07:45 pm

Author Topic: [Monash] 2014 Semester One Results Thread  (Read 26337 times)  Share 

kinslayer

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
Re: [Monash] 2014 Semester One Results Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2014, 04:36:58 am »
2012   PHY2011   2   NEUROSCIENCE OF SENSATION, BRAIN AND MOVEMENT   1   0   32   N
2014   PHY2011   2   NEUROSCIENCE OF SENSORY AND CONTROL SYSTEMS IN THE BODY   1   6   89   HD

That's awesome, well done. Wish I could +1 this.

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2014, 02:04:22 pm »
I have a question..so failing a unit and then getting a good mark when repeated is better than passing with a 50?
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2014, 02:22:55 pm »
Only if your better mark is high enough to average to higher than 50, I guess. Also consider that you get no credit points for failing and retaking a unit isn't free.

ChickenCh0wM1en

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2014, 02:27:56 pm »
Only if your better mark is high enough to average to higher than 50, I guess. Also consider that you get no credit points for failing and retaking a unit isn't free.

Does that apply to your GPA, like would they take the higher mark (assuming you failed the previous shot) for admission into PG courses like JD, MD, Dent etc?
BSc (2015), MD1 (2016)
Tutoring in 2016: http://www.tutorfinder.com.au/tutors/detail.php?TutorID=78301
Chuck a PM if interested :)

Available for tutoring on the summer holidays for university subjects or VCe.
Also tutoring for the Melbourne uni MMIs (medical/physiotherapy interviews)

Please don't PM me for lecture slides or recordings. I don't have them anymore.

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2014, 02:51:29 pm »
Does that apply to your GPA, like would they take the higher mark (assuming you failed the previous shot) for admission into PG courses like JD, MD, Dent etc?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Have a play around with this: WAM, GPA (4.0), HWA Calculator (MONASH)

You can't "undo" a fail though, unless you've transferred out of a course and you don't it across with you, afaik.

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »
I have a question..so failing a unit and then getting a good mark when repeated is better than passing with a 50?

Depends to which purpose as achre rightly points out.

To employees? No idea. It might look better to show that you do indeed have the capability and were just having some issues the first time you took it (or it might not, i have no idea).

Money wise, you still have to pay for it even if you pass (not a huge deal i guess). GPA/WAM wise, what achre says is also correct, if it averages out to higher than 50 with your second attempt, it is good.

Also, if you fail, you get the credit points returned to you. It's good or bad based on perspective. Maybe that area of study just wasn't for you and thats why you failed. You can now use those credit points to do another subject and excel in it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Have a play around with this: WAM, GPA (4.0), HWA Calculator (MONASH)

You can't "undo" a fail though, unless you've transferred out of a course and you don't it across with you, afaik.

Regarding undoing things, it depends.

Few ways you could achieve that. I believe for Med admissions, they only look at your last three years (full time equivalent i think) of study. So, if you add on an extra diploma or do honours, it kind of would "undo" your first year results. If you do both those things (diploma and honours) it'll probably "undo" your first two years depending when you add the diploma and the structure of your degree.

As Achre also points out, if you transfer, you can *choose* which units you take with you, which units you want to claim credit for. So, in theory you could leave your lowest units off that transfer form but say you leave 4-5 off, that means you have 4-5 extra units to do. I am not sure but if you're transferring internally (within the same uni), i dont know if its ever totally obliterated from your transcript. It still might show your old degree units even if you transfer out of them and later don't credit them. If you transfer to a new uni, they'll be totally wiped but people might also asked to see your old transcript.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

koosbory

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Monash University
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 07:11:45 pm »
Does Monash BusEco faculty have any form of recognition for those students who graduate top of their respective classes? i.e. Dean's list, etc

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 07:21:02 pm »
Does Monash BusEco faculty have any form of recognition for those students who graduate top of their respective classes? i.e. Dean's list, etc
Yes, dean's list for top BComm grad and top BComm (honours) grad, individual unit prizes (corp fi and adv corp fi for finance, the rest are mainly accounting etc), and heaps of other prizes for different courses with BusEco as the managing faculty, ceremony is usually in May/June each year. There's also the university medal for the top buseco kid.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:27:36 pm by TrueTears »
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

koosbory

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School: Monash University
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 07:28:20 pm »
Yes, dean's list for top BComm grad and top BComm (honours) grad, individual unit prizes (corp fi and adv corp fi for finance, the rest are mainly accounting etc), and heaps of other prizes for different courses, ceremony is usually in May/June each year. There's also the university medal for the top buseco kid.

Thanks mate  :D