Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 03:48:41 pm

Author Topic: Ice Bucket Challenge  (Read 9343 times)  Share 

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 05:32:26 pm »
According to this (available here: http://time.com/3148314/als-ice-bucket-challenge-million/), The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge has managed to raise over $8.6 million in a single day from donations. Great news.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Politics

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Emnanuel College
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 06:09:54 pm »
It is absolutely all over my facebook wall from people 'nek nominating', not this again.
2013 : VET IDM [39]
2014 : English | Psychology | Legal | Economics | Further

Chazef

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School: MLMC
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 07:11:24 pm »
yeah the wasting water argument is frustrating because it's not like we're wasting water which would have otherwise been shipped over to africa. If it's the sentimental value of it i.e. showing disrespect by wasting water, then we're disrespecting them in every second of our lives because most of the stuff we do uses a superfluous amount of resources in comparison to starving africans.

But referring to what I said before: could a case be made that despite the short-term benefit of people raising awareness for ALS, those same people will be less likely to contribute to future social issues due to thinking 'I've already contributed to a social issue recently via pouring water over my head to raise awareness'? Like a kind of moral fatigue where in the first place it may have taken effort to set up the video where they poured water over their head, but the amount they actually contributed towards ALS wasn't as much as they thought it was. I'm not telling you this is what I believe but I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible. The obvious counterargument is that the kinds of people who just do the bucket challenge and don't actually donate aren't the kind of people who would make meaningful future contributions anyway so it's no loss.
2012: legal studies [41]
2013: physics [47], chemistry [45], englang [40], softdev [43], methods [44]
ATAR: 99.20
Computer Science @ Monash

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 11:28:10 am »
Has anyone here actually done the challenge? I did it today, good fun for a good cause, get around it :)

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 11:33:01 am »
Has anyone here actually done the challenge? I did it today, good fun for a good cause, get around it :)
Haha yeah I did mine just yesterday LOL though I guess I'm spreading it for the awareness of other NGO's like the Cancer Council (since Daffodil Day was just last Friday)!

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 05:34:16 pm »

It went viral through my sister's year level so she got nominated (she's going to do it tomorrow - guess who's going to be pouring the bucket of water? ;D ) She wanted to nominate me but we both agreed earlier that would be cooler if we just both happened to do the challenge through chance nominations, rather than passing it onto each other. It's infiltrated my university cohort anyway, so I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before I get to do it.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 07:30:49 pm »
For all those who have got nominated/know people who have gotten nominated, did they actually donate? IF so to who? A few people on my timeline are donating to the American ALS association, not sure about that move.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Dejan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • straya m8
  • Respect: +32
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 07:42:31 pm »
What really annoys me about the ALS ice bucket challenge is that people don't even acknowledge the idea of donating in the video and or even donate themselves. People should be encouraged to donate regardless of how little or huge the donation may be, a form of giving money to the organization even if it is a $1 should be done. It almost feels like some people do it for the likes.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 08:06:59 pm »
What really annoys me about the ALS ice bucket challenge is that people don't even acknowledge the idea of donating in the video and or even donate themselves. People should be encouraged to donate regardless of how little or huge the donation may be, a form of giving money to the organization even if it is a $1 should be done. It almost feels like some people do it for the likes.

I absolutely feel the same way. Over the past few days, it seems everyone's doing the challenge via nominations to look like they're part of the trend. Essentially all/most of the vids i've seen lately involves a bucket, water and actually no requests to donate. Seems like the 'ice bucket challenge' is now turning into what is the new 'nek-nominations'.. Completely lost it's original purpose.

I must say though, there are some who actually do mention donation links/ask people to donate, so props to the people that take the time to talk about it/ask their friends to donate.

Essentially, it should be an expectation that those who do the ice bucket challenge contribute as well in some way, rather than doing it just to boost their own publicity and get likes. Whether it be $10, or $100.

ALS foundation so far have received over $50m in donations, which is great and will help out heaps... but if everyone donated, it could be so much more.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:14:30 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Dejan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • straya m8
  • Respect: +32
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 08:10:59 pm »
Yeah that is so true which is quite sad really. If the person goes out their way to explain what the purpose of the video is and then goes to ask and provide links to donate then I have no problem with it.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 11:06:06 pm »
For all those who have got nominated/know people who have gotten nominated, did they actually donate? IF so to who? A few people on my timeline are donating to the American ALS association, not sure about that move.

Yeah I did the MND Australia site :)

It almost feels like some people do it for the likes.

To be honest, I don't think that's a /bad/ thing. If your video made one extra person donate I don't really care what reason they did it for.

EspoirTron

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +82
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 11:35:17 pm »

Made me proud :'(

I did it too guys, it was fun, but I also discussed other things that have impacts on our soceity
2012-2013: VCE
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine at Monash University