Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 10:17:30 am

Author Topic: Need a good laptop for uni  (Read 1801 times)  Share 

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Need a good laptop for uni
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:32:16 pm »
Hey guys!
So I really need a new laptop soon because we haven't really got anything proper at home right now for uni/studying. The main purpose is for uni at the moment. I'm not a gamer or anything of the sorts so i just need something with a good battery life but that's within the $500-800 range.. I'm willing to stretch to $1000 give or take. Anyway, I need something that:
- Has a good battery life
- Is reliable - won't be at risk of heating up or having technical errors
- Will last me a good number of years
- Isn't too heavy/big to lug around
- Is within my budget

I don't really want a tablet because I've already got one. I also dont want a desktop or a small notebook (I currently have an Asus transformer book t100 but I want something a little bigger).

I was thinking of getting a macbook air for a while but I don't like the fact that its not windows and I don't know if its worth the $1000+. Let me know if this is a good purchase instead though and what I can do to make up for the fact that it isn't windows, doesnt have a CD drive (I know most laptops don't know anyway haha), etc.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated! I'm keen to get one ASAP!
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

M_BONG

Re: Need a good laptop for uni
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 07:49:58 pm »
I will speak volumes for a Macbook Air - it's actually pretty good and satisfies everything you need above.

Good thing about Apple is that their warranty program is really good (even with or without Apple Care). My iPod Nano screwed up the other day, so I went into the Apple Store. They couldn't turn it on themselves and I was given a new one on the spot - no questions asked. Heck, they didn't even need a receipt; they just looked up the serial number lol and I saw the same thing being done with a lady having problems with her Macbook Air.

Also, the Air is really light, good as battery life, decent processor (although I would have gotten the Pro if I didn't have iMac at home) and I am currently overseas (30 +degrees every day) and it doesn't heat up. I have to say I was skeptical with the Apple OS before I got my iMac last year - but it turns out, it's actually amazing and pretty easy to get used to. The Mac is basically like an iPad - it doesn't freeze often at all. Problem is that some programs (only very few actually) don't cater for Mac. Fair point about not having the CD slot as well though - but most program installers (such as printers) for Macs don't need the disc unlike for windows, you download a separate installer. But yeah I guess you might struggle with playing DVDs and CDs without paying for an external slot?

But yeah, if $1,100 is a bit of a stretch, I would give Lenovo laptops a go - they are the equivalence of a good Windows laptop.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:52:49 pm by Zezima. »

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:14:51 pm »
As I was reading your description, I was already thinking about suggesting an Air. 11 inches is $1050 with the Education discount, $1148 for the 13 inch. You've also got a while to opt for Apple care, it doesn't need to be bought straight away. If you do buy it, you're guaranteed 3 years out of the laptop essentially. The OS is fine. It can do literally everything Windows can do. After using a PC my whole life,  I started using a Macbook, and whilst it was frustrating at first, I now prefer it to Windows. (Although I hold no "allegiance" to Mac/PC).
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:47:17 pm »
If price is a concern you can get a windows 'ultrabook' for less than the equivalent MBA. I hate 11 inch screens on laptops and you can get a 13inch windows ultrabook for less than the cost of an 11 inch MBA if you're wanting to save money.

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
  • Respect: +73
  • School: SHGC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:52:50 pm »
I got a 13" macbook and so far it has served me well. I can print stuff on here, type my notes etc. Everything works for me, plus there are apps there that can make note-taking fun. I don't know much about laptops but I agree that the battery life is long. I don't have to charge it often and when I feel lazy, I can survive on 20% for 30 minutes? or even longer.

Sorry if this is a useless comment but basically, I have a mac and so should you ;P
2014: BA @ Monash University
2015: LLB(Hons)/BA @ Monash University