Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:30:34 am

Author Topic: RMIT or QUT for Engineering-urgent!!  (Read 18022 times)  Share 

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Re: RMIT or QUT for Engineering-urgent!!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 11:46:21 am »
bump  :-\
Monash University

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 07:11:30 pm »
Mate this is a very specific query and probably no one here can give you any concrete info on both universities as they are in different states. It's not like you're comparing monash and rmit and Melbourne Uni or whatever. Most of us have no idea about QUT and you have had a number of opinions offered to you.
2008 - 2010 | Bachelor of Production @ Victorian College of the Arts
2013 - 2015 | Bachelor of Science @ UoM (Bioengineering Systems)
2016 - 2017 | Master of Engineering (Biomedical) @ UoM

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 12:40:04 am »
Mate this is a very specific query and probably no one here can give you any concrete info on both universities as they are in different states. It's not like you're comparing monash and rmit and Melbourne Uni or whatever. Most of us have no idea about QUT and you have had a number of opinions offered to you.

OK mate. no worries then. :)
I'll try to solve this somehow.
Monash University

tinagunface

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +5
  • School: John Monash Science School
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 06:47:05 pm »
I think I've replied to this question a bit too late (So I hope you have made your decision now). I hope others who may be in the same dilemma could get some insight.

1. Oh really? Well in that case, RMIT seems to not cater as well as it should for that area of engineering. And aerospace engineering as you pointed out is extremely difficult to get a job (single), so I know a few that have changed their course due to it. It really does depend on the course that you want to do. Although it might be a stupid idea, why not do two degrees that you want separately? A double degree at RMIT is 5 years, so it's not greatly different to 6 years that you would be doing at Monash

2. There are places that people can hang out! (but hardly compared to monash and melbourne). There's an alumni courtyard where I usually hang out and its chill and all, but I recently found out that the creepy windows that I kept on seeing there were actually the Old Melbourne Gaol lol.
Nope! Sadly theres hardly any sports facilities based on RMIT, but there's so many in the city (or close by) , that its not really required.
Building 12 is the engineering building (opposite to Building 80)

3. Well last year I had ~14 hours (the 2nd degree is only 2 hours or so)

The reason I chose RMIT is because it is close, and they have connections where I believe it is easier to transition to work after I finish uni. I was a John Monash Science School student (you've probably seen those annoying kids at uni), and I felt so dead after travelling there and back for three years(Since I live on the other side). I didn't want to experience for another three lol.

From what I'm aware, Monash starts with two years where everyone does the same thing until you get to choose in the third (or is that a wrong preconception?). For my first year, I went straight into the chemical engineering fundamentals.

The faculty is quite helpful, but it moreso depends on the lecturer that you get for that subject. You may sometimes get one horrendous lecturer that does your head in (It's happening to me right now)

Assignments wise, people keep on telling me they get essays in their uni, and I haven't done that so far! (yay!) Assignments for first year are usually kept to a minimum. The max assignment for one course would be two, but most would be just one. There's usually one big assignment that's done in a group in the year. There's tests weekly/fortnightly for most courses, but they were basic. Mid semesters and exams are harder, well duh (but I don't think as much as Monash)

Tests and assigments are relatively easy (if you put the effort into study). Pretty much, coursework will be easier if you put the effort to do so. And that obviously applies to every uni lol

Again, I'm really sorry for replying late (after the census date), but I am curious as to what you decided to go with. :)
2012: Psychology
2013: Methods | English | Chemistry | Biology | Physics

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 02:08:56 pm »
I think I've replied to this question a bit too late (So I hope you have made your decision now). I hope others who may be in the same dilemma could get some insight.

1. Oh really? Well in that case, RMIT seems to not cater as well as it should for that area of engineering. And aerospace engineering as you pointed out is extremely difficult to get a job (single), so I know a few that have changed their course due to it. It really does depend on the course that you want to do. Although it might be a stupid idea, why not do two degrees that you want separately? A double degree at RMIT is 5 years, so it's not greatly different to 6 years that you would be doing at Monash

2. There are places that people can hang out! (but hardly compared to monash and melbourne). There's an alumni courtyard where I usually hang out and its chill and all, but I recently found out that the creepy windows that I kept on seeing there were actually the Old Melbourne Gaol lol.
Nope! Sadly theres hardly any sports facilities based on RMIT, but there's so many in the city (or close by) , that its not really required.
Building 12 is the engineering building (opposite to Building 80)

3. Well last year I had ~14 hours (the 2nd degree is only 2 hours or so)

The reason I chose RMIT is because it is close, and they have connections where I believe it is easier to transition to work after I finish uni. I was a John Monash Science School student (you've probably seen those annoying kids at uni), and I felt so dead after travelling there and back for three years(Since I live on the other side). I didn't want to experience for another three lol.

From what I'm aware, Monash starts with two years where everyone does the same thing until you get to choose in the third (or is that a wrong preconception?). For my first year, I went straight into the chemical engineering fundamentals.

The faculty is quite helpful, but it moreso depends on the lecturer that you get for that subject. You may sometimes get one horrendous lecturer that does your head in (It's happening to me right now)

Assignments wise, people keep on telling me they get essays in their uni, and I haven't done that so far! (yay!) Assignments for first year are usually kept to a minimum. The max assignment for one course would be two, but most would be just one. There's usually one big assignment that's done in a group in the year. There's tests weekly/fortnightly for most courses, but they were basic. Mid semesters and exams are harder, well duh (but I don't think as much as Monash)

Tests and assigments are relatively easy (if you put the effort into study). Pretty much, coursework will be easier if you put the effort to do so. And that obviously applies to every uni lol

Again, I'm really sorry for replying late (after the census date), but I am curious as to what you decided to go with. :)

Thanks a lot for so much information. Well in the end I took an intermission from Monash course as I had to take some decision before census date. So now I can either start from another uni from next semester or continue at Monash Monash itself. It has basically taken 4 months out of me. but its worth it I feel. I can get a more informative decision rather than just randomly starting from an uni and wondering what should I do now.

Anyway Its OK for replying late. At least you replied, given not much people have replied here :)

Though I have some time, I can't keep it to the last minute. Don't know how to take a decision.  :-\ moving states would be kind of hard. but then I feel like I am going to miss a lot by going to RMIT as they really lack what Monash offer in terms of campus feel.   :-\ but I like the idea of not doing a general first year and doing specific subjects from first semester onwards but the then again their course structure is so rigid and lack the flexibility so I doubt whether I gain much by leaving Monash except may be the amount of contact hours and and may be the difficulty a bit.

Basically the course structure and campus feel are the two most important things for me. but It doesn't have to have so much of campus feel. but I really don't want to feel like, "Oh I could have stayed in Monash, this really sucks" or something like that.

I will be so thankful if anyone here could put in their ideas on this :)
Monash University

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 02:24:31 pm »
bump  :-\
Monash University

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 03:37:39 pm »
Out of interest, you posted this almost a month ago labelled "urgent". When do you need to decide?

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 12:46:13 pm »
Out of interest, you posted this almost a month ago labelled "urgent". When do you need to decide?

It was because the census date was nearing so I had to take a decision about whether I am going to continue or defer Monash course. as now I have deferred it, I have bit more time to decide about which uni I am going to go. hopefully you can put some input :)
Monash University

hobbitle

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 01:02:01 pm »
hopefully you can put some input :)
I already did.

power4

• Non-Student
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 08:55:05 pm »
I already did.

Oh I forgot it.Thanks :)
Monash University