Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 03:31:02 pm

Author Topic: Transfer to Pharmacy Course via Biomedicine Course.  (Read 2552 times)  Share 

squance

Transfer to Pharmacy Course via Biomedicine Course.
« on: August 30, 2009, 01:56:49 pm »
My sister really wants to do medicine at Monash but if she can't get in, her back up is Pharmacy at Monash.

She reckons she will get into Pharmacy first round but if not, she wants to do a course that will possibly allow her to transfer after 1st.

She was looking at Biomedicine - Monash and Unimelb.

She was wondering if she did 1st year biomedicine at unimelb, would she be allowed to transfer to Monash Pharmacy (since unimelb has breadth subjects and whatever while Monash biomedicine is just biomedicine)?

In addition, would doing a double degree (eg: Biomedicine and Commerce), allow transfer (since for double degrees, you just do half of the subjects of what you would do in a single degree, and this may not cover all the units that allow transfer)?

Thanks

doboman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
Re: Transfer to Pharmacy Course via Biomedicine Course.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 03:36:34 pm »
Short answer is yes.

Keep in mind that she has to do fairly well in the UMAT (160+) for her to stand a chance. Also keep in mind that she has to maintain a GPA of roughly 6 or above. In selection, they look at GPA + UMAT, and competition is relatively fierce.

EDIT: Toothy will cover it for you :P
Please note that I do not have any evidence supporting this; other than anacdotal stories. But there must be something on their site.

Refer to toothy's post.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 03:56:05 pm by doboman »
"Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths"

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 03:37:24 pm »
Yes she'll be able to transfer into pharmacy if she has the UMAT (valid for two years) and an okay average mark in her original course (probably a D to HD, HD preferably). lol doboman, you don't even need 160s, 150s would get you in easily.

She reckons she will get into Pharmacy first round but if not, she wants to do a course that will possibly allow her to transfer after 1st.

She was looking at Biomedicine - Monash and Unimelb.

She was wondering if she did 1st year biomedicine at unimelb, would she be allowed to transfer to Monash Pharmacy (since unimelb has breadth subjects and whatever while Monash biomedicine is just biomedicine)?
Yep, any course would let you transfer. It's just better to have a sciencey course (with biology/physiology and chemistry) to transfer if you want credit.

Also just so you know (even though you didn't ask), with a Bachelor of Science, one year of chemistry is only worth one semester in Pharmacy (because there's two chemistry units in first semester). With the biomedical science at Monash you won't be able to get full credit either. If you get credit for chemistry you'd miss out on the bits where chemistry is applied to medication and how they work. Though it's not a big deal if you miss the organic chemistry unit because the lecturer is so shit anyway (bias).

• With either biomedicine courses you'll probably be able to get credit for physiology (I think only first semester). The second semester physiology unit called "Systems physiology" is equivalent to the University of Melbourne's second year physiology. haha. That said, this is only from anecdotal evidence/asking people and if you want 100% sureness then I'd recommend rocking up to Monash Parkville anytime during the week; go to the student services place and ask them (they're there to help you with these kind of queries).

Take note that she will not be able to get credit for the unit called "Pharmacy Health and Society (I and II)" because it's specifically to do with Pharmacy and involves a lot of drug/drug making/doctor-pharmacist/patient stuff. So she'll have to do a combination of 1st and 2nd year subjects if she wants credit through transferring. Also, you can only do the following combo: 1st/2nd or 2nd/3rd year units together (you can't do 1st/2nd/3rd). If you do these you will probably have clashes and they recommend you go to the year level unit that's highest.

The reason why they don't allow 3rd/4th year units at the same time is because in 4th year you have your placements. So if you do a combination of subjects you'll still end up finishing at the same time as the people in your lowest year level units.

Here is the course map: http://www.pharm.monash.edu.au/students/undergrad/courses/pharmacy-coursemap-with-prereqs.pdf
(the course is "revamped" from the old course)
  • Also, the units run ONCE A YEAR. So there's no speeding up the course. If you fail a unit, there are NO supplementary exams so you'll have to wait a year to do that same unit again. You pretty much screw up the course sequence if you fail, so yeah, if your sister gets in tell her to not fail!

In addition, would doing a double degree (eg: Biomedicine and Commerce), allow transfer (since for double degrees, you just do half of the subjects of what you would do in a single degree, and this may not cover all the units that allow transfer)?
Yes double degrees still allow. It doesn't matter which course you get into pharmacy from if you don't care much about the credit. They just recommend you do science so it makes it easier for you. VCE science is sufficient IMO.

Here's the page for transfers:
http://www.pharm.monash.edu.au/students/undergrad/courses/courses.html

I had something to type then I forgot what it was. So, questions?

^doboman hahaha sorry :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 06:37:42 pm by Toothpaste »

doboman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 04:06:04 pm »
LOL. Well didn't I get owned...

But just a few quick questions toothy :).

1. Is there any figures to tell how many non-standards they take?
2. 150 for non-standards? Really? That's quite low, considering there wouldnt be as many places availiable to non-standards.
3. Do you like pharmacy?
"Acknowledge Him in all your ways, and He will direct your paths"

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 04:14:27 pm »
LOL. Well didn't I get owned...

But just a few quick questions toothy :).

1. Is there any figures to tell how many non-standards they take?
2. 150 for non-standards? Really? That's quite low, considering there wouldnt be as many places availiable to non-standards.
3. Do you like pharmacy?

zomg I'm no longer anonymous, should delete my post.

1. hmm I think they mentioned it in a lecture at the start but I wasn't paying attention. From just knowing people, there's quite a lot.
2. Well there are people straight from high school with 150s, so I think it would be the same. It's best to ask the university I guess.
3. It's okay. I don't love it. It's just okay (I don't like chemistry that much). The people there make it awesome though. I think it's one of the courses where everyone's tight-knit since it's the same people everyday.

Mostly anecdotal answers
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:24:09 pm by Toothpaste »

Toothpaste

• pseudospastic
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Member #10
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 04:20:18 pm »
Another thing, way more girls than boys. Way. More.
Also, so many boats-full of international students. Excuse my reference.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:24:38 pm by Toothpaste »

squance

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 06:19:31 pm »
THANKS SO MUCH TOOTHPASTE :D :D :D :D
My sis is gonna appreciate this :D

mystikal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:48:04 pm »
this has helpped me too thanks!