Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:59:05 pm

Author Topic: "Netflix and Chill" - A PERFECT modern example of teenage slang!  (Read 2135 times)  Share 

dmitridr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • VCE English Language Tutor
  • Respect: +38
"Netflix and Chill" - A PERFECT modern example of teenage slang!
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:44:52 pm »
+8
"Netflix and chill" - My 17 year old brother only told me about this slang phrase today and I had no idea what it meant. He was very surprised that I didn't know this, and then I realised that I hadn't heard of this phrase before because as a slang term, this phrase is restricted predominantly to teenagers.

This is what I found online regarding this slang phrase and what you should be including in your essays at the end of the year!

It’s a phrase that means, roughly, “hooking up.” But it’s a lot more complicated than that. “Netflix and chill” is a classic case of social media-fueled semantic drift. It began as a plain, descriptive phrase (“Can’t wait to leave work so I can watch Netflix and chill!”), and stayed that way for several years before acquiring a loose sexual connotation (“Wanna come over for Netflix and chill? ;)”) and, eventually becoming a known code phrase (“He said he loves me, but I know he just wants to Netflix and chill”).

As with most recent internet slang, “Netflix and chill” seems to have originated on Black Twitter before migrating to Instagram, Tumblr, Vine, and the outer reaches of Memeland. And in a way, it’s the perfect teenage shibboleth. If you were 16, and your parents caught you texting “Netflix and chill?” to your girlfriend, they might think you were proposing an innocent night of watching Chopped on the couch.

Let’s take a look at how “Netflix and chill” became every teen’s favorite euphemism for getting it on.

Source: http://fusion.net/story/190020/netflix-and-chill/

Notice the quote "If you were 16, and your parents caught you texting “Netflix and chill?” to your girlfriend, they might think you were proposing an innocent night of watching Chopped on the couch" - this perfectly proves the function of slang, and that is to create social exclusion of the out-group!

I hope this helps!
Winter EL Workshop on Unit 4 AOS 1! Click here!

Need VCE English Language tutoring? Offering personal and group tutoring! See more details here!

Require a VCE tutor for any subject? - Click here!

Learn the entire VCE English Language 3/4 course inside out, in an interactive & engaging way! Get 25% OFF the full price today: Click here.

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
Re: "Netflix and Chill" - A PERFECT modern example of teenage slang!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 09:29:57 pm »
+7
And then to incite in-group solidarity through humour, using puns like "chem lecture and chills" during my Chemistry lecture. :P
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

flares

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: "Netflix and Chill" - A PERFECT modern example of teenage slang!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:09:11 pm »
And then to incite in-group solidarity through humour, using puns like "chem lecture and chills" during my Chemistry lecture. :P

HAHAHAHA!! I went to your chem lecture (morning sesh), it was HILARIOUS! Great lecture btw
2015: MM, SM, Chem, FT, EL