Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 07:33:28 pm

Author Topic: I *HATE* ALL ENGLISHES BUT WANNA SCORE HIGH IN VCE, ENGLISH OR EL??  (Read 12451 times)  Share 

chewybacca

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: I *HATE* ALL ENGLISHES BUT WANNA SCORE HIGH IN VCE, ENGLISH OR EL??
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 08:15:52 pm »
I think most of what I'm going to say has already been talked about by the above posters (to an even greater level of detail), but here's my two cents:

Having done English Lang. and doing English, it really depends. Are you more analytical (judging by your subject listing)? Do EL. Do you like to think big and write about complex ideas within a few texts? Do English (or Lit.). For me, though, I felt EL was "easier" for my tastes (simply because of the amount of essays you have to write in EL would normally be less, and the fact that I was more an "analytical" person anyway...) and also the workload would probably be less demanding (in my opinion, of course).

That's not to say you would get higher marks though - be prepared to research a fair amount if you do EL (perhaps even more than in English, even accounting for the Context component of English) to score exceptionally well in the essay section (in the exam). But it's definitely more concrete (black/white) compared to English (and, to a more extreme level, Lit.).
VCE 2007: Accounting (46)
VCE 2008: Biology (41), Chemistry (45), English Language (44)
VCE 2009: Maths Methods (48), Spec. Maths (39), Physics (46), English (42)
2009 UMEP Accounting (H1 5.5)
2009 ENTER: 99.7

2010-2012: BCom (Acc/Fin) (UniMelb.)

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 04:00:42 pm »
sorry to revive an oldish thread.
but how difficult would EL be doing as a subject outside of school? like once a week classes?
would a lot of private study be needed?
i'm considering doing EL as i am terrible at english and really want to have a high english score.
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

2011: BSc @ UoM

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

20XX: MEDICINE

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 04:12:52 pm »
I think it would be quite hard to do EL outside of school. The EL course is very broad, and the EL textbooks do not cover it in necessary depth. Unless you are very diligent, stick religiously to the study design and do lots of your own research, it will be hard to learn it by yourself.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 07:59:16 pm »
I think it would be quite hard to do EL outside of school. The EL course is very broad, and the EL textbooks do not cover it in necessary depth. Unless you are very diligent, stick religiously to the study design and do lots of your own research, it will be hard to learn it by yourself.

well i'd have a 3hr or so class each week outside of school. i'm just not really sure about this class and what sort of work i'd have to do outside. :| or how difficult EL is going to be, i really don't think i've capable of getting much higher than 35 in lit/english, whereas in EL it seems if i study for it i can (: what do you mean by your own research?
2010 VCE: psychology | english language | methods cas | further | chemistry | physical ed | uni chemistry || ATAR: 97.40 ||

Y1: biology of cells&organisms | music psychology | biological psychology | secret life of language | creative writing
    || genetics&the evolution of life | biochemistry&molecular biology | techniques of molecular science -.- | mind,brain&behaviour 2

appianway

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 09:49:18 pm »
To do well in English Language, you need knowledge that is much broader than the scope of the course. That means that you either need to pore through articles looking for examples and read a plethora of linguistics books, or you need a good teacher. Good teachers can often point you in the direction of the information, whereas if you're by yourself, it'd be a lot harder to do.

/0

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 10:09:25 pm »

well i'd have a 3hr or so class each week outside of school. i'm just not really sure about this class and what sort of work i'd have to do outside. :| or how difficult EL is going to be, i really don't think i've capable of getting much higher than 35 in lit/english, whereas in EL it seems if i study for it i can (: what do you mean by your own research?

Nevermind, I was assuming that you would be doing one of those long-distance programs. But yeah I guess if you have classes then it would probably be ok. By your own research I mean you have to do wider reading and you have to keep up to date with language phenomena in order to show the examiners you know your stuff (this is for th essay mostly).

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 11:15:17 pm »
^ Thanks for replies :)
Yep definitely doing it at a centre once a week with a class! I wouldn't be able to do this solo, does anyone know the best one to do it at? (i'm speaking to my vce co-oridinator next week about this - if i can ever do it ha)

hmm, so i'm assuming that my teacher will tell us what sort of articles we need to go through? this research that needs to be done sounds quite vague ;|
is most of the assessments done essays? or is that only for the exam? is there a lot of prepation for this essay, and is it as structured as an english essay or more factual like the humanities essays we did in grade 10?

ngRISING

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 11:43:00 pm »
go to tye & english in glenny

http://www.tyeandenglish.com/TNEindex.html

had a few friends go. i personally didn't go due to not knowing about it at the start of the year so i cbb half way through

i recommend the book living lingo + macmillans 1&2. i have macmillins 1&2. $15 if u need it otherwise im selling it to lil kddies at my school next week!

i have the typical henimeninefashjkfjask however u spell it was well but my friend SHOTGUNNED IT

eng lang isnt a hard subject but requires constant practice of essays and applying the knowledge
for instance when we were learning about spoken, i applied some principles eg grices maxims to peoples convos and found it very interesting. well thats just me, i like to test what my teachers say.

. i know u do psych but its not like psych. psych can be rote learned. eng lang cannot be rote learned except for the definitions which you don't have to usually define.

goodluck

edit. your own research is like say finding out more about certain areas; eg a part of eng lang requires some form of knowledge about teenspeak [broadly speaking is the language used by teenagers], its been used for a while, but let's say 50years ago the teenspeak terms were rad, cowabunga, but teenspeak in present times is different as it now includes terms such as sick(referring to something that is interesting), whats up bro (to greet close friends) and do not contain previous teenspeak terms.  this is just a small scope of eng lang. those examples weren't good either. im so sleepy atm .

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:49:08 pm by ngRISING »
2008: Further Maths & LOTE
2009: English Language, Psychology, Maths Methods, Business Management and Physics
2010: Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash!
2011: Bachelor of Business-Logistics & Supply Chain Management (applied)

Employed by NAB.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 08:53:32 pm »
^ Thanks, but i live way to far from glenny haha, i found out i can only do it at CAE during the day once a week. i gues that's not too bad.
I don't need those books as of yet, as i won't decide if i'm doing it until early next year :| but thanks for the offer.

EL sounds so unusual - i don't really understand how to write these essays and such. how will i know what sort of research to do, and is the essay in the exam always similar? or different topics that could be about anything :| will we cover all these topics.
ahh so confusing!

ngRISING

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 10:05:20 pm »
broadly speaking, there are 10 -12 catergories. [my teachers have put all the 01-08 VCAA Exams under 9 catergories but i reckon theres more. 

englang essays are similar to persuasive/arguementative english essays [having said done unit 1&2 english @ tutor in year 10. and i didnt even do eng what a waste LOL ==' ]
but yeah ^^. goodluck hope you make the right decision. studying some of the stuff on 1&2 over the holidays would be a good idea since u didnt do 1&2
2008: Further Maths & LOTE
2009: English Language, Psychology, Maths Methods, Business Management and Physics
2010: Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash!
2011: Bachelor of Business-Logistics & Supply Chain Management (applied)

Employed by NAB.

vexx

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 11:26:55 pm »
what do you mean there are 10-12 catagories? what are these categories :| heh sorry
hmmm i see, thanks. i still have some time to think about this.