Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 02:42:48 pm

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 278656 times)  Share 

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
  • She believed she could, so she did.
  • Respect: +7
Re: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #840 on: October 30, 2018, 03:28:42 pm »
Hello  ;D

Can anyone help me with how to answering this 6 marker question:
"Explain ethical teaching in Islam" for Sexual Ethics?
What do I include in the response and how should I structure it?

Also,
Does anyone have any notes on marriage ceremony for Christianity for individual and community? and how would I integrate it in an essay? Like what are the three significant points that I could use while also stating the issue of same-sex marriage in australia???

THANK YOU

Seanclair

• Adventurer
  • "I can, and I will"
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #841 on: November 01, 2018, 02:45:00 pm »
hey guys so I just have a quick question.

in the 2013 multi choice question 10 says

"the worship of ancestral beings is central to ceremonial life"
"territorial boundaries form the basis of ritual estate"

I said both statements were true, but NESA says statement 1 is false and 2 is true?
how is statement one false?

can someone pls help me out?
HSC 2018:
English Advanced
Studies of Religion 2
Ancient History
History Extension
Legal Studies
Geography

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
« Reply #842 on: November 01, 2018, 04:12:25 pm »
"the worship of ancestral beings is central to ceremonial life"
"territorial boundaries form the basis of ritual estate"

I did this question the other day and the reason being is the "territorial boundaries form the basis of ritual estate" refers to kinship groups and certain totems belonging to one tribe in a certain 'ritual estate' whereas, "the worship of ancestral beings is central to ceremonial life" is false because the central to ceremonial life is the expression of dreaming and other aspects as well, not just the worship of ancestral beings.

Ultimately, its the wording of 'central' that confuses some people.

Seanclair

• Adventurer
  • "I can, and I will"
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #843 on: November 01, 2018, 08:43:35 pm »
+1
I did this question the other day and the reason being is the "territorial boundaries form the basis of ritual estate" refers to kinship groups and certain totems belonging to one tribe in a certain 'ritual estate' whereas, "the worship of ancestral beings is central to ceremonial life" is false because the central to ceremonial life is the expression of dreaming and other aspects as well, not just the worship of ancestral beings.

Ultimately, its the wording of 'central' that confuses some people.

okay that makes sense. thats a pretty tough one. thanks for your help!
HSC 2018:
English Advanced
Studies of Religion 2
Ancient History
History Extension
Legal Studies
Geography

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #844 on: November 01, 2018, 08:50:03 pm »
+2
Hello  ;D

Can anyone help me with how to answering this 6 marker question:
"Explain ethical teaching in Islam" for Sexual Ethics?
What do I include in the response and how should I structure it?

Also,
Does anyone have any notes on marriage ceremony for Christianity for individual and community? and how would I integrate it in an essay? Like what are the three significant points that I could use while also stating the issue of same-sex marriage in australia???

THANK YOU

Hi!

For Christian marriage these are the notes I had:

MARRIAGE IS SYMBOLIC OF THE IMPORTANCE OF CHRISTIAN LOVE
-   Faithful and everlasting.
-   Love within marriage reflects Christ’s unconditional love.
-   The community play an important role in supporting the couple’s love.
-   The couple’s challenges in the vows: “in sickness and health, comfort and trouble.”
-   The community, as symbolised in the Maid of Honour and Best Man help the couple through these challenges.
THE MARRIED STATE IS A REFLECTION OF THE IMAGE OF GOD
-   Marriage involves the union of man and woman created in God’s image, to later be “fruitful and multiply.”
-   The institution of marriage was described at the beginning of the Bible and therefore in marriage, man and woman created in God’s image become “one flesh.”
•   Can link to Principal Belief of Revelation as God reveals himself through the couple and their unconditional love for one another.
MARRIAGE EXPRESSES THE BELIEF IN THE COVENANT WITH JESUS
-   Man and woman pledge their lives to one another until “death do us part.”
-   This is achieved through the acts of kindness and mutual love the two share.
-   In order to keep the Covenant that marriage represents, the couple stay faithful to each other.
-   Catholic Church places particular emphasis on the presence of the Covenant within marriage through the Nuptial Mass.
-   Immerses the couple and witnesses to Christ’s covenantal promise in the Eucharist.
MARRIAGE REFLECTS THE LOVE BEWTEEN CHRIST AND THE CHURCH
-   Love between man and wife expresses selfless love of Christ in Death and Resurrection.
-   Marriage ceremonies in the Orthodox Church reflect the everlasting love Christ has for the Church as the couple build the Kingdom of God through the love and service they offer each other. (The Ritual Crowning)
•   Can link to Principal Belief in Death and Resurrection.
MARRIAGE COMES WITH THE RESPONSIBILITY OF FAMILY
-   Couples called to procreate.
-   Display Christ’s unconditional love within their own family.
-   Bring up their family as to enrich to the social and religious life of the community. 

If you are looking to discuss same-sex marriage, perhaps look into disagreements about the nature of Christian live. The last point about the responsibility of family/procreation could be a point against by some churches while reflection of image of God/importance of love could be used by progressive churches as a point for?

As for sexual ethics, I didn't do Islam but generally structure wise, it depends how many marks.

If it is 4 marks - I pick two issues to discuss and just explore the differing stances on the issue, using biblical and other references. If it is more than that, try do 3 different sexual ethics issues. Also, it's great during the paragraphs to make clear the distinctions between the different strands of Islam in your case (if there are strands) - so this is another way you can structure it.

Hope that helped :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
« Reply #845 on: November 01, 2018, 08:55:41 pm »
Hi!

For Christian marriage these are the notes I had:

Hope that helped :)

Dude, thank you

msimo4

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #846 on: November 01, 2018, 09:36:01 pm »
Will they be using/should we have to know 2016 Census data information? Last year they only went up to 2011 data but idk if they're going to change it just for this year.

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
« Reply #847 on: November 01, 2018, 10:07:50 pm »
+1
Will they be using/should we have to know 2016 Census data information? Last year they only went up to 2011 data but idk if they're going to change it just for this year.

knowing both is good, so you can compare each statistic and support it with how secularism has increased by the population choosing 'no religion' has increased. or just know the 2016 one as its more updated :)

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #848 on: November 03, 2018, 11:50:38 am »
In my trial response for Jewish marriage I was criticised for not having a reference for the quote "You are consecrated to me, through this ring, according to the religion of Moses and Israel.” This is what the husband says to the wife when putting on the ring, however, it has no reference because it is not from any texts. It's like saying 'I pronounce you husband and wife". Is it then alright to just use it without a reference?

Thanks
ARTEXPRESS 2019

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #849 on: November 03, 2018, 03:20:25 pm »
In my trial response for Jewish marriage I was criticised for not having a reference for the quote "You are consecrated to me, through this ring, according to the religion of Moses and Israel.” This is what the husband says to the wife when putting on the ring, however, it has no reference because it is not from any texts. It's like saying 'I pronounce you husband and wife". Is it then alright to just use it without a reference?

Thanks

Hi! I'd even just say something like, "as typically said in Jewish wedding ceremonies," or similar! I bet you could find a textual reference if you hunted deep enough, but if not even just a vague reference is better than nothing ;D

LadyWhoAsksTooMuchQuestions

• Trailblazer
« Reply #850 on: November 03, 2018, 05:08:28 pm »
hey! in my trial exam, it took me an hour to write the religion and peace essay so i had to rush the other sections. i ended UP writing 3 booklets but got 17/20. the feedback said to be "concise" but when i asked my teacher to help me cut down on it, she started helping me when there was three more minutes left of the lesson  :-\ is anyone able to do it? its pretty long.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:14:20 pm by LadyWhoAsksTooMuchQuestions »
Failure.

2018 HSC Subjects:
English Standard
Studies of Religion II
Information Digital and Technology
Community and Family Studies
Senior Science

talitha_h

• Forum Regular
« Reply #851 on: November 03, 2018, 07:18:29 pm »
Hi! I'd even just say something like, "as typically said in Jewish wedding ceremonies," or similar! I bet you could find a textual reference if you hunted deep enough, but if not even just a vague reference is better than nothing ;D

I've searched every Jewish source and there's nothing! So i guess I'll just say something like that..
ARTEXPRESS 2019

mirakhiralla

• Trailblazer
« Reply #852 on: November 03, 2018, 08:16:29 pm »
Hey heyyy,
I am struggling to answer this question, its from the 2014 HSC paper.

Religious practices in Christianity help followers gain a deeper understanding of their beliefs.
How does this statement help to demonstrae the significance of ONE of the following practices for the Christian community?
- Baptism   -Marriage ceremony   -Saturday/Sunday Worship

I am doing baptism and I just don't know what I should be talking about that answers how the Christian community would gain more of an understanding of their beliefs.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #853 on: November 03, 2018, 08:30:43 pm »
Hey heyyy,
I am struggling to answer this question, its from the 2014 HSC paper.

Religious practices in Christianity help followers gain a deeper understanding of their beliefs.
How does this statement help to demonstrae the significance of ONE of the following practices for the Christian community?
- Baptism   -Marriage ceremony   -Saturday/Sunday Worship

I am doing baptism and I just don't know what I should be talking about that answers how the Christian community would gain more of an understanding of their beliefs.

Hey! Basically, you are looking for links between Baptism and the key beliefs. Once you have them, it's one extra step to go, "Oh, by engaging in Baptism, Christians gain a greater appreciation/understanding of those beliefs." For example, the immersion and subsequence emergence of the adherent is reminiscent of Christ's death and resurrection, so by practicing Baptism adherents come to a greater understanding of that aspect of their faith!

There are plenty of helpful notes in our Notes section on how Baptism links to the key belief :)

mirakhiralla

• Trailblazer
« Reply #854 on: November 03, 2018, 08:33:56 pm »
Hey! Basically, you are looking for links between Baptism and the key beliefs. Once you have them, it's one extra step to go, "Oh, by engaging in Baptism, Christians gain a greater appreciation/understanding of those beliefs." For example, the immersion and subsequence emergence of the adherent is reminiscent of Christ's death and resurrection, so by practicing Baptism adherents come to a greater understanding of that aspect of their faith!

There are plenty of helpful notes in our Notes section on how Baptism links to the key belief :)

So should I be looking at certain things used within a baptism, that have a symbolic meaning linking to Christianity's beliefs? for example, water symbolises the washing of sin which links to salvation?