Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 10, 2024, 04:29:07 am

Author Topic: HSC Studies of Religion Question Thread  (Read 278682 times)  Share 

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
Re: Studies of Religion Question Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2016, 02:57:01 pm »
No worries at all :D
I have actually found the Quran the easiest to get quotes from and Islam the tradition I can answer easiest just because it is so different to what i already know i think. Its so weird how it works and hard to explain but true

Judaism I dont have much trouble in, although categorising everything into conservative, orthodox and progressive can get confusing. Maybe this is why christianity is my weakest? Because there are so many denominations you could cover (esp seeing as im a catholic/anglican and we have to learn about orthodox, uniting and pentecostals)

Anyway i would find it hard to do two as "marriage" i would get muddled up, its bad enough have to do 2 lots of sex ethics lol

No I totally get what you mean! I definitely think it is more clearly different - personally I feel my knowledge isn't as in depth and I'm hesitant to say the wrong thing :P But I'm sure you'll smash it!

Moderator Action: just fixed up a few grammatical errors (eg the wrong thing not the wrong think) nothing major :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 03:07:21 pm by studybuddy7777 »
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2016, 03:05:20 pm »
No I totally get what you mean! I definitely think it is more clearly different - personally I feel my knowledge isn't as in depth and I'm hesitant to say the wrong think   :P But I'm sure you smash it!

Firstly, congrats on 50 posts! Must be good to no longer be a newbie :P
Thanks! I havent sat my exam yet but hopefully I dont go blank! I can't ever think of quotes and references on the day!!

tahmina

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2016, 08:02:28 pm »
oh ohkaaaaaaay ahha ! I'm so confused tho if you got a question like this what would talk about !

From within ONE of the following areas, identify ONE ethical teaching 2 AND its origin.
• Bioethics
• Environmental ethics • Sexual ethics

How does the ethical teaching identified in part (a)(i) guide adherents in their daily living?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2016, 08:13:36 pm »
oh ohkaaaaaaay ahha ! I'm so confused tho if you got a question like this what would talk about !

From within ONE of the following areas, identify ONE ethical teaching 2 AND its origin.
• Bioethics
• Environmental ethics • Sexual ethics

How does the ethical teaching identified in part (a)(i) guide adherents in their daily living?

Hey Tahmina! So basically, the first bit would be: What is an ethical teaching in the given area and where did it come from? EG, the Christian teaching on abortion is blah, and this comes from blah (that second blah probably being a biblical reference). You are just presenting the teaching and the basis of that teaching.

The second bit is linked to the dynamic living religion stuff you learned in Year 11. How is this teaching applied in the everyday life of a Christian? Is it evident anywhere in day-to-day life? Is it re-enforced in any rituals/practices? How is the Christian's life guided/directed by the teaching you have described ;D

I hope this helps :)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2016, 08:20:54 pm »
That is completely dependent on the ethics that you do! However for this example I will be talking about Jewish Sex Ethics

The first one was a 2 marker was it not (2015 HSC?) so for 2 marks you just needed
The act of coitus interruptus, or anything that disrupts the natural path of semen to egg, is a Jewish teaching that originates from the Torah and Talmud. Any permanent sterilisation is considered wasting the seed and this is breaking jewish law as it is a mitzvah.

The second one i probably wont answer that well, but ill give it a shot:
Anything that disrupts the normal passage of semen to ova is regarded as coitus interruptus. This includes things such as the morning after pill, the rod, condoms, and a vasectomy/hysterectomy. Such things like this are prohibited under the Jewish Code. Furthermore, the wasting of the seed by such methods as masturbation is considered an abhorrent sin. This is effectively showed from the Torah (or Talmud?) which states "any hand that reaches below the navel shall be chopped off" and reminds adherents of the crime it is to perform masturbation. The Conservative and Progressive sects of Judaism may show more modern ways of interpreting the sacred texts than a traditional Orthodoxy would. These rules guide adherents in their daily living by dressing appropriately, not getting into sexual activity unless it is purely for reproductive purposes and ultimately who they marry. In conclusion, it is shown that the practice of coitus interruptus is entirely unacceptable for the Jewish population as it wastes the seed and potential life.

Hope this helps (i hope i have done a good enough example to actually show you how to structure it properly)
But basically first one is basically a teaching (NOT an issue) and where that teaching comes from (Bible, Quran, Torah etc)
Second one is HOW it affects jewish adherents in their day to day activities. Here you need a quote and (if possible) talk about different denominations/sects. That second last & last sentence answers the question nicely in my opinion

Thanks :D (elyse feel free to mark and criticise, made it up on the spot)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2016, 08:37:17 pm »
That is completely dependent on the ethics that you do! However for this example I will be talking about Jewish Sex Ethics

The first one was a 2 marker was it not (2015 HSC?) so for 2 marks you just needed
The act of coitus interruptus, or anything that disrupts the natural path of semen to egg, is a Jewish teaching that originates from the Torah and Talmud. Any permanent sterilisation is considered wasting the seed and this is breaking jewish law as it is a mitzvah.

I'd add a scriptural reference for safety, but 2 Marks ;D

The second one i probably wont answer that well, but ill give it a shot:
Anything that disrupts the normal passage of semen to ova is regarded as coitus interruptus. This includes things such as the morning after pill, the rod, condoms, and a vasectomy/hysterectomy. Such things like this are prohibited under the Jewish Code. Furthermore, the wasting of the seed by such methods as masturbation is considered an abhorrent sin. This is effectively showed from the Torah (or Talmud?) which states "any hand that reaches below the navel shall be chopped off" and reminds adherents of the crime it is to perform masturbation. The Conservative and Progressive sects of Judaism may show more modern ways of interpreting the sacred texts than a traditional Orthodoxy would. These rules guide adherents in their daily living by dressing appropriately, not getting into sexual activity unless it is purely for reproductive purposes and ultimately who they marry. In conclusion, it is shown that the practice of coitus interruptus is entirely unacceptable for the Jewish population as it wastes the seed and potential life.

You said it yourself, the final two sentences answer the question really really well, but the rest of it doesn't quite thread the impact on adherents aspect. Some slight rephrasing/restructuring to bring the adherent in more often (after every point you make), would benefit this response, kind of like adding the audience to English analysis ;)

That said, nicely done ;D

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2016, 08:41:21 pm »
Thanks for that Jamon!!
I technically did have a scripture reference in the first one just forgot to point it out "wasting the seed" and an act of coitus interruptus is a term

Thanks for the feedback on the second response though!

#legend

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2016, 09:05:17 pm »
Thanks for that Jamon!!
I technically did have a scripture reference in the first one just forgot to point it out "wasting the seed" and an act of coitus interruptus is a term

Thanks for the feedback on the second response though!

#legend

This might be completely irrelevant but just to elaborate with a scriptural basis (for jewish sexual ethics)

In Judaism, sex is seen as a mitzvot when performed in the correct context of a marriage with the ultimate purpose of replacing the mother and father with children. Jewish law therefore prohibits the use of methods that inhibit the achievement of childbirth for selfish reasons. This ethical teaching is derived from the scriptural principles outlined in the story of Onan (Genesis 38:7‑10), son of Judah, who “spilled his seed on the ground” rather than assisting in procreation, going against the mitzvot "Be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:28) and was duly punished by God. (with ethical teachings the main idea to reiterate is how they provide a model for living after each example - in judaism it generally links back to keeping the covenant).

(Then for 5+ markers the examiner often wants to see a variant and its specific impact) The Orthodox variant objects to physical forms of birth control such as condoms and diaphragms that “waste seed” as once more as this contradicts the ethical teachings set forth by God, compromising the initial covenant set out with Abraham. Further, this could cause financial struggle for those who cannot afford the birth control pill but wish to use contraception ie those who have already fulfilled the obligation to replace themselves with 2 children.
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2016, 07:01:31 am »

This might be completely irrelevant but just to elaborate with a scriptural basis (for jewish sexual ethics)

In Judaism, sex is seen as a mitzvot when performed in the correct context of a marriage with the ultimate purpose of replacing the mother and father with children. Jewish law therefore prohibits the use of methods that inhibit the achievement of childbirth for selfish reasons. This ethical teaching is derived from the scriptural principles outlined in the story of Onan (Genesis 38:7‑10), son of Judah, who “spilled his seed on the ground” rather than assisting in procreation, going against the mitzvot "Be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:28) and was duly punished by God. (with ethical teachings the main idea to reiterate is how they provide a model for living after each example - in judaism it generally links back to keeping the covenant).

(Then for 5+ markers the examiner often wants to see a variant and its specific impact) The Orthodox variant objects to physical forms of birth control such as condoms and diaphragms that “waste seed” as once more as this contradicts the ethical teachings set forth by God, compromising the initial covenant set out with Abraham. Further, this could cause financial struggle for those who cannot afford the birth control pill but wish to use contraception ie those who have already fulfilled the obligation to replace themselves with 2 children.

This is awesome. Not irrelevant at all :) (much better than my response lol, read these instead :D)

levendibigd

• Adventurer
  • School: CBHS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2016, 04:20:09 pm »
Hi there!

I was hoping someone could guide me through a band 6 essay structure (SOR 1). I have my SOR1 trials tomorrow and plan on doing Christianity for section 3. I was having a look at a section 3 question, (adherents within a religion express their beliefs through the performance of certain practices. These practices have significance for both the individual and the religious community. Q. Analyse the above statement, with reference for both the religious practice and a significant individual). How would I approach this question?

Thanks in advance.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2016, 05:33:59 pm »
Hi there!

I was hoping someone could guide me through a band 6 essay structure (SOR 1). I have my SOR1 trials tomorrow and plan on doing Christianity for section 3. I was having a look at a section 3 question, (adherents within a religion express their beliefs through the performance of certain practices. These practices have significance for both the individual and the religious community. Q. Analyse the above statement, with reference for both the religious practice and a significant individual). How would I approach this question?

Thanks in advance.

Hey!! In general, have a read of this article I wrote on structuring Band 6 SOR Essays! It might give you some ideas ;D

For that specific example, there is a few things you could do. You could apply a beliefs based structure (see above), you could do 2 paragraphs on person and 2 on practice (this would be the simplest). Maybe a paragraph for how the practice is significant for community, and another on how it is significant to the individual, repeat for the individual? Or, find some way of crafting an integrated response, but that would depend on what you've studied  ;D

Any structure will be fine as long as it makes sense, and vitally, that the significance aspect takes the main stage  ;D

Just a few ideas, take a read of that article and let me know what you think! ;D

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2016, 08:03:57 pm »
+1
Hey just a quick question on Christianity Bioethics

When does life begin? I know for Catholic it's at conception (and the idea of potential life), Orthodox is conception and Anglican is 10-14 days, but I'm not quite sure about the Uniting Church, I think it's at conception but someone else thinks it's 2 weeks.
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

Bparker

• Trailblazer
  • School: Marian
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2016, 08:44:44 pm »
Hi there!
I'm leaning towards doing my religion essay on Islam, however, if the question was based on all three aspects of the religion, would the main belief of Islam be submission to Allah? Then I would try to thread this belief through all the different aspects right?
I've been trying to take notes from Jamon's SOR essay guide, but am actually unclear on what the core belief of Islam would be - probably a good idea to know haha!

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2016, 08:58:30 pm »
+1
Hey just a quick question on Christianity Bioethics

When does life begin? I know for Catholic it's at conception (and the idea of potential life), Orthodox is conception and Anglican is 10-14 days, but I'm not quite sure about the Uniting Church, I think it's at conception but someone else thinks it's 2 weeks.

After doing a quick little bit of research I think Uniting Church believes life starts at conception (like Catholic & Orthodox) however in relating this to abortion it seems to get a bit tricky as each "denomination" of Uniting (Methodist, Presbyterian & Congregational) have slightly different takes on the whole thing...
Since you seem to have a solid idea about 3 other denominations you would definitely get away with not talking about the Uniting Church if you can't find any official kind of information  :)

Hi there!
I'm leaning towards doing my religion essay on Islam, however, if the question was based on all three aspects of the religion, would the main belief of Islam be submission to Allah? Then I would try to thread this belief through all the different aspects right?
I've been trying to take notes from Jamon's SOR essay guide, but am actually unclear on what the core belief of Islam would be - probably a good idea to know haha!

Hey Bparker!
Submission to Allah is DEFINITELY a core belief of Islam since:
(a) Everything in a Muslim's life is centred around Allah
(b) its the first of the five pillars
(c) 'Islam' literally means 'submission'

So depending on the question that sounds like an awesome starting point for your essay! And you're totally right in saying that each aspect should be related back to this.
e.g. The Hajj pilgrimage is another pillar of Islam and is all about physically leaving your home to travel to Mecca to dedicate time to praising Allah and paying homage to the foundational stories and beliefs of Islam.

It's so cool that you're finding Jamon's guide useful! Post back if you have any more questions  8)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

Bparker

• Trailblazer
  • School: Marian
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2016, 09:10:56 pm »
Hey Bparker!
Submission to Allah is DEFINITELY a core belief of Islam since:
(a) Everything in a Muslim's life is centred around Allah
(b) its the first of the five pillars
(c) 'Islam' literally means 'submission'

So depending on the question that sounds like an awesome starting point for your essay! And you're totally right in saying that each aspect should be related back to this.
e.g. The Hajj pilgrimage is another pillar of Islam and is all about physically leaving your home to travel to Mecca to dedicate time to praising Allah and paying homage to the foundational stories and beliefs of Islam.

It's so cool that you're finding Jamon's guide useful! Post back if you have any more questions  8)

I can't believe I didn't know that Islam meant submission haha! I'm doing A'isha Bakar, sexual ethics and Hajj. In terms of linking to submission to Allah, would I talk about how sexual ethics are derived from the Qur'an and the Hadith, and hence when practicing these ethics, adherents are submitting to Allah and his teachings? Whereas for A'isha would I talk about how her translation of part of the Hadith meant Allah's teachings were preserved, allowing adherents to live their life by morals and ethics as outlined in the Hadith? I'm not particularly sure how else I would link it to A'isha, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thankyou so much for the quick response!!