Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:39:27 pm

Author Topic: desperate, pls help!  (Read 1588 times)  Share 

ysoclueless

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: :(
  • School Grad Year: 2016
desperate, pls help!
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:32:13 pm »
+2
I'm in year 12 doing 3/4 English and I hate it with a passion
I am terrible at essay writing in exam conditions and know i can't improve even if i tried and my school does not offer any other english and i really don't know what to do
I've been told English Language is much easier and I've been through some past exams and it does look far better than English?
Is it a good idea to look into doing english language outside of school? Is it too late now? I can work extra hard
I want a considerably high atar and since english is the top subject i want to do well but i don't think i can, not like this :/
Pls help

FallingStar

• Forum Obsessive
  • Be yourself and be your best self.
  • Respect: +19
Re: desperate, pls help!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 11:57:45 am »
+2
Firstly, there is no such thing as an easy subject in VCE. A lot of work would have been loaded onto you, even from the so-called "easy subjects." I am not really sure if you can do English Language outside of school, as that depends on the policy of the school. You will need to check with your school first because, in the end, you will be doing your final exam at school. Is it too late? Well have you signed the VCAA form that detailed all of your subjects? If you have, it is likely to be too late as you may be fined of you change subjects.(I am not sure but this is what I heard).

And for English, your teacher should be happy to help, but bear in mind that s/he may be busy with 20 or so students asking for help. Also, you could get a tutor, which would also help you.

Triple choc fudge

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Glenvale
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 06:27:56 pm »
First thing that you can do is take a different perspective...EVERYONE can get better by trying...VCE is a lot of work but its only two years n your life and look at all the knowledge that you have!!! one tip that might help you with writing essays and this may be hard to start with but get heaps of example essay questions and do seven plans for each...slowly get faster till you can do an awesome plan in 5 min...by doing this once a week say... by exam time you will have a superb knowledge of the book and you will be able to do an awesome plan in 5 min...AWESOME PLANS MAKE AWESOME ESSAYS...also every minute that you put in gets you an extra mark!!! ;) GOOD LUCK YOU WILL DO AWESOME....!!!! :D

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 08:25:54 pm »
+1
I'm in year 12 doing 3/4 English and I hate it with a passion
I am terrible at essay writing in exam conditions and know i can't improve even if i tried and my school does not offer any other english and i really don't know what to do
I've been told English Language is much easier and I've been through some past exams and it does look far better than English?
Is it a good idea to look into doing english language outside of school? Is it too late now? I can work extra hard
I want a considerably high atar and since english is the top subject i want to do well but i don't think i can, not like this :/
Pls help
definitely too late to switch now.
id definitely try to get a tutor, read study guides etc. and write as much as you can !

how desperate are you?
i did a huge write up last year on what is essentially an "emergency how to get 40+ in english"
will take alot of work and i don't recommend it if you have any other options. (there are enough warnings in the text)

i didnt see this post when you first posted it but yeah if you are still concerned, give this a read: How I went from a 40% student, to a 40 raw student in 6 months