Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 06:38:45 pm

Author Topic: Possible extended responses in physics  (Read 5529 times)  Share 

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Possible extended responses in physics
« on: July 05, 2016, 10:10:09 am »
Hey guys

Just curious  to know but what are some of the possible extended responses they could put in prelim physics and HSC physics (HSC physics is a bit early for me lol)?

Thanks guys,

Conic curve

wyzard

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
Re: Possible extended responses in physics
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 10:41:28 pm »
Not too sure about HSC, but it is very unlikely for an extended response problem to appear in high school. I've never seen an extended response question appear in any VCE physics exam. Hope this eases your mind ;)

The most you'll get is a half to one page explanation; like how a transformer work or describe how the photoelectric effect demonstrates that light is a particle.
Graduated from high school in 2012 with atar of 99.55.

Currently doing MSc in Physics at UoM researching on Quantum Computers.

Offering group lessons for Unit 3/4 VCE Methods and Physics for 2017!

Selling awesome and in-depth study notes for Unit 3 Physics, PM me if interested! :D

Writer/Tutor at (Nerd of Passion)!
Connect with me on Facebook!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 10:43:54 pm »
Not too sure about HSC, but it is very unlikely for an extended response problem to appear in high school. I've never seen an extended response question appear in any VCE physics exam. Hope this eases your mind ;)

The most you'll get is a half to one page explanation; like how a transformer work or describe how the photoelectric effect demonstrates that light is a particle.

But yeah definitely nothing more than 8 marks. (Although I got lost in the HSC exam last year and bombed Q30 with two or so pages.)

Edit: WOAH wrong thread
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:47:23 pm by RuiAce »

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 07:00:51 pm »
I know for a fact they could ask you extended response questions about AM and FM and their pros and cons and safety devices as well as the history of electricity and how certain things (e.g. circuit breakers) have helped society but does anyone else here have an idea of what they could ask you in prelim physics?

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 07:39:35 pm »
I know for a fact they could ask you extended response questions about AM and FM and their pros and cons and safety devices as well as the history of electricity and how certain things (e.g. circuit breakers) have helped society but does anyone else here have an idea of what they could ask you in prelim physics?

Thanks

Remember that even those "extended responses" can still be answered in extended dot point. Don't treat them the same as an extended response in, say, Legal Studies, science ones are all about splurging the content  ;D

I remember getting one about the various factors involved in electrocutions, and the consequences for individuals (and how they vary with the type/magnitude of electric shock).  The "Moving About" topic will have the ones on safety mechanisms in vehicles.

Besides that, you could be asked to explain pretty much anything. Be sure you know your whole syllabus really well!!  ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 07:51:44 pm »
Remember that even those "extended responses" can still be answered in extended dot point. Don't treat them the same as an extended response in, say, Legal Studies, science ones are all about splurging the content  ;D

I remember getting one about the various factors involved in electrocutions, and the consequences for individuals (and how they vary with the type/magnitude of electric shock).  The "Moving About" topic will have the ones on safety mechanisms in vehicles.

Besides that, you could be asked to explain pretty much anything. Be sure you know your whole syllabus really well!!  ;D

So Jamon, basically treat every dotpoint in the syllabus to be a possible extended response question?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 07:56:41 pm »
+1
So Jamon, basically treat every dotpoint in the syllabus to be a possible extended response question?

Always! Better safe than sorry, though you can take dot points that contain Discuss, Explain, or Analyse (or similar) as more probable than the others  ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 08:07:39 pm »
Always! Better safe than sorry, though you can take dot points that contain Discuss, Explain, or Analyse (or similar) as more probable than the others  ;D

Then we'd have to know way too much information which can be kinda hard at times. So basically I need to know what it is (which gives me a band 1-3) and I have to explain why (which gives me a band 5)

So for this response (describe the energy transformations required in one of the following: mobile phone) I sat sound to energy to radio to electrical to sound again, right? But this is more like a band 2 response because it shows basic understanding in the concept of energy transformations

What if I included things about "the law of conservation of energy"?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 08:22:21 pm »
Then we'd have to know way too much information which can be kinda hard at times. So basically I need to know what it is (which gives me a band 1-3) and I have to explain why (which gives me a band 5)

So for this response (describe the energy transformations required in one of the following: mobile phone) I sat sound to energy to radio to electrical to sound again, right? But this is more like a band 2 response because it shows basic understanding in the concept of energy transformations

What if I included things about "the law of conservation of energy"?

A Band 6 student knows how to respond to the specific verb put in front of them. For example, your question is describe, so I'd respond like this:

Question: Describe the energy transformations required in a mobile phone.

Mobile phones require several energy transformations for correct operation.

- A microphone converts mechanical sound energy into electrical energy in internal circuitry
- This electrical energy is converted to electromagnetic energy in the form of radio waves by an internal transmitter
- After several stages of transmission, the radio waves are converted to electrical energy by a receiver in the other mobile phone
- This electrical energy is converted to kinetic energy in a speaker

This is a description, not much else would be required (The Law of Conservation of Energy would be more applicable in an Explain question)  :D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 08:25:30 pm »
A Band 6 student knows how to respond to the specific verb put in front of them. For example, your question is describe, so I'd respond like this:

Question: Describe the energy transformations required in a mobile phone.

Mobile phones require several energy transformations for correct operation.

- A microphone converts mechanical sound energy into electrical energy in internal circuitry
- This electrical energy is converted to electromagnetic energy in the form of radio waves by an internal transmitter
- After several stages of transmission, the radio waves are converted to electrical energy by a receiver in the other mobile phone
- This electrical energy is converted to kinetic energy in a speaker

This is a description, not much else would be required (The Law of Conservation of Energy would be more applicable in an Explain question)  :D

Oh okay thanks. Is it possible that they'll ask a curveball question in physics based on pollution and such where rather than using the information in the syllabus, you'll be required to use your logic and understanding as well as the syllabus to answer the question?

I read this in a study guide

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 08:30:04 pm »
Oh okay thanks. Is it possible that they'll ask a curveball question in physics based on pollution and such where rather than using the information in the syllabus, you'll be required to use your logic and understanding as well as the syllabus to answer the question?

I read this in a study guide

Very possible that they'll present a new (but related) situation as a bit of a "curveball," requiring some logic and solid knowledge of physics principle  ;D all the more reason to understand everything in your syllabus!  ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 08:32:36 pm »
Very possible that they'll present a new (but related) situation as a bit of a "curveball," requiring some logic and solid knowledge of physics principle  ;D all the more reason to understand everything in your syllabus!  ;D

But is it possible they'll ask it on pollution to the environment and such because in this case, I don't think you can rely on the syllabus dot points in isolation but you'll need to rely on the prescribed focus areas (which a lot of students seem to neglect)?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 09:11:47 pm »
But is it possible they'll ask it on pollution to the environment and such because in this case, I don't think you can rely on the syllabus dot points in isolation but you'll need to rely on the prescribed focus areas (which a lot of students seem to neglect)?

I don't remember pollution being related to anything in the preliminary Physics syllabus. For it to be asked, it would have to be linked to a dot point, what dot point do you think it relates to?  :)

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 09:15:51 pm »
I don't remember pollution being related to anything in the preliminary Physics syllabus. For it to be asked, it would have to be linked to a dot point, what dot point do you think it relates to?  :)

I think it was int the HSC. If pollution to the environment were to be asked in prelim, it would most likely be asked in electrical energy in the home

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 09:23:18 pm »
I think it was int the HSC. If pollution to the environment were to be asked in prelim, it would most likely be asked in electrical energy in the home

They won't ask something related to the HSC in Prelim! However, just checked the syllabus a little more closely, and you are right it could indeed pop up for this dot point:

assess some of the impacts of changes in, and increased access to, sources of energy for a community