Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 30, 2024, 02:31:59 am

Author Topic: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions  (Read 130574 times)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2017, 04:59:48 pm »
+3
If i might make a suggestion to the related texts, one that i found that was quite interesting is Ronald Regens seech regarding the NASA space shuttle "challenger" in 1986. It was his speech addressing the nation following the shuttles explosion 73 seconds after take off. He sits there, lamenting the great quest the astronauts undertook and talks about how it is a human instinct to discover and push the boundaries of what we know which make it not a bad related text for discovery. It has some good themes like bravery in face of the unknown as well.
I don't know if it it'll actually be of any use to anyone, but feel free to add it. If it helps just one person then i'll be happy! I found it pretty good because its only 4 minutes long which is really good if you have an exam coming up soon and you still don't have a related text.
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2017, 11:21:57 pm »
If i might make a suggestion to the related texts, one that i found that was quite interesting is Ronald Regens seech regarding the NASA space shuttle "challenger" in 1986. It was his speech addressing the nation following the shuttles explosion 73 seconds after take off. He sits there, lamenting the great quest the astronauts undertook and talks about how it is a human instinct to discover and push the boundaries of what we know which make it not a bad related text for discovery. It has some good themes like bravery in face of the unknown as well.
I don't know if it it'll actually be of any use to anyone, but feel free to add it. If it helps just one person then i'll be happy! I found it pretty good because its only 4 minutes long which is really good if you have an exam coming up soon and you still don't have a related text.

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like an awesome suggestion - Do you have a particular recording you accessed on YouTube or a transcript you used? Would love to add it to the list ;D

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2017, 04:01:40 pm »
+3
Welcome to the forums! Sounds like an awesome suggestion - Do you have a particular recording you accessed on YouTube or a transcript you used? Would love to add it to the list ;D

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa7icmqgsow
I also accessed a copy of the transcipt: http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/speech-on-the-challenger-disaster/
This transcript also included a copy of Ronald Regens speech that he made three days later at the memorial service for the seven astronaughts. I also found this helped
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

Annie657

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2017, 06:12:24 pm »

Omg I used this in my hsc last week! So easy to use :)
2017 HSC: Adv English | Mathematics | Maths Ext 1 | Chemistry | Biology | Geography |

2018-2022: MBBS at Western Sydney University :)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2017, 06:27:34 pm »
Do you reckon you could send me a copy of your notes regarding it?? Just for me to use to compare to my own
Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2017, 07:11:40 pm »
+2

Or better yet, click the link in my signature and pop them into the Notes section for everyone to benefit from! ;D

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2017, 09:28:36 am »
Helloo
I was directed here the other day from the std english thread but i couldn't see any non-fiction texts here?? Can anyone make some suggestions?
It's for a folio task and I just need help choosing the right ones...

Thanks heaps!!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2017, 09:30:18 am »
Helloo
I was directed here the other day from the std english thread but i couldn't see any non-fiction texts here?? Can anyone make some suggestions?
It's for a folio task and I just need help choosing the right ones...

Thanks heaps!!!

You've got some documentaries, biographies, essays and such in the list up there, those are non-fiction! :)

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2017, 09:48:21 am »
+1
True- duh!!!

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #99 on: October 30, 2017, 03:57:59 pm »
Do you reckon you could send me a copy of your notes regarding it?? Just for me to use to compare to my own
Thanks!
Or better yet, click the link in my signature and pop them into the Notes section for everyone to benefit from! ;D
I was wondering where i could access these notes??
Not just these ones specifically, but all the study notes on offer for everything

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2017, 05:14:57 pm »
I was wondering where i could access these notes??
Not just these ones specifically, but all the study notes on offer for everything

You can search the database by clicking on the Notes tab, top left if you are looking at the site on the website ;D

rtmukheibir18

• Adventurer
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2017, 11:18:21 am »
Hi!
I'm currently in the process of choosing ORTs for Module 1, with an forum style assessment coming up soon.
My prescribed text is The Tempest, and these are my ideas for ORTS:
o   Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (novel)
o   The Messenger (novel)
o   Her (film)
o   Juno (film)
o   Jasper Jones (novel)
•   Infinitely Polar Bear (film)

I'm just very unsure which would link best with the prescribed text. I had settled on Extremely Loud and Incredibly close but I'm a little concerned about how much it contains, and if it's relatable at all to the prescribed?
I also really like Her, but am unsure if that's a good idea for a ORT.

Thanks!

(Sidenote: I'm also doing Ext. 1. for English, and my module for that is After the Bomb, so having a text which covers both of those might be a big help!)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2017, 04:09:39 pm »
Hi!
I'm currently in the process of choosing ORTs for Module 1, with an forum style assessment coming up soon.
o   Her (film)
o   Juno (film)
o   Jasper Jones (novel)

I'm just very unsure which would link best with the prescribed text. I had settled on Extremely Loud and Incredibly close but I'm a little concerned about how much it contains, and if it's relatable at all to the prescribed?

Thanks!

(Sidenote: I'm also doing Ext. 1. for English, and my module for that is After the Bomb, so having a text which covers both of those might be a big help!)
Look, im not going to be able to tell you which one is the best to use. But my advice is to choose something that you will enjoy studying and reading/watching multiple times. Doing something you don't like will ultimately impact your ability to write a good response

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2017, 05:49:48 pm »
Hi!
o   Her (film)
o   Juno (film)
o   Jasper Jones (novel)

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums! Some great advice above - This guide might be helpful to help you choose! ;D

rtmukheibir18

• Adventurer
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2017, 06:01:20 pm »
Look, im not going to be able to tell you which one is the best to use. But my advice is to choose something that you will enjoy studying and reading/watching multiple times. Doing something you don't like will ultimately impact your ability to write a good response

Thanks so much!
Welcome to the forums! Some great advice above - This guide might be helpful to help you choose! ;D

this looks really good! thanks!