Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 02:34:50 am

Author Topic: Getting or Not Getting into Law  (Read 10794 times)  Share 

anniez

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Getting or Not Getting into Law
« on: November 30, 2016, 08:44:02 pm »
Hi everyone,
Could someone please help me with questions regarding law and the required atar? Im probably not going to get the required atar but I know i want to do it eventually :/

1.Has anyone ever been accepted into law even though their atar was lower than the published required atar? (excluding any schemes)
If so when and which uni?

2.is it possible that after the atar is released unis would lower or raise the cut off? I want to get into ANU but this year is the first year that the atar is 98 (meaning that you can't use bonus points to get into law at ANU) so I know i dont have a chance to get in straight away at ANU.

3.Say if i can't do law during first year. What are the alternate pathways to law at USYD and UNSW?

Thanks first

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Getting or Not Getting into Law
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 08:49:00 pm »
+1
1. Of course. It's called getting bonus points from EAS or Duke of Ed or etc. Although at UNSW the cut-off is no longer strictly 99.70 with the introduction of the LAT.

3. UNSW promises that every year, at least 100 students will be able to IPT (internal program transfer) into law. The more competitive your WAM (weighted average mark, i.e. your performance) at uni is, the greater the likelihood of transferring in.

Remember that at both USyd and UNSW, law is always taken as combined law. That is, you must do it as a double degree; you can't do it by itself.

Jakeybaby

• Trendsetter
  • Grad Year: 2016
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:50:17 pm »
+1
Here in SA, I understand that UoA offer a scheme for some students:
 If you're the highest scoring student in your school (ATAR above 90), then you are automatically accepted into Law if it was one of your preferences (cut-off is usually 95). There's always ways around it if you don't get your required ATAR too, which I'm sure that you have probably heard before.
2016 ATAR: 98.60

2020: Bachelor of Finance @ University of Adelaide

Recipient of the 2017 University of Adelaide Principals' Scholarship

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 01:38:36 am »
Here in SA, I understand that UoA offer a scheme for some students:
 If you're the highest scoring student in your school (ATAR above 90), then you are automatically accepted into Law if it was one of your preferences (cut-off is usually 95). There's always ways around it if you don't get your required ATAR too, which I'm sure that you have probably heard before.

University of Sydney has a similar scheme! But there are conditions to what courses you are offered, it only started this year so I don't think too much is known yet :)

tim.wells

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 05:01:47 pm »
+3
Hi everyone,
Could someone please help me with questions regarding law and the required atar? Im probably not going to get the required atar but I know i want to do it eventually :/

1.Has anyone ever been accepted into law even though their atar was lower than the published required atar? (excluding any schemes)
If so when and which uni?

2.is it possible that after the atar is released unis would lower or raise the cut off? I want to get into ANU but this year is the first year that the atar is 98 (meaning that you can't use bonus points to get into law at ANU) so I know i dont have a chance to get in straight away at ANU.

3.Say if i can't do law during first year. What are the alternate pathways to law at USYD and UNSW?

Thanks first

1. I study law at Monash University in Victoria, whilst I got over the required ATAR, I do know a lot of people in my course who didn't get the required 98. In my year (2013) despite the cutoff being 98, 96 was sufficient to be accepted into law. Another positive is that law schools seem to be increasing their intake of law students every year, meaning the entry requirements are a little less strict.

2. Yes, universities can lower or raise the cut-off required. The 'clearly-in' ATAR was what was accepted last year and is only an indication of what will happen this year — it is dictated by demand for the spots available.

3. The most popular alternate method for getting into law is by internal transfer. I know of people who have gotten into Arts with ATARs of 85 and kept their WAM above 75 in their first year to be transferred into an Arts/Law double degree, so it is certainly very achievable. Also, even though this method means a transferee won't be studying law as soon as they'd like, it doesn't mean their degree is any longer, as they just get through their Arts degree faster.

The bottom line is, if you don't get the ATAR you'd hoped for, don't despair. If you work hard enough, in a year's time you will almost certainly be studying law!!
Tim Wells

Law undergrad at Monash University

ATAR- 99.20
English Tutor - English (48), Literature (47), Australian History (47), Economics (45), Legal Studies (38), Maths Methods (31)

Get more answers for your questions as well as weekly tips and blog posts, from my friends and I at:

HSC - http://bit.ly/HSChelp
VCE - http://bit.ly/VCEhelp

si2136

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 04:39:23 pm »
University of Sydney has a similar scheme! But there are conditions to what courses you are offered, it only started this year so I don't think too much is known yet :)

That sounds interesting. Where did you find this information from? Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 06:33:10 pm »
+1
That sounds interesting. Where did you find this information from? Thanks!

Welcome to the forums! Here's a bit of an article on it (click here), there are other links in there for more info I believe ;D

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 08:44:13 pm »
Stupid question but for the UAC application, does alternative entry scheme also include EAS?

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 08:57:18 pm »
+3
Stupid question but for the UAC application, does alternative entry scheme also include EAS?

It doesn't include EAS. If you click YES, it shows you options for the eligible schemes.

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 07:41:18 pm »
ahhhh sweet thank you!!

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 11:29:35 pm »
If I don’t get into a bachelor of law/journalism at UTS OR Macquarie, would I be better off just doing journalism at one of those two and getting good grades and transferring, or going to WSU and doing the Law and journalism course there
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 08:22:39 pm »
^same
Is it preferable to do a science degree at one of the more prestigious uni's like USYD and UNSW and then doing post grad law there OR
just doing a double degree of law/science at UOW/UWS/Macquarie Uni (most probably the only uni's my atar will allow me entry into)

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 12:43:55 pm »
+3
^same
Is it preferable to do a science degree at one of the more prestigious uni's like USYD and UNSW and then doing post grad law there OR
just doing a double degree of law/science at UOW/UWS/Macquarie Uni (most probably the only uni's my atar will allow me entry into)

Hey there,

Regarding law school, I would highly consider doing your research and finding which uni and law/science faculties suit you personally. you might not like the environment of USYD or UNSW; prestige should not be the motivating factor when choosing. That being said, if you did want to do your degree at USYD or UNSW. I would highly consider starting your science degree at one of those and then internally transferring. The cut off is usually around a distinction (dont quote me on this) which is incredibly easier to achieve than it is to get the highly inflated atar of 99 whatever. Also doing an internal transfer gives you that year to test the waters of the uni and your science degree so you know if you actually want to transfer.

There are many other things for you to consider if you do a post grad degree - such as the finances, the course load of having full time law as opposed to a mix of science and law. Etc. definitely have a look at your different options and know that there are many other entry pathways into law than just the first round offer and atar.

Let me know if you have any other questions; there are heaps of people on here who are happy and willing to help you out here :D
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 01:34:05 pm »
Hey there,

Regarding law school, I would highly consider doing your research and finding which uni and law/science faculties suit you personally. you might not like the environment of USYD or UNSW; prestige should not be the motivating factor when choosing. That being said, if you did want to do your degree at USYD or UNSW. I would highly consider starting your science degree at one of those and then internally transferring. The cut off is usually around a distinction (dont quote me on this) which is incredibly easier to achieve than it is to get the highly inflated atar of 99 whatever. Also doing an internal transfer gives you that year to test the waters of the uni and your science degree so you know if you actually want to transfer.

There are many other things for you to consider if you do a post grad degree - such as the finances, the course load of having full time law as opposed to a mix of science and law. Etc. definitely have a look at your different options and know that there are many other entry pathways into law than just the first round offer and atar.

Let me know if you have any other questions; there are heaps of people on here who are happy and willing to help you out here :D

Hey, just wondering about my situation

I am wanting to do a law/journalism type double degree, with my first preference at UTS and second at maquarie. If I am unable to enter either course, would I be better off going to western sydney uni to do the double degree there, or go to either macquaire or uts and begin with just journalism?
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

sidzeman

• Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 02:08:04 pm »
Hey there,

I hadn't considered doing a science degree at USYD and then doing an internal transfer - I suppose I'm just worried about the case where my performance in the degree is not enough to guarantee me a transfer (especially since transfers to law will also be incredibly competitive), and then I'll have wasted my time.
Is there any reason you place doing an internal transfer rather than a transfer from another uni?