Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 05:26:41 am

Author Topic: Advice on managing two majors  (Read 5767 times)

Ellen310

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Advice on managing two majors
« on: February 19, 2017, 07:27:16 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in year 12 and as part of my 11 units, I do History extension and Society and Culture - both subjects which involve major works. The PIP for society is a *roughly* 5000 word report and History extension is a 2500 word essay (which doesn't seem too intense on first look, however it involves a heck of a lot of research). I made this post to reach out to anyone who either a) does both of these subjects or b) does subjects that require 2 or more majors, to try and get some tips and advice on how you balance your time to consistently work on these majors, as well as study for other subjects. I have mid year exams in a few weeks and I'm really feeling the pressure in terms of trying to balance these majors as well as prepare for exams and manage assessments.

I have contemplated dropping history extension, which would bring me to 10 units however I'm on the fence - it would alleviate a lot of pressure and as it's not a subject I absolutely love, I feel it wouldn't be a huge loss. However the thought of only doing 10 units and having no backup options does scare me a little.

Thank you! :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Advice on managing two majors
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:08:23 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in year 12 and as part of my 11 units, I do History extension and Society and Culture - both subjects which involve major works. The PIP for society is a *roughly* 5000 word report and History extension is a 2500 word essay (which doesn't seem too intense on first look, however it involves a heck of a lot of research). I made this post to reach out to anyone who either a) does both of these subjects or b) does subjects that require 2 or more majors, to try and get some tips and advice on how you balance your time to consistently work on these majors, as well as study for other subjects. I have mid year exams in a few weeks and I'm really feeling the pressure in terms of trying to balance these majors as well as prepare for exams and manage assessments.

I have contemplated dropping history extension, which would bring me to 10 units however I'm on the fence - it would alleviate a lot of pressure and as it's not a subject I absolutely love, I feel it wouldn't be a huge loss. However the thought of only doing 10 units and having no backup options does scare me a little.

Thank you! :)

Hey! I studied two major works last year for history extension and drama (and a girl in my history extension class also studied SAC). It is definitely possible to manage two major works, but it does require quite a bit of discipline to make sure that you are consistently meeting the checkpoints, while also not neglecting your other subjects. Imo, the majority of your focus should be directed towards your PIP, as unlike history extension that is externally marked. This means that your actual raw mark is very important to your final results, whereas in extension doing well in the major work is only important in regards to putting you in the best internal rank position possible (and as HIX classes are usually quite small, this becomes less of an issue). In regards to managing this during exam periods, I defs relaxed on my majors during half yearlies and trials, but that was aided by the fact that my teachers were gems and accommodated for this temporary change in study pattern, and made sure not to schedule check in's around them.

In regards to wanting to drop history extension... hmm. Now I loved the subject, and I rate it very highly, however the fact that you are not enjoying it currently does concern me, as it is defs a subject that requires a lot of passion (imo) and drive, due to the high amount of outside class work that is required in regards to readings and study (not only for the major work, but also for the case studies). If you're not passionate about the subject you are going to struggle to get through 20-30 pages of the crucial historiography readings that you need to satisfy in order to make the most of your marks. I understand why you want to keep that safety net, it was definitely useful for me as my economics marks were a lot weaker than my other subjects, so I was glad that it wasn't included. However doing 10 has been proven to be beneficial for many students, as it allowed them more time to work on their other subjects, thus bumping up their marks and improving their atar! For example, the girl that got the highest atar at my school last year (98+) only did 10 units. The amount of work required for history extension essentially amounts to a two unit course, so if you feel like you need that time for other subjects and you still aren't vibing with the content, I would definitely consider dropping history extension.

I hope this helps!

Susie
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:42:21 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:40:17 pm »
Also, if you need people to do your PIP survey, feel free to post it here and we can do your survey for you :)

Mirroring Susie: if you don't love a subject, you might start to resent it as the pressure gets more intense. Although you don't mind it now, honestly ask yourself how you predict your attitude towards it will be when you are 10 weeks from now and it's getting tougher to juggle. You don't want to be resenting a subject, because it'll sit on the back burner and simmer into a disaster because you don't enjoy it. This will give you all kinds of unnecessary stress.  But, if you think you can stick to being disciplined and on top of it all, you avoid all of the above stress and can continue juggling two majors, which is a winning situation! Be honest with yourself about how you think you'll be handling it all ten weeks from now, and then five weeks after that, and after that. Map out when different things are due so there's no surprises when things get intense!

Good luck :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:59:28 pm »
Hey Ellen! To throw in to the answers above, in my HSC I balanced two full length compositions and a performance for Music - One of the reasons why I HATE that people think Music is a bludge, because depending on electives, it can be seriously hardcore :P

My one biggest piece of advice is to completely ignore major works in the few weeks leading up to a big exam block. The fact is, you have so much happening, that in those few weeks or even a month you aren't going to be able to work productively on anything but study (at least, I never could, ahaha!). Anyway, what I'm saying is don't feel bad if your major works get left by the wayside before half yearly exams and before Trials. That's natural, and probably a wise move.

Try to put aside a set few hours every week to work on each major work. Two hours for one, two hours for the other. The important thing is to keep moving! :)

It sounds like you could benefit from dropping Extension History, especially if you aren't enjoying it - Don't let only doing 10 units scare you! Heaps of people stick with 10, and heaps of people do really well with those 10 units! It's all about what will make you the most productive/effective person you can be in the coming months - And if that means dropping a subject you don't really like, then you should do that! As long as you don't drop something you like - That would be a waste :) :) :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 09:09:33 pm »
+2
Hey Ellen! To throw in to the answers above, in my HSC I balanced two full length compositions and a performance for Music - One of the reasons why I HATE that people think Music is a bludge, because depending on electives, it can be seriously hardcore :P
Off topic but nothing makes my blood boil more than the "[insert creative subject here] is a bludge" belief that goes round. Drama was by far the most intensive subject I did. The amount of people that dropped the subject after they realised how difficult it was was insane - almost a third of the class. And it doesn't help the scaling of the subjects that a bunch of people who do them aren't willing to put in the required effort. The amount of work I saw my friends do for drama, music, visual arts and D&T was intense - kills me those subjects don't get the recognition they deserve (even by bostes). Okay rant over.

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 09:14:48 pm »
+1
The amount of work I saw my friends do for drama, music, visual arts and D&T was intense - kills me those subjects don't get the recognition they deserve (even by bostes).

(even by bostes)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 09:21:24 pm »
(even by bostes)

apparently drama is holding on to being a subject by a thread  :'( - was only created after a bunch of english teachers decided enough's enough and petitioned for a split (drama used to be included under english for those who were unaware)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 09:39:12 pm »
+2

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 09:42:38 pm »
(even by bostesNESA)

never. i refuse to accept this change (in my drama group project we actually made fun of how they constantly change their name - foreshadowing).

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:43:39 pm »
+1
apparently drama is holding on to being a subject by a thread  :'( - was only created after a bunch of english teachers decided enough's enough and petitioned for a split (drama used to be included under english for those who were unaware)

I had no idea it used to be a part of English. Although as you say it, it makes a lot of sense. The drama teacher at my High School when I started was also a strong English teacher. Such a shame!

Ellen310

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 10:51:46 pm »
+1
Thank you all so much for that advice! It is comforting hearing other people's experiences on how they juggled heavy workloads, so I'll definitely take everything you guys have said on board and weigh up if I should keep extension history - it is a subject I do enjoy for the most part, as I love the freedom and room for analysis/interpretation it provides. Plus my teacher and class are awesome and I'm really passionate about my major topic, it's just it is a time consuming subject and there are aspects of the course that don't engage me as much.

And yes, I totally agree with you about art, drama, music etc   subjects not getting proper recognition! I feel there's a great emphasis placed on the sciences and extension maths subject (rightly so as they are very difficult subjects) yet I feel the more creative subjects, which have pretty tough majors and are demanding in their own right, should also be noticed. :'(

Anyways, thank you all once again for the advice, I really appreciate it! :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 11:08:01 pm »
+1
Thank you all so much for that advice! It is comforting hearing other people's experiences on how they juggled heavy workloads, so I'll definitely take everything you guys have said on board and weigh up if I should keep extension history - it is a subject I do enjoy for the most part, as I love the freedom and room for analysis/interpretation it provides. Plus my teacher and class are awesome and I'm really passionate about my major topic, it's just it is a time consuming subject and there are aspects of the course that don't engage me as much.
If you are enjoying the subject right now defs stick around for a bit longer and see how you manage with the workload - especially if you're passionate about your topic for your major work - a huge plus! If you do decide to stay feel free to ask any and all questions here Extension History :) Super interested to hear what your major work is about!  ;D

miss_demeanour

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 10:20:55 pm »
+1
I do both Society and Culture and Extension History, both of which are subjects I enjoy immensely.

Following the distribution of our Extension History assessment results, seven out of fifteen people dropped the class due to their (presumably) bad marks. This leaves me ranked poorly amongst the best students.

I'm persisting due not only to my vestigal passion for this unit, and my need for a safety net, but my hope that maybe, just maybe, I will be able to ascend the ranks and land somewhere up the top.

Each major work poses a looming threat to my sanity, as they are both research based, a field of which I am dubious in my ability to thoroughly achieve. I prefer to write without hindrance or disruptions from other sources, and no, don't ask; I haven't a clue what's wrong with me either.

How many people do either of these subjects at your school? How well are they faring?
How are you finding Society and Culture so far?

Anyway, good luck for your major works! Submit your questionnaire on the PIP thread (if any). I will definitely answer it since I frequent that thread out of empathy for my fellow Society and Culture students.

:)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 10:34:56 pm »
+1
I do both Society and Culture and Extension History, both of which are subjects I enjoy immensely.

Following the distribution of our Extension History assessment results, seven out of fifteen people dropped the class due to their (presumably) bad marks. This leaves me ranked poorly amongst the best students.

I'm persisting due not only to my vestigal passion for this unit, and my need for a safety net, but my hope that maybe, just maybe, I will be able to ascend the ranks and land somewhere up the top.

Each major work poses a looming threat to my sanity, as they are both research based, a field of which I am dubious in my ability to thoroughly achieve. I prefer to write without hindrance or disruptions from other sources, and no, don't ask; I haven't a clue what's wrong with me either.

How many people do either of these subjects at your school? How well are they faring?
How are you finding Society and Culture so far?

Anyway, good luck for your major works! Submit your questionnaire on the PIP thread (if any). I will definitely answer it since I frequent that thread out of empathy for my fellow Society and Culture students.

:)

You are awesome miss_demeanour - Good on you for persisting, I am sure you will get there!! Hard work always rewards :) :) :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 10:41:34 pm »
+1

The importance of ranks diminishes as the size of a class shrinks so don't worry to much :) Think of it this way, say that you had a class of 4 (the size of my extension history class haha) and the top mark is 49/50 and the lowest mark is 47/50 - even though technically the person who got 47/50 came last, the relative difference between them and first will mean that they still can definitely (and will likely!) do really well! It's better to be last but only 2 marks behind first than 2nd but 10 marks if that makes sense. Defs not trying to discourage your goals of pushing higher and I'm sure that you'll be able to do it given how dedicated and passionate you seem to be - just make sure you don't stress yourself out over it :)

If you ever need anything feel free to let us know! More than happy to help safe guard your sanity over the next few months  ;)