Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 27, 2024, 09:58:03 am

Author Topic: Communal University Journey Journal  (Read 149236 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: University Journey Journal
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2017, 05:22:14 pm »
An oral presentation (due tomorrow- just need to chuck in some graphics, nobody likes just text :p) and essay on epilepsy and the antiepileptic drug valproate, as well as a "philosophy of science" one where I have to make a scientific method and use it to derive meaning from some research from a MIPS (Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences) researcher. :)

I'm just glad I have nothing due next Wednesday. 8)
that'd make for a hectic 18th aha

Waheeeeyyy are you pumped for your 18th? Don't think that small text adequately hides comments hahaha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2017, 05:25:52 pm »
+1
Waheeeeyyy are you pumped for your 18th? Don't think that small text adequately hides comments hahaha.
Tbh I don't see the big fuss.

Just wanting this week to be over already (it is the 2nd most contact-hour heavy week I've had all sem haha)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2017, 05:32:15 pm »
+1
It's coming down to the crunch over here. Month of April will be nasty. Lots of assessments, a few exams (not something I do at UTS...). Some of my courses are ending this month so all of the end-of-semester note-tidying (more hyphens, please?) has begun. They do terms within semesters here, so I'm in frantic study time for the month...

But I get to do a presentation (A HALF HOUR PRESENTATION - BY MYSELF) on anything about Chinese culture. I can do it on anything at all, as long as I identify a powerful class and an oppressed class. I think I'm going to do it on cultural appropriation of Chinese culture in Western Society, and how reverse-cultural appropriation doesn't really work, it's just a product of imperialism. Super preliminary thoughts, but I'm really excited to get researching. It's a masters subject, so I don't really have any clue what the standards of assessment are like but I'm feeling keen right now nonetheless.

In other news...my italian language teacher teaches entirely in Italian. Really. Difficult. Considering. I'm. A. Beginner. I'm working on prepositions at the moment and want to cry most the time but I spend about 10 hours a week outside of the class studying intensively for it, as well as just organic use of italian. So, fingers crossed...
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2017, 05:35:52 pm »
Tbh I don't see the big fuss.

Just wanting this week to be over already (it is the 2nd most contact-hour heavy week I've had all sem haha)

Haha yeah, I don't really get the fuss, either. On my 18th, I... did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary lol.

It's coming down to the crunch over here. Month of April will be nasty. Lots of assessments, a few exams (not something I do at UTS...). Some of my courses are ending this month so all of the end-of-semester note-tidying (more hyphens, please?) has begun. They do terms within semesters here, so I'm in frantic study time for the month...

But I get to do a presentation (A HALF HOUR PRESENTATION - BY MYSELF) on anything about Chinese culture. I can do it on anything at all, as long as I identify a powerful class and an oppressed class. I think I'm going to do it on cultural appropriation of Chinese culture in Western Society, and how reverse-cultural appropriation doesn't really work, it's just a product of imperialism. Super preliminary thoughts, but I'm really excited to get researching. It's a masters subject, so I don't really have any clue what the standards of assessment are like but I'm feeling keen right now nonetheless.

In other news...my italian language teacher teaches entirely in Italian. Really. Difficult. Considering. I'm. A. Beginner. I'm working on prepositions at the moment and want to cry most the time but I spend about 10 hours a week outside of the class studying intensively for it, as well as just organic use of italian. So, fingers crossed...

Really interesting! What's the biggest difference between uni at the moment and uni at UTS, do you think? :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2017, 06:21:16 pm »
+3
Really interesting! What's the biggest difference between uni at the moment and uni at UTS, do you think? :)

A few things:

-This University works in terms within semesters.
-Everyone does a Bachelor here, and majority of students do a Masters as well. Your Bachelor graduation is quite small, but your Masters graduation is really huge. It's more or less expected you'll do a masters, no matter what your Bachelor is.
-There's two schools here, the Academic School and the International School. I do subjects from both.
-There's no minimum attendance required at all. There's absolutely no baby-ing, discipline, etc. If you don't want to be here you don't come, and you just show up for the exam. It's a really adult atmosphere.
-I do exams here, I don't do exams back home.
-We stop for coffee and cigarette breaks for ten minutes in every class.
-There's no lectures, you just have one class per week per subject (except I have two classes per week for language), and it's just a tutorial-like situation. No lecture or seminar and then a class. It's just a small class as your only subject interaction for the week.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2017, 03:29:40 pm »
+1
4/4/17
- The 3 days of terror have ended, feeling so relieved that the next assessment is my only midsem, next Thursday :)
- 9:30-1 today, had a quiz, 2 lectures and a tute.
- I have to watch (and pay attention to ::) ) a couple of long videos on the cardiovascular system
- I actually can mostly chill tonight. So happy ahaha.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2017, 04:51:24 pm »
+1
5/4/17

- Got to uni at 8am this morning and had to drive around the uni trying to find a ticketed parking spot. I usually park in the south east section of Monash, but had to adventure to the multi-level near engineering for the first time. That was an interesting experience. It puzzles me that a car park can be pretty much full at 8am.....
- Back at uni after nearly 4 weeks of not being there (due to placement). Nice to catch up with some people and discuss our experiences.
- It's nice to know that some things don't change - I am so over uni now. The workshops I had today were dull and boring.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2017, 04:59:07 pm »
4/4/17
- The 3 days of terror have ended, feeling so relieved that the next assessment is my only midsem, next Thursday :)
- 9:30-1 today, had a quiz, 2 lectures and a tute.
- I have to watch (and pay attention to ::) ) a couple of long videos on the cardiovascular system
- I actually can mostly chill tonight. So happy ahaha.

Is it... is it your birthday today?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2017, 05:07:55 pm »
+1
Is it... is it your birthday today?
Nope. 8)
(Alternatively just look for a cake on my profile until you see one )

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2017, 05:11:40 pm »
Nope. 8)
(Alternatively just look for a cake on my profile until you see one )

This calls for a linguistic debate on the term "next Wednesday" hahaha.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2017, 05:18:18 pm »
This calls for a linguistic debate on the term "next Wednesday" hahaha.
I thought "next" in relation to days meant the week after the one you're currently in? O.o

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2017, 05:56:11 pm »
I thought "next" in relation to days meant the week after the one you're currently in? O.o

m8 it gets so confusing. I've had so many disagreements about this hahaha. Like, if it's a Thursday, and you say "next Wednesday", which Wednesday are you referring to?

EDIT: Stuff it, I'm going to make a thread on this hahaha.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:00:38 pm by Joseph41 »

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2017, 08:14:02 am »
+1
m8 it gets so confusing. I've had so many disagreements about this hahaha. Like, if it's a Thursday, and you say "next Wednesday", which Wednesday are you referring to?

EDIT: Stuff it, I'm going to make a thread on this hahaha.
Warning: I have strong opinions on this matter ::)

don't even get me started on people who say 'Wednesday next' -.-

pixonman

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2017, 02:08:45 pm »
How's uni compared to school

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2017, 07:16:04 pm »
+1
How's uni compared to school
much harder(not really content wise but keeping up to date with everything and having room to study) but also more enjoyable  :)

10/04/2017
Just gonna recap because I haven't posted here for a while.
-Had an MST for BMS1011 (biomedical chemistry) on Friday went pretty well although I think i dropped a mark.
-Got two more MST's on Wednesday and Thursday
-BMS1031 (medical biophysics) pracs are the worst so badly run although relatively easy to score on (given you have a nice TA)
-BMS1021 (Cells,tissues and Organisms) had a couple of online quizzes had to google a lot of the answers because a lot wasn't taught LOL (maybe purposefully so not everybody full marks)