Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:33:29 pm

Author Topic: Is vcaa more like to examine the new content on the study design?  (Read 2348 times)  Share 

aamish

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Since its a new course, will the examine new content?
Did they do this in the last study design change a few years ago?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Is vcaa more like to examine the new content on the study design?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:45:04 pm »
The VCAA are only allowed to examine what is in the current study design (accredited for this year). The first page of each study design has the accreditation period, which you should be able to view.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 06:49:30 pm »
Welcome to ATAR Notes, aamish! ;D

The VCAA are only allowed to examine what is in the current study design (accredited for this year). The first page of each study design has the accreditation period, which you should be able to view.

Bio has a new study design as of this year (2017-2021). I think the question was more asking if that new information (new this year) is more likely to be tested as a result of its being new, compared to content that also existed on the previous study design. :)

To answer that, I'm not really sure haha. I didn't do Bio, but I haven't personally noticed a difference in analogous situations for other subjects. Either way, I don't think it's worth worrying about too much - an understanding of the entire course will put you in the best possible position. ;)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:30:14 pm »
+1
This is a question no one is going to be able to answer for you, because no one really knows.

I'd be very surprised though if there were a huge focus on the new information, especially given the fact that very little has been added to the course.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:47:10 pm »
+1
I wouldn't be too worried about whether/whether not something will come up but try my best in covering all the content :P

VCAA usually do a pretty good job in covering the entire study design

Just for interest sake

So as a precedent we have the spec/meth exams last year (first year in the study design).

These exams the new content was not a "large" section imo - well not as many marks associated to the new stats as I had anticipated. (especially in the methods exams)

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:47:41 pm »
+2

I'm sure there will be some questions on the new content, but it's hard to say what aspects of the new content will be assessed. If you want a feel for what VCAA might ask in terms of topics and types of questions, you should look at the examiners reports from 2013-2016 and see what questions were poorly answered.
UAdel MBBS

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 08:44:34 pm »
VCAA should always try to put new topics on the study design in the first exams so that future students know what to expect. However, they will not put difficult parts of the new study design until later on.
VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 10:57:05 pm »
+1
I don't do biology, but I'd say that you shouldn't count on a pattern occuring for the end of the year exam. For example, there was a pattern for the Chinese exams in the past, however last year they broke the pattern. Basically you should study all topics equally, since you don't know what's going to be on the exam.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 01:41:23 pm »
+1
VCAA should always try to put new topics on the study design in the first exams so that future students know what to expect. However, they will not put difficult parts of the new study design until later on.

That's a fairly big statement to make. What evidence do you have to support that?
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Janna

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 03:53:53 pm »
+4
In the past the new parts of the study design have been examined however usually at a fairly basic level. Make sure you check the sample exam VCAA publishes as usually they will put an indication of what they might ask about the new content on there. However, its VCAA so you can never actually predict what they're going to do so just prepare as best you can for whatever they might throw at you.