Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:29:45 am

Author Topic: GAT Questions and Discussion  (Read 128935 times)

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: GAT Questions and Discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 05:38:44 pm »
+3
I'm not really a great writer...
Would it be better to spend more time on the questions and try to get a better mark there??
What is the best way to divide up the time??
I think if you go through the questions at a 'normal' pace, you'll probably finish relatively early. Don't waste 5 minutes on one question and you'll find yourself with plenty of time to write your essays!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 05:39:42 pm »
+1
thanks guys! (:

I'm not really a great writer...
Would it be better to spend more time on the questions and try to get a better mark there??
What is the best way to divide up the time??

pretty sure they advise half an hour per writing task and two hours for the questions. kind of works out because you can do a writing piece, rest your hand for an hour and then do another piece which kind of broke up the monotony of the test for me last year (: but whatever works for you is best tbh.
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 05:43:50 pm »
I just realised - strong maths students who can get through the maths MCQ questions fast may get more time for their humanities and English parts, and thus score better in these areas than humanities/English students!

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 05:44:29 pm »
+1
I think if you go through the questions at a 'normal' pace, you'll probably finish relatively early. Don't waste 5 minutes on one question and you'll find yourself with plenty of time to write your essays!

That sounds like a fairly good idea....
pretty sure they advise half an hour per writing task and two hours for the questions. kind of works out because you can do a writing piece, rest your hand for an hour and then do another piece which kind of broke up the monotony of the test for me last year (: but whatever works for you is best tbh.
That might just work...
I had a seriously sore hand near the end of my english essay today... an hours break would be perfect... :D
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 05:49:26 pm »
How much should you write for each essay to get a good mark?

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 05:52:46 pm »
+1
Our english teacher said ~ 600 words...
I guess just how much you can write in 30 minutes...

Some notes attached if they help... :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:55:14 pm by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 06:03:58 pm »
+1

if you consider that the (mainstream) english best essay responses tend to be about/over 1000 words and there's an hour for those, i'd aim for 500 in half an hour (or possibly more because they really only require quick fact regurgitation and a couple arguments, nothing like the complex themes needed for essays). sounds like a lot, but it's not tbh. i managed a couple pages easily last year and i'm a painfully slow writer haha (:
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 06:54:43 pm »
+2
Probably aim for a few hundred, but really you can get an ace mark writing a small or large amount, as long as you get your point across/address the topic. I scored very well in my written section both years and think I wrote maybe 1.5-2 pages per piece. I just didn't have anything more to say, and got to the point quickly with my pieces so never saw the point in writing more :)
Don't spend too long - probably ~30-35 mins per piece (or longer, depending how much time you want for MC), which will give you plenty of time to do MC - I finished about 15-20 mins early both years.

keeley_bottoms

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 07:09:08 pm »
+3
So was basically wondering since I'm an English Language student how we should structure the essay for topic one, what even is an expository?

MLGityaJ^A

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 07:15:14 pm »
+1
Should i study for the gat or concentrate on my unit 1 and 2 exams that begin this friday?

ziaxadon

• Trailblazer
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 07:23:08 pm »
+1
Hi guys, I am only in year 10 and completing one vce subject: further maths. For the GAT, because I am only doing a maths related subject can I just focus on the maths component of the GAT or will I still need to perform reasonably well in the other areas namely science, english and humanities?

ziaxadon

• Trailblazer
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 07:34:22 pm »
Hey guys, for the english component of the GAT I know one is an informative piece whilst the other is a persuasive piece. For the informative piece do you basically need to paraphrase the information provided for you or do you have to get creative with the information?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 07:44:07 pm »
+4
Hi guys, I am only in year 10 and completing one vce subject: further maths. For the GAT, because I am only doing a maths related subject can I just focus on the maths component of the GAT or will I still need to perform reasonably well in the other areas namely science, english and humanities?
Maybe you can do your maths questions first, but make sure you do the other parts and give it all a shot - if nothing else, it's a great practice run for future years. Plus, you're in there for 3 hours, so why not try your best for all of it? It'll make time go quicker. Don't stress yourself out though, it's basically like an IQ test, and it doesn't test you on coursework or anything.

Should i study for the gat or concentrate on my unit 1 and 2 exams that begin this friday?
Concentrate on your 1&2 exams, always. Basically the only prep you can do for the GAT is look at past ones to see the structure of the assessment. I think the GAT can unnerve people because it's not something you can study for. Think of it as something like a reasoning/IQ test. The only time you need to concentrate/think about the GAT is when you're actually doing it :)

So was basically wondering since I'm an English Language student how we should structure the essay for topic one, what even is an expository?
An expository piece is basically something that describes/explains something. It's also often called explanatory. You're merely presenting the information provided on the page, and not your opinion (that's reserved for section two).
Both of the times I did the GAT, I just sort of grouped similar stuff together and did new paragraphs when I was moving on to a different idea sort of thing. I think I did a bit of a vague intro, from memory.
To be honest, there's not really a structure you need to follow. Just write in a way that feels comfortable to you and let the piece flow, provided you're addressing the requirements of the piece. For what it's worth, both years I'm pretty sure I did several small paragraphs just because they felt right, but I know that some people did larger paragraphs. As long as you do what they want you to do, you have the capacity to score well no matter which way you approach it :)

Hey guys, for the english component of the GAT I know one is an informative piece whilst the other is a persuasive piece. For the informative piece do you basically need to paraphrase the information provided for you or do you have to get creative with the information?
Probably a frustrating answer, but you can sort of do what you want :) There's no wrong way to do it, really (unless you're doing a persuasive piece where you shouldn't be). I'd probably recommend getting a bit creative, just to maybe set yourself apart from other people, but as long as you get the job done, it doesn't really matter.

ardria

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 08:14:35 pm »
Are these an ideal way to structure each essay to score very well?

Essay 1: Group the information into subheadings (basically regurgitating the information but in an organised way) -- should we write this essay in a creative way? E.g., a tour guide telling tourists the information
Essay 2: A persuasive speech

I'm especially still quite confused about just what we're expected to do for the first essay  :o

Anguspana

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Parade College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 08:15:00 pm »
+1
I was wondering whether there is a certain structure in which the two writing pieces must be written, like an intro, body paragraphs, etc.