Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 03:52:25 am

Author Topic: Geography Question Thread  (Read 38951 times)  Share 

16Elias

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Oakhill
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: GEOGRAPHY RESOURCES THREAD
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2017, 06:04:29 pm »
HAHAHAHA How??

HSCNewcastle2017

• Trailblazer
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2017, 06:27:57 pm »

Here is a good recent media article that could be used for the challenges of mega cities.
https://theconversation.com/mexico-city-has-79-governments-responding-to-two-massive-earthquakes-the-results-are-patchy-at-best-85293

younglad22

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2017, 06:41:57 pm »
Hey Geography friends!!

What do you think this years essay questions will be for each topic?

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
Re: Geography Question Thread
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2017, 05:56:05 am »
Hello!!
Just need help on an assignment of when world cities have emerged... I can't find anything online about this- could someone please help me?
Thanks heaps....

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2017, 06:36:27 am »
Hello!!
Just need help on an assignment of when world cities have emerged... I can't find anything online about this- could someone please help me?
Thanks heaps....
When us year 12s stop stressing about our test today I'm sure someone can help you. I never learnt that though so this will be interesting, especially cause I would have thought it to be a gradual process.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

lcamilleri.53

• Trailblazer
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2017, 06:43:55 am »
+1
I think world cities proliferated following the effects of globalisation (probably around 1960s) of economic activity which facilitated networks and trade that are part of the nature of world cities. It is more than likely to be a gradual process that has quickened significantly with the increasing technology available today

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2017, 02:39:30 pm »
Opps I only just saw this now!
Yep I think you are right... I have since done a bit of research on it(reading the textbook always helps ;))Thanks heaps...

I have another question- what is the main reason why world cities are so important? I know they are the control centre and what not- but why else are they so important??
Thanks once again!!

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2017, 02:52:06 pm »
+2
I have another question- what is the main reason why world cities are so important? I know they are the control centre and what not- but why else are they so important??
Thanks once again!!

World cities are centres of economic and cultural authority that provide, control and lead the world in aspects such as business activity, human capital, infomation exchange, cultural experience and political engagement. These aspects are called dimensions and are measured by metrics such as the number of Fortune 500 companies, stock exchanges, the number of museums and theatrical performances, global sporting events etc. If you can find the AT Kearney global cities report for 2016 (or maybe even 2017, dunno if it exists yet but it might) that should give you more info on what I'm talking about in terms of the dimensions and metrics.
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2017, 02:58:30 pm »
Wow- thanks so much! ;D :D

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2017, 10:30:10 am »
Hey... just wondering if someone can help me as to what solutions there are in the future for those who don't have access to employment? This is mainly relevant to those in Megacities and in developing countries....
Any thoughts on this??

Thanks ;D

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2017, 04:58:30 pm »
Just a quick reply to gie you some ideas until I get home and can give a longer response
Some solutions to lack of employment in megacities are
- operation of informal economies
- waste picking

Hope that gives you a starting point

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2017, 10:06:40 am »
Ok cool thats great thanks...

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2017, 11:02:21 pm »
+3
Ok so, in mega cities, the informal economy is quite large due to the lack of formal job oppotunities. This involves selling hand made goods, picking through trash and selling off recyclables and offering services such as sewing. This is a problem because it means that these people don't pay tax, meaning less money for the govenment and thus they can't improve the infrastructure, trapping the city in a cycle of poverty. It also increases the likley hood of exploitation as there are no regulations, and sale prices can be hyper inflated based on supply and demand.

So informal economies are the main way people respond to employment issues, however this is clearly an issue in itsself so some better solutions include the self help project of the Grameen bank in Dhaka which gives out small long term loans to people to help them get into the workforce.

There are also heaps of other self help projects, NGO responses and government intervention solutions in other mega cities which are worth looking into cause it's pretty interesting, but yeah, the ones I mainly focused on during HSC prep were the Grameen bank self help project and the flawed response that is the informal economy. So hopefully that answers your question  :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:15:46 am by Potatohater »

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2017, 09:24:36 am »
Ok- great thanks. I will have to note all that down...
So if I just look into that I should be right?
The information was just for a powerpoint but I think our teacher was saying we need to know the info for our HSC.
So thanks heaps.

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2017, 11:14:50 pm »
Yeah for HSC you do need to know heaps of stuff and have relevant examples and statistics you can talk about, it's so annoying how they don't even ask you to use much of it in the exam but you still need it cause you don't know what they are going to ask you in the exam. It's all very interesting anyway so remebering all these illustrative examples as they are called shouldn't be too much of a chore  :)