Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 28, 2024, 12:59:46 am

Author Topic: Underrated TV Shows  (Read 2076 times)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Underrated TV Shows
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:04:22 pm »
+3
Here's a thread where everyone can share their favourite underrated tv show/s and convince other people to watch it ;)

I wish more people watched the CW's comedy/musical show 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'. People usually shut down when first reading the title and think it's some random reality tv show on MTV. If I were to summarise the show, it'll be "Successful laywer Rebecca Bunch quits her law firm in NYC, to reunite with her ex-boyfriend from summer camp (10 years ago) and chase him down in West Covina, California, after a short encounter with him on the streets of New York, with hints of musical numbers in every episode". I know from the summary alone, Rebecca truly fits the stereotype of the crazy ex-girlfriend. However, the show is beyond that and focuses on other themes such as mental health, sexuality and family issues.

The show also includes a diverse range of characters from Rebecca (a Jewish woman) to Josh Chan (Filipino man), to Valencia Perez (a Latina woman) to Darryl Whitefeather (a bisexual man) to Heather (biracial woman) and so on. Despite the differences in their cultural backgrounds, there is hardly any emphasis on their racial background/sexuality (besides mentions of Josh's Filipino family and Darryl coming out as bisexual) and instead treat all the characters as people living normal lives. It is truly rare to see a show with a diverse cast, where there isn't any discrimination between them.

Another unique thing about the show are the musical numbers. Characters just randomly break out in a musical number; whether that'd be singing about ping pong, being stuck in a bathroom or babysitting, the show has a song for everything. Explore all the songs from the show right here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6abPzY300GUJQic25ynhTLup1YTqmvOX.

Hope that I convinced you enough to watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend ;)

What underrated show do you wish everyone else watched?

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Underrated TV Shows
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 10:13:59 pm »
+4
Legend of the Seeker!
Been a while since I last watched it, but thoroughly enjoyed the series, and hardly anyone seems to have heard of it.

For murder mysteries - Death in Paradise on the ABC :) Started watching it because mum liked watching it, and ended up really liking it haha.

In a similar vein - though I say it's 'underrated' just because not as many people I know seem to have watched it even though it's quite acclaimed - Broadchurch. Really good series :)

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:46:56 am »
+2
Bloodline (Netflix original)! The first season is amazing, yet not very well known. It's about a family reunion and the dark secrets that come with it. The thing is that the first season is really enjoyable, but the rest are pretty crap, so if you want to watch it, prepare to give up after the first season. Tough choice

Hornblower! It's not underrated (in fact, very rated highly), but not many people have heard of it, so I'm including it here. It's a miniseries actually, about a man called Horatio Hornblower, in/during/after the Napoleonic Wars.

Firefly! Again, not underrated, so I'm really crap at answering your question, but it was cancelled (DUE TO FOX SUCKING), so a lot of people never try it. It's pretty much a space western.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:52:29 am »
+2
Hornblower! It's not underrated (in fact, very rated highly), but not many people have heard of it, so I'm including it here. It's a miniseries actually, about a man called Horatio Hornblower, in/during/after the Napoleonic Wars.
Omg Hornblower! My brothers got me into this show haha. Really, really good - I'll throw my support behind this recommendation :)

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 12:59:28 am »
+2
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

This was a show about  a street-smart teenager from West Philadelphia who is sent to move in with his wealthy aunt and uncle in their Bel Air mansion after getting into a fight on a local basketball court.

There are some family conflicts, it deals with some tough issues and WILL SMITH is great in it. ALSO THAT SARCASTIC BUTLER :P. It is also a hilarious show xD.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:01:15 am by EEEEEEP »

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 01:05:21 am »
+2
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

This was a show about  a street-smart teenager from West Philadelphia who is sent to move in with his wealthy aunt and uncle in their Bel Air mansion after getting into a fight on a local basketball court.

There are some family conflicts, it deals with some tough issues and WILL SMITH is great in it. ALSO THAT SARCASTIC BUTLER :P. It is also a hilarious show xD.

+1! Great show. Has some really sad, dramatic scenes, like this one. Beware of spoilers though, but y'know, spoilers for a sitcom aren't too bad haha.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 01:07:27 am »
+1! Great show. Has some really sad, dramatic scenes, like this one. Beware of spoilers though, but y'know, spoilers for a sitcom aren't too bad haha.
THAT SCENE :')

I read that it was unscripted but they just ran with it. :'). The father of "will" in the show was actually his irl mentor. =)
"Every young man needs an Uncle Phil. ."

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:09:39 am by EEEEEEP »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 01:19:17 am »
+1
damn fresh prince is lit  8)

but tbh it isn't underrated imo (at least in popularity, maybe in ratings etc) haha

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 01:34:35 am »
+2
Voltron on Netflix.

You'll agree with me when you realise that the two showrunners for it also did a lot of directing and storyboarding for Avatar.

Also, on that, Korra. Just because I feel a bunch of people didn't watch it because it didn't match TLA, or dropped off after season 2 because season 2 literally only had two good episodes and they were both filler.