Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 11, 2024, 01:27:46 pm

Author Topic: Last minute creative check.  (Read 1993 times)

Glitter Muffin xox

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Last minute creative check.
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:02:48 am »
Hello i just joined the forum and i need help in creative writing it is my weakest area in the exam, i have prepared a creative by dot pointing Main parts of my story. it is about an Australian protagonist going to Siberia to explore the world.
here are the points

- before travelling the protagonist (will be written in first person at the exam) would stay home and spend too much time in technology.
- protagonists  grandmother died and used to love travelling, as a way to honour her the protagonist decides to travel to far ends of earth such a North Siberia.
- goes on a flight to Moscow and meets two people named Irina and  Boris who share same interests in travelling, all three take a flight to North Siberia.
- upon arriving they walk around the city at night and see kids playing, it gave new perspective for the persona as most Australian kids would spend time with phone and not outside.
-after spending a night at the hotel they make their way to the edge of the city and start walking away from civilisation in hopes of discovering something new. they were walking in the snowy plains they were overcome by loneliness despite being in a group.
- 2 days later they were approached by a bear, they ran away and the bear bit Boris in the leg, and Irina and the protagonist help him get away from the bear, they spend a night hiding in a cave.
- after 2 weeks they saw a mountain with trees and houses and they ran towards it, they met the inhabitants who were native Siberians and they invite them to stay for a while.
- the protagonist sees a little shop selling crystals and looking at the blue marble crystal, it gave her memories of her grandmother when she was young, it was emotional for her. (protagonist buys it)
- protagonist gained a different perspective of life there, as people grew their food and involved in cultural activities and playing musical instruments such as a jaw harp. it was completely different to life in Australia.
- after staying for two months it was time to go, during the stay the protagonist learned the jaw harp and learned expressions in their native language, it was an enriching experience. before leaving they we given farewell from the people.
- after 2 weeks the protagonist arrived back home in Australia the protagonist made changes to life such as being outside more and using less technology.

So do you think it would be a good story for the exam? those were main points it will be expanded in the exam.
the discoveries are:
emotional: blue stone reminds protagonist of precious memories.
physical: traveling to far end of the earth (Siberia).
intellectual: new perspectives.

also a question or the reading area. can i use words from syllabus such as "discoveries can be sudden and unexpected" to answer the questions?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Last minute creative check.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 11:12:11 am »
+2
As a response to your last question - yes you can :)

As a response to the entire creative: I really think you've thought about this plot in all the right ways, its interesting and you've hit all the right points to make the plot propel. I am worried about how you'll put such a sequence-heavy plot into an exam situation tomorrow. I'm just worried that you'll spend so much time recounting that it won't really seem like a short story.

Would you write it like a memoir, speech, or diary entry, instead? This might alleviate the tension between event-heavy plot, and still creatively using the time you have in the exam.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Glitter Muffin xox

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 03:47:48 pm »
+2
As a response to your last question - yes you can :)

As a response to the entire creative: I really think you've thought about this plot in all the right ways, its interesting and you've hit all the right points to make the plot propel. I am worried about how you'll put such a sequence-heavy plot into an exam situation tomorrow. I'm just worried that you'll spend so much time recounting that it won't really seem like a short story.

Would you write it like a memoir, speech, or diary entry, instead? This might alleviate the tension between event-heavy plot, and still creatively using the time you have in the exam.

thank you for answering  :) , for me a short story is easier for me, the first and last points are the start and end of the story i have worked on it late last night. i was planning to expand every point so it becomes a story, i have most of my story in my head so in the exam i can start writing and i don't think it will be that long.

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 04:04:57 pm »

thank you for answering  :) , for me a short story is easier for me, the first and last points are the start and end of the story i have worked on it late last night. i was planning to expand every point so it becomes a story, i have most of my story in my head so in the exam i can start writing and i don't think it will be that long.
I think Elyse is right - there are a lot of different events here, if you are running out of time you may not have enough time to expand on all your points, and therefore the story could become confusing. There's quite a few major occurances - people dying, getting injured, the persona travelling, meeting new people - all these could be explained through beautiful imagery, but if there is not enough time you could slip into telling, not showing, just to get the piece complete. But it does sound like a very interesting story  ;)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 05:49:44 pm »

Good luck with it! Check back after the paper to let us know how you went :)

Glitter Muffin xox

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 01:39:46 pm »
+2
Good luck with it! Check back after the paper to let us know how you went :)
I think Elyse is right - there are a lot of different events here, if you are running out of time you may not have enough time to expand on all your points, and therefore the story could become confusing. There's quite a few major occurances - people dying, getting injured, the persona travelling, meeting new people - all these could be explained through beautiful imagery, but if there is not enough time you could slip into telling, not showing, just to get the piece complete. But it does sound like a very interesting story  ;)

Thank you for your feedback  :). I managed to finish the creative writing which was a relief  :). In section three i did not have time to finish the essay i did two paragraphs of my prescribed text and i just put my quote technique and a little analysis for my related text. I spend a lot of time in the reading section. In paper 2 i finished everything . I am confident that i did well.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 12:24:52 am »
+2
Congratulations! I'm glad you feel like you did well. What a great feeling!