Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 08:43:48 pm

Author Topic: Chances of getting a place (BMP) for Monash MBBS?  (Read 1875 times)  Share 

S1024986

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Chances of getting a place (BMP) for Monash MBBS?
« on: December 20, 2017, 05:43:54 pm »
Hi guys, I have received an interview offer from Monash for MBBS, but I'm concerned about how well I have to perform on interview.

My ATAR is 99.8 and UMAT was 75 (appalling, i know).
I was wondering where this puts me in terms of interview performance to land a place for monash med? How well do I have to do etc.
I was hoping my strong ATAR performance would compensate for the atrocious UMAT but I see lots of cases of ppl with 96 or 97 atar getting in with mid 90s UMAT, which is quite discouraging, as I've yet to see ppl with atrocious UMAT scores but dece ATARs get in.

WOuld appreciate any advice or conjecture, even if that is all it is. :)

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
Re: Chances of getting a place (BMP) for Monash MBBS?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:32:41 pm »
Unless you are rural, you would probably need an exceptional interview to get a monash med offer with that UMAT score. Generally you can only get away with a UMAT score in the 70s if you get 99.9 or 99.95. Still, don’t give up hope, try your best and see how you go.
UAdel MBBS

OutstandingInDivination

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Shiny Ekans is green... Salazar Slytherin is real!
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 08:16:49 pm »
+1
Once you get an Interview, they don't consider your exam results (ATAR or UMAT) from my understanding.

You've been short-listed at that point :) Interview is the only hurdle.

Go smash the interview and get into Med   ;)

I suppose each to their own, but I really don't think concerning yourself with possibilities and likelihoods is particularly helpful. It just psychs you out, reducing whatever chance you do have. Be confident, and say to yourself over and over if you have to - 'I WILL get in'. Sure, some people don't get into undergrad, but I've found (anecdotally of course) the only people who don't eventually get into MBBS or MD are those who didn't keep up the passion. I have heaps of post grad friends who got ATARs in the 80s who are in med.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:24:56 pm by OutstandingInDivination »
2012-2013: VCE, 99.00 ATAR
2014-2019: MBBS(Hons)

JOHNSMITH II

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 08:57:10 pm »
Well Ive gotten the interview offer, but Im curious

With a UMAT score in the 89th percentile (of course the whole 175 thing is met), what kind of ATAR would you expect Id need to get a spot?

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 09:04:13 pm »
+3
Once you get an Interview, they don't consider your exam results (ATAR or UMAT) from my understanding.

You've been short-listed at that point :) Interview is the only hurdle.

Go smash the interview and get into Med   ;)

I suppose each to their own, but I really don't think concerning yourself with possibilities and likelihoods is particularly helpful. It just psychs you out, reducing whatever chance you do have. Be confident, and say to yourself over and over if you have to - 'I WILL get in'. Sure, some people don't get into undergrad, but I've found (anecdotally of course) the only people who don't eventually get into MBBS or MD are those who didn't keep up the passion. I have heaps of post grad friends who got ATARs in the 80s who are in med.

This is untrue. For Monash med offers it is 1/3 UMAT, 1/3 ATAR, 1/3 interview.

Well Ive gotten the interview offer, but Im curious

With a UMAT score in the 89th percentile (of course the whole 175 thing is met), what kind of ATAR would you expect Id need to get a spot?

Depends a lot on interview but assuming you are non-rural you’d have a decent chance with at least low-mid 99s
UAdel MBBS