Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 12:08:36 am

Author Topic: Clarke's experience with Arts  (Read 9986 times)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: Clarke's experience with Arts
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 02:44:57 pm »
+3
Anthropology <3 <3 <3

Have you studied many anthropology subjects, appleandbee?  :)

Fantastic stuff, Clarke! I kind of regret not keeping a journal of my own VCE/uni journey; I think this is a really great initiative and will likely help many future students. :)

Thanks abc1234j! Absolutely. Not only will it help document my own thinking, but hopefully also provide some insight to those considering a similar path.

On another note, it's great to hear that you are already very interested in and keen on law!  I too am considering studying the JD after my first degree, and I've already sat the LSAT and all of that jazz...so if you need any advice etc feel free to ask!

Have you had experience with many law subjects at UoM? Oh the damned LSAT  :'( I wish it wasn't a requirement. I've heard that many students opt to sit this test 2-3 times. I suppose everyone wants to maximise their chance of attaining a CSP!

I recognise your Arts West building, and raise you an entrance to a car park.

Oh goodness!! How this is even classed as a car park is beyond me. IIRC they filmed an episode of Masterchef here  ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:50:24 pm by clarke54321 »
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 02:51:33 pm »
+9
clarke54321: cool! Happy to see you on the journey journal bandwagon. ;) Subjects are sounding nifty. I think I know what you mean about the "homely" aspect. I didn't feel it at any uni before I enrolled, really, but came to find uni very homely indeed. There's a sort of sense of familiarity, and if you feel that even before starting, I'd say that's probably a good sign!

snip

I think these are all pretty reasonable points to be honest - thanks for expressing your views. :) If you want to continue the discussion, let's take it away from clarke54321's journal, and into the General University Discussion boards. You might also be interested in this recent article, which addresses the topic pretty directly! ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:56:50 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 03:12:56 pm »
+5
Great to see you joining in on a university journey journal :D

I'm also quite intrested in the JD @ UoM but like you've conveyed was not willing to commit to a career/career pathway straight out of highschool.
Also a little bit envious of Arts students since they get such a large and broad choice of units to pick from in art faculty and on top of that there is also breadths/electives. So subject selection must be so fun! I'm trying to make sure I do atleast 1-2 arts/law units in year 3 so always intrested to see everyone's experience 8)

The Special One

• Forum Obsessive
  • Do not touch the great one
  • Respect: -14
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 03:13:29 pm »
+10
@Joseph41 thank you very much for your fair reply.

I can see I've derailed the thread somewhat I apologise for that and it was never my intention.

I just didn't react well to the 9 or so downvotes to what I thought what as on topic question and I just wanted a different point of view, if it was interpreted differently I also apologise for that.

Thank you  for your suggestions I may open a thread later.

I wish Clarke the best of luck with his course. And I'll leave it at that, sorry for the disruption.
Bachelor of Laws @ Monash (2nd year)

Feel free to PM me about anything, happy to give advice about school and/or uni.

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 07:45:46 pm »
+5
Look forward to reading your journal clarke54321!!! Do you have any idea what you may major and/or minor in? :)

@Joseph41 thank you very much for your fair reply.

I can see I've derailed the thread somewhat I apologise for that and it was never my intention.

I just didn't react well to the 9 or so downvotes to what I thought what as on topic question and I just wanted a different point of view, if it was interpreted differently I also apologise for that.

Thank you  for your suggestions I may open a thread later.

I wish Clarke the best of luck with his course. And I'll leave it at that, sorry for the disruption.

In addition to the links provided by Joseph41, you may find this thread interesting! https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=171704.0

:)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 07:58:24 pm »
+4
Look forward to reading your journal clarke54321!!! Do you have any idea what you may major and/or minor in? :)

Thanks Glasses!

At this stage, I'm fairly sure that I'll study Linguistics and Applied Linguistics as my major. For a minor, or potential double major, I may decide on Criminology. There's just so much subject breadth within Arts, which makes it difficult to choose! But hey, more choice is better than little to none  :P

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 08:06:45 pm »
+4
Thanks Glasses!

At this stage, I'm fairly sure that I'll study Linguistics and Applied Linguistics as my major. For a minor, or potential double major, I may decide on Criminology. There's just so much subject breadth within Arts, which makes it difficult to choose! But hey, more choice is better than little to none  :P

Sounds awesome! I think you'll really like Criminology, especially because of your interest in law! It's also really good because you get a lot of different perspectives on crime and criminal justice :)

I can't comment much on Linguistics, but I'm sure Joseph41/Nick will have some thoughts to share (if he hasn't already!)  ;D
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2018, 08:10:05 pm »
+9
25/2/18

Well, tomorrow I shall finally seek relief from what has seemed a 3-month state of perpetual turmoil. During this time, I've watched an unhealthy amount of breakfast TV, been uncommonly amused by the snobbish tendencies of my cats, and spent the remainder refreshing my unread posts on AN. But I can't say that this transitional phase, in all of its long-winded length, hasn't been relaxing. Because it has. I've had a great deal of time to reflect on my year 12 experience; what was good about it, how I could have handled things differently, and where I want to direct my passions henceforth. And so this brings me to the present moment. University. I truly hope that uni will bridge the link between abstract interests and the tangible. I want to unearth a concrete vision of achievement. I'm sure that Unimelb will allow for this in one way or another. Let's see when I make my next entry  ;D

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2018, 08:16:06 pm »
+3
Can't wait on your behalf! Let us know how you go. I want hourly updates. ;)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 10:43:23 pm »
+13
2/4/18

I think my lack of updates in this journal indicates just how quickly the first half of the semester has passed by. Several weeks ago, I didn’t have the slightest notion of what I would be anticipating. And that is lots and lots of reading. All jokes aside, uni life has been a vast change from my VCE one.

Unlike VCE where I would have a comfortable week to comprehend and analyse the content of an academic journal, one or two days is now the norm. Where a teacher would discuss the ins and outs of a particularly complex topic, lecturers flick over it quicker than I have time to write it down. I suppose what I’m trying to convey is that one must seriously take account for their own learning. While the intensity of this prospect overwhelmed me quite heavily during the first few weeks, I’m starting to find some rhythm.

This semester I’ve absorbed myself in the fascinating world of linguistics. Apart from the impenetrable works of Jakobson and Lacan, I’m thoroughly enjoying the field and its application to the current day. Most notably, the intersection between linguistic analysis and the validation of asylum seeker claims has particularly struck a chord with me. This area is truly captivating. What’s even more interesting is how closely it resonates with ideas of justice and the law- my other interest. And so, alongside these subjects, I’ve also been immersed in business law. To be truly honest, I always imagined business law to be quite banal and dry, but desperately wanted to study a law subject, and so undertook this one. But to my surprise, this subject has reinvigorated my desire to pursue the JD down the track. I love the fastidiousness of it.

What’s been lacking for me this semester, however, is the lack of language learning. So looking forward, I endeavour to pick up German again and challenge myself by learning French at the same time. Until then, I have many more readings that must be read……
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:47:46 pm by clarke54321 »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 07:07:33 am »
+1
Stoked that you're loving Linguistics! ;D

(And the rest, of course haha.)