Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 05:51:13 am

Author Topic: UNSW Co-op Scholarship Program  (Read 39017 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: UNSW Co-op Scholarship Program
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2018, 06:35:17 pm »
Hey, guys,

Just wondering what we fill out for year 11 ranks if our school didn't provide us with them in Year 11. Also for subjects we picked up in year 12, do we need to explain why there is not a year 11 mark?

They'll understand why some subjects are missing Year 12 results, they deal with applications every year so they'd be on top of it. As for missing ranks in Year 11, just jot a note somewhere like "Not provided to students," or something ;D

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2018, 09:57:40 pm »
They'll understand why some subjects are missing Year 12 results, they deal with applications every year so they'd be on top of it. As for missing ranks in Year 11, just jot a note somewhere like "Not provided to students," or something ;D

Cool, thanks! Btw, the subjects I was talking about as owidjaja and SpanishPear identified correctly were extension subjects!

I was just curious about the year 11 thing bc I know that some unis want you to say (1/1) if you didn't get a rank. So in this case saying I was (5/5293423) would be fine? And what exactly is a referee?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2018, 10:37:22 pm »
I was just curious about the year 11 thing bc I know that some unis want you to say (1/1) if you didn't get a rank. So in this case saying I was (5/5293423) would be fine? And what exactly is a referee?

I've never heard of that convention actually! You do you, they aren't going to stress it ;D

A referee is a reference, essentially someone who the Coop Office can call to verify the good stuff you are saying about yourself ;) usually a teacher/academic from school, or an employer, or someone else who isn't a family or friend!

8veFable

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2018, 09:07:53 pm »
I think using Dance is a great idea! I used my Music composition for that question, it’s good to use something that is very “you.” That answer works well, if anything maybe try and frame it more around one singular project rather than a bunch of smaller stuff, make it all about one “achievement” or “creation.”

Hi Jamon! I have some questions to ask :) You mentioned that you used your Music composition for the Co-op question:

Significant achievement or project: Describe an achievement in the workplace and/or designing, building, programming or creating something. Your example might relate to recent work experience, a part time job or a major non-school based project you have undertaken. You might choose to highlight your creativity; the ability to see alternatives; come up with many varied or original ideas; or willingness to try/learn new things 1250 character limit

Was this music composition for the course Music 1 or Music 2? If so then I am a bit confused since the question is asking for a 'major non-school based project', so I am not sure if I could use my own Music 1 composition for the question.

Also, what exactly do they want here? I don't really have any true work experience or a super big and cool projects, only stuff like playing piano, programming a bit (but nothing too big), helping create fundraisers, but I'm not sure if they fully fulfill what they're looking for with 'creativity' 'the ability to see alternatives' and etc. What sort of things are they looking for in a question like this?

Thanks!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2018, 11:46:49 pm »
+3
Was this music composition for the course Music 1 or Music 2? If so then I am a bit confused since the question is asking for a 'major non-school based project', so I am not sure if I could use my own Music 1 composition for the question.

Ooooh, I reckon they've changed this question since I did it! Maybe they saw mine and went, "Nah, can't have music comps" ;)

Also, what exactly do they want here? I don't really have any true work experience or a super big and cool projects, only stuff like playing piano, programming a bit (but nothing too big), helping create fundraisers, but I'm not sure if they fully fulfill what they're looking for with 'creativity' 'the ability to see alternatives' and etc. What sort of things are they looking for in a question like this?

Helping create fundraisers is a good one! As is the programming, if you ended up with some sort of finished 'product' (even if it was just a silly little demo, or whatever). They just want to see that you have, at some stage, been involved with/initiated a project. It is super broad, they aren't looking for anything specific, just pick what you think is the most interesting thing and chat about what you gained from it/what it taught you! ;D

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2018, 08:20:23 am »
Hey!
How does this response read for this question?
What is it that most attracts you to the UNSW Co-op Program and the academic field(s) that you have chosen?

Software engineering and computer science have been my passion for as long as I can remember. From an early age, I was often playing with computer programs, exploring them and figuring out how they work. In year 7, I was introduced to computer programming and computational thinking, and have been doing it ever since. I chose to do the Software Design and Development course via Distance Education-as my school did not offer it. I was also a member of the programming club, robotics club (in 2013-2014) and attended the National Computer Science Summer School in 2018. I love problem solving-despite its challenging nature- and that passion, coupled with my leadership experience and willingness to excel is why I am attracted to the co-op program!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2018, 05:29:51 pm »
I like it SP! Very genuine and not preaching yourself up unnecessarily. Maybe throw in a bit more about what the Coop program offers? (Industry experience, chances to network with knowledgeable people, etc)

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2018, 05:58:30 pm »
Hi, I am actually interested in getting the co-op scholarship program, however my position and current condition now seems far too undesirable to be a candidate since I have almost 0 experience in leadership and lack of extracurriculars, as well as not very impressive internal ranks and also the fact that I am being frowned upon at school now and I am not even expected to get 90 atar ( I am only hoping to scab 90+ at this stage)... Although my initial atar goal was 98, now even 93 seems a bit unreachable at this stage unless some miracle happens or that I somehow smash the exam on the day given my effort..
Now my career advisor told me that he cannot help me and to not bother with applying for co-op.. and told me that repeating may be a good idea etc (whenever I come to school, I always feel down but when I'm home my relatives seemed to believe that ones my mind is healthy, I can easily smash hsc)..
So I am aware of EAS and E12, but should I at least attempt to applu for co-op despite almost unfavourable conditions anyway? (I almost have nothing to write about myself except... failing to get elected for prefect)..
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
Hey guys,
When I spoke to a UNSW student ambassador, she said that the UAC code for UNSW Co-op engineering is different to the regular Engineering course. I'm kinda confused about this. Can anyone confirm this?
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2018, 08:46:10 pm »
Hi,

Last time I will bother this thread with requests to look over my application I promise. I have cut it down and am in the process of sending them over.

What is it that most attracts you to the UNSW Co-op Program and the academic field(s) that you have chosen?

My desire to be admitted into the UNSW Co-Op Program is predominantly due to my personal ambition in pursuing marketing as a career. The Co-Op Program has attracted me due to the high employment prospects following graduation due to its active prioritisation of valuable work experience. This will undoubtedly accelerate my career trajectory by propelling me closer to my long term goal of becoming a marketing consultant and business leader. As a highly ambitious, self-motivated individual,  I value the  Co-Op Program as it will challenge my limitations by pushing me outside my comfort zone to reach success, as well as enrich both my personal and professional life in which I will be fortunate enough to connect with like-minded mentors.

Please list any other activities that have not been listed above. You must include the year(s) in which you were involved (e.g. 2009-2011 or 2010-present). Only list activities/achievements that you have been actively involved in, during the last two years.

In 2018, I have participated in Generation Entrepreneur’s Initiate 48, a weekend hackathon where students in groups were encouraged to create a start-up enterprise in two days. In 2017, I had taken part in the Business Leadership Conference held at the University of Sydney and the Business Leadership Masterclass Conference at Western Sydney University. Both these conferences taught me the essential components of a visionary business leader, as well as soft skills regarding communication and critical thinking. 

Select one or two activities from either list in Question 1 and tell us the most important things you gained or learned from these activities. Do not just provide a list of dot points.

I believe that achieving the Diamond Award for volunteering was a significant achievement because it taught me the importance of commitment and hard work. Being part of the school’s volunteering committee has developed me by teaching me time management, team work and leadership skills through delegation and handling important tasks. Key examples include having to work around deadlines in ensuring all necessary products were brought to be sold in food stalls and to find time to attend meetings regularly.From being a Peer Support Leader in 2016, I learnt the importance of compassion and empathy, as well as being an active team player. This was derived from my experiences alongside other leaders, where I was expected to be a role model for my younger peers. I had to work cooperatively with others and enhance my communication skills whilst creating effective presentations and activities that educate others regarding life skills such as resilience.

What do you regard as your key strengths and areas for improvement?

My strengths are my work ethic and resilience. My relentless pursuit for success is reflected within my willingness to learn from my mistakes and to continue persevering. I believe that it is important to recognise that there is always room for improvement. I consistently ask for constructive feedback and strategies on how to enhance my performance, in order for me to improve each and every day. There are several personal characteristics that I endeavour to improve upon. I place high expectations to consistently perform at a commendable standard, and as a result, I place pressure upon myself. To rectify this, I advise myself to relax and focus upon aspects in my control. Another aspect I can improve is learning to have a balance. I commit myself to a lot of activities, resulting in putting pressure on myself. To counteract this, I changed my focus to recognising the quality of my time spent in these activities over the quantity, so I can learn where to spend my time more wisely.

Tell us about a situation where you were effective as a leader and/or as a team player. E.g. describe how you significantly influenced others, or contributed to the effective operation/successful outcome of a situation or team.

In 2016, I was part of an Indian cultural dance team in school. I along with my team members were expected to remember the choreography and positions as well as practice consistently in preparation for upcoming performances. In the lead up time before the performance, my team leader was unable to find time to supervise our rehearsals due to school commitments.  Hence, she had entrusted the task to me to ensure the team members were prepared. I substituted her role by carving out spare time in which I had personally assisted students in learning and performing choreography, ensured the performance ran smoothly by running frequent rehearsals and checking for technical issues in playing soundtracks. My efforts in ensuring that everyone knew what to do resulted in a successful running of a well-coordinated and synchronised piece.

Drawing on your experience or involvement in a part-time job, community or school activity, describe how you overcame a challenging situation and what you learnt from the experience.

Challenging situations were presented to me as I participated in designing and running a café in the course of a week, as part of a school activity, the Australian Business Week. Due to limited time constraints and the enormity of the tasks ahead of us, there were tensions and stress levels rising due to not having the time to purchase the necessary food supplies as part of our self-governed business. If not successfully completed, our team would be heavily penalised due to lack of preparation. To overcome this, I took it upon myself to purchase and bring the food supplies due to me having greater accessibility to a nearby food store. My actions helped reduce the team’s stress levels and enabled them to concentrate on other important aspects, such as presentation and the CEO report. From this stressful experience, I learnt the importance of being a supportive team member in having to considering the needs of the group above personal interests in order to achieve a successful output.

Describe an achievement in the workplace and/or designing, building, programming or creating something. Your example might relate to recent work experience, a part time job or a major non-school based project you have undertaken. You might choose to highlight your creativity; the ability to see alternatives; come up with many varied or original ideas; or willingness to try/learn new things.

For the past six years, I have been an active performer both in school based cultural events along with participating in external events. I have delved into my passion for dancing. From a young age, due to have limited access to external dance training, I have been learning dance online through tutorials, and have self-choreographed routines. A particular achievement was in 2016, where I had challenged myself by working with other students in creating an evocative modern dance routine as part of our dramatic performance.  I had single handedly choreographed and taught my fellow team members participating and thought of costume ideas and formations. I had also experimented by fusing multiple dance styles together to cater to individual talents and learning ability. Our team’s creativity was appreciated by our drama teacher, who had selected us to perform on stage in front of a large audience of 700 students. This moment was a particular achievement for me, as it involved me stepping outside my comfort zone to a style I was previously unfamiliar with, and required me to develop stronger communication skills in order to correct misunderstandings. It also helped me build confidence as I was given the opportunity to share my passion.

What sort of graduate position do you imagine yourself in after University?
If being granted the opportunity to be a Co-Op Scholar, I would utilise the transferrable skills obtained to cater towards my personal objective in being a marketing consultant of a reputable company. The skills I will obtain from studying marketing regarding the creation of a brand image will enable me to better service my employer in creating personality, differentiation and competitive advantage for a company.

Why should you be selected as a UNSW Co-op Program Scholar? Describe the personal qualities and values that differentiate you and that you would bring to the UNSW Co-op Program.

As an ambitious leader, I believe that I am suited to be a future Co-op Program Scholar. My school years have been a tumultuous journey in which I have aimed in breaking past my comfort zone through endeavoring to attain my personal goals through taking risks.  This has developed my communication skills and confidence, which I understand will be beneficial for building high quality relationships with prospective clients. My time spent at school has enhanced my time management and organizational skills, as shown through my achievement of the prestigious Reuben F Scarf Award in 2017. I will definitely be a great asset to the company through my ability to engage in critical thinking. My unbreakable work ethic coupled with enhanced ability to work under pressure will serve me well in servicing the needs of my prospective employer, as I am able to thrive in the fast paced corporate world. My passion will benefit my employers, as I will commit and perform to my highest potential.

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2018, 12:25:11 am »
Hey guys,
Apologies in advanced, I'm also going to spam the page with my responses!

Describe an achievement in the workplace and/or designing, building, programming or creating something.
During my role as an SRC member and school captain, I focused on reframing my school’s competitive nature towards academics, wanting students to be recognised for more than their marks. I had always been dismayed at how many of my peers defined themselves by their results, and the limited transparent support available, leading a committee to fix this attitude. After much consultation from the school community, we firstly introduced a male school counsellor, desiring to change the hypermasculine belief that boys should not expose their struggles. We then introduced ‘R U OK’ mentors for senior students and a lunchtime support group, both providing valuable rapport about mental health issues and student concerns within the school community. All these projects required approval by the school council and SRC, and I often liaised between these bodies, which strengthened my communication and consulting skills through forums, surveys and assembly announcements. This project also taught me the value of delegation, which improved productivity and allowed everyone to play an active role in such a vital issue. And I would love to continue my commitment to improving someone’s life by consulting with clients on projects that better their life.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2018, 07:40:10 am »
+1
Hi, I am actually interested in getting the co-op scholarship program, however my position and current condition now seems far too undesirable to be a candidate since I have almost 0 experience in leadership and lack of extracurriculars, as well as not very impressive internal ranks and also the fact that I am being frowned upon at school now and I am not even expected to get 90 atar ( I am only hoping to scab 90+ at this stage)... Although my initial atar goal was 98, now even 93 seems a bit unreachable at this stage unless some miracle happens or that I somehow smash the exam on the day given my effort..
Now my career advisor told me that he cannot help me and to not bother with applying for co-op.. and told me that repeating may be a good idea etc (whenever I come to school, I always feel down but when I'm home my relatives seemed to believe that ones my mind is healthy, I can easily smash hsc)..
So I am aware of EAS and E12, but should I at least attempt to applu for co-op despite almost unfavourable conditions anyway? (I almost have nothing to write about myself except... failing to get elected for prefect)..

I think you should definitely apply! Gotta be in it to win it ;D

Hey guys,
When I spoke to a UNSW student ambassador, she said that the UAC code for UNSW Co-op engineering is different to the regular Engineering course. I'm kinda confused about this. Can anyone confirm this?

Unless it has changed from when I did it, she is mistaken. There are different codes for courses which have substantially different timing - The placements force this for some degrees. But most engineering courses you still enrol in the same course as everyone else ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2018, 07:43:36 am »
+1
Hi,

Last time I will bother this thread with requests to look over my application I promise. I have cut it down and am in the process of sending them over.

Looks great SBKJ! For the weaknesses question, your two weaknesses sort of read as the same thing to me. Not a big deal, just something I noticed ;D on skimming though I think it looks good!

Hey guys,
Apologies in advanced, I'm also going to spam the page with my responses!

Describe an achievement in the workplace and/or designing, building, programming or creating something.
During my role as an SRC member and school captain, I focused on reframing my school’s competitive nature towards academics, wanting students to be recognised for more than their marks. I had always been dismayed at how many of my peers defined themselves by their results, and the limited transparent support available, leading a committee to fix this attitude. After much consultation from the school community, we firstly introduced a male school counsellor, desiring to change the hypermasculine belief that boys should not expose their struggles. We then introduced ‘R U OK’ mentors for senior students and a lunchtime support group, both providing valuable rapport about mental health issues and student concerns within the school community. All these projects required approval by the school council and SRC, and I often liaised between these bodies, which strengthened my communication and consulting skills through forums, surveys and assembly announcements. This project also taught me the value of delegation, which improved productivity and allowed everyone to play an active role in such a vital issue. And I would love to continue my commitment to improving someone’s life by consulting with clients on projects that better their life.

Great stuff here too, well done ;D

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2018, 09:19:33 am »
Hi,

Looks great to me!

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2018, 09:20:26 am »
How does this read?
This is for E12 SRS application for USYD bachelor of advanced computing but why not post it in this thread aha

1.Other than your regular schoolwork, consider activities you have been involved in, or achievements you have made, which are meaningful to you. These could be sports, cultural, community or school leadership activities. Select the one which best reflects you and describe why you undertook this activity, what you learned from it, and how it may be relevant to your future.
a.   In 2017  I joined the Memorial Church StormCo team for Lightning Ridge. StormCo is a community service evangalism program that focuses on building community relationships and serving the community. It stands for Service to Others Really Matters Company, and the reason I joined this team was because I deeply resonated with this ideaology. The trip lasted for 10 days, during which we spent time washing cars, running a kids club, hosting the local radio, cleaning houses, removing pests, performing at local churches and forming lasting relationships with community members. I believe that this acctivity best reflects me as it highlights my dedication and passion towards the activities that  I commit myself to, and it emphazies my view on community service and the importance of relationships in our society. During this time, I also had no access to the internet, which, as a 17 year old, was a big struggle at first. However, I learned that this was actually beneficial, as I was able to focus more on service and creating a memorable experience for the community, the team, and myself. I learned that community service and relationships are extremely important, and I aim to use this insight wherever I go in life.