Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 15, 2024, 04:51:34 am

Author Topic: UNSW Co-op Scholarship Program  (Read 39166 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: UNSW Co-op Scholarship Program
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2018, 10:43:09 pm »
Hi Jamon, thanks for the feedback for my response.

I took on board your feedback and rewrote my response

Describe an achievement in the workplace and/or designing, building, programming or creating something. Your example might relate to recent work experience, a part time job or a major non-school based project you have undertaken. You might choose to highlight your creativity; the ability to see alternatives; come up with many varied or original ideas; or willingness to try/learn new things.
For the past six years, I have been an active performer both in school based cultural events along with participating in external events. I have delving into my artistic passion for dancing. From a young age, due to have limited access to external dance training, I have been learning dance online through tutorials, and have self-choreographed routines to songs of my own liking. My passion in all forms of dance is shown through teaching myself hip hop and Indian cultural dance online, and performing my routines in front of large audiences. A particular achievement was in 2016, where I had challenged myself by working with other students in creating an evocative modern dance routine as part of our dramatic performance.  I had single handedly choreographed and taught my fellow team members participating and thought of costume ideas and formations. I had also experimented by fusing multiple dance styles together to cater to individual talents and learning ability. Our team’s creativity was appreciated by our drama teacher, who had selected us to perform on stage in front of a large audience of 700 students. This moment was a particular achievement for me, as it involved me stepping outside my comfort zone to a style I was previously unfamiliar with, and required me to develop stronger communication skills in order to correct misunderstandings whilst teaching choreography. It also helped me build my confidence as I was given the opportunity to share my passion through entertaining the public, and simultaneously educate my team members on the intricacies of contemporary dance practice and how to engage with the music through varied movement and synchronisation.

I like this better! Good job :)

Also, I don't really know how to particularly address the following question: What sort of graduate position do you imagine yourself in after University? I feel like this is a trick question to differentiate applicants. How can I make my answer not cheesy and predictable? This is what I wrote because I was really stumped

It's not a trick question, it is there to figure out your career aspirations, exactly as it says!! They want to know because they want Coop to go to people who will definitely end up in the industry, as opposed to say, an Engineering student who plans to do their PhD, or perhaps someone who isn't sure where they want to be (this is also why they discourage double degrees). You've answered it perfectly well! :)

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2018, 10:10:16 am »
I like this better! Good job :)

It's not a trick question, it is there to figure out your career aspirations, exactly as it says!! They want to know because they want Coop to go to people who will definitely end up in the industry, as opposed to say, an Engineering student who plans to do their PhD, or perhaps someone who isn't sure where they want to be (this is also why they discourage double degrees). You've answered it perfectly well! :)

Oh thank you Jamon. Could you also mark this response?

What do you regard as your key strengths and areas for improvement?
I strongly believe that my key strengths are my work ethic, humility and resilience. My relentless pursuit for success is reflected within my willingness to learn from my mistakes and to continue persevering despite encountering setbacks. I highly regard every success to be a product of hard work. This is reflected within my academic, sporting and extracurricular achievements where hard work has been its foundation. Humility is also my key strength, as I assiduously believe that it is important to recognise that there is always room for improvement. I consistently ask for constructive feedback and strategies on how to enhance my performance, in order for me to improve each and every day.  However, there are several personal characteristics that I currently endeavour to improve upon, as I find them to be a hindrance to my performance. I place high expectations to consistently perform at a commendable standard, and as a result, I place exorbitant pressure upon myself. This I find, has taken an immense toll on my state of mind, where I find myself being overwhelmed with stress. Consequently, I find myself unable to clearly focus on the task at hand without incessantly worrying about the final outcome. In order to rectify this issue, I routinely advise myself to relax and focus upon finishing a certain task or project to the best of my ability, without focusing too intently on aspects that are out of my control. This has allowed me to retreat into a productive headspace where I am able to accomplish more in less time due to the burden of stress being lifted.
Another aspect I feel I can improve upon is learning to have a balance. As an intrinsically motivated individual with a strong personal desire to achieve, I find myself committing to a lot of activities in order to be an all-rounder. This results in me spreading myself too thin and prevents me from honing in on my unique talents and abilities in a particular niche. Hence I need to learn to strike a balance in which I commit myself to an acceptable amount of activities and projects, whilst also finding time to enhance my skills in a particular field.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2018, 06:13:19 pm »
Oh thank you Jamon. Could you also mark this response?

Sure! Though remember, like, there is no right or wrong for these. I can only tell you what I think when I read it, and I think it reads just fine. It is long though, is the character limit for this also 1000? This is 2000+? :)

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2018, 10:52:32 pm »
Sure! Though remember, like, there is no right or wrong for these. I can only tell you what I think when I read it, and I think it reads just fine. It is long though, is the character limit for this also 1000? This is 2000+? :)

Yeah I know. Answers like these are subjective. However, the main reason why I am asking you to look at this is to make sure that my answers are articulate and eloquent enough to impress the interviewers. And yeah my answers are too long. I need to cut it down.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2018, 08:15:36 am »
Yeah I know. Answers like these are subjective. However, the main reason why I am asking you to look at this is to make sure that my answers are articulate and eloquent enough to impress the interviewers. And yeah my answers are too long. I need to cut it down.

Don't stress about being articulate and eloquent, like, your message getting across is the main thing! They won't appreciate you any more or any less, beyond using correct grammar they care more about what you are saying versus how you are saying it. This is why I always talk about the fact that it is about the applicant, not the application ;D

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2018, 03:13:21 pm »
Hey Guys!
I too am applying for this scholarship, I doubt my ATAR will be 96, im looking at 90 currently, but better to apply then not apply!
What do you think of my response to this question?
Select one or two activities from either list in Question 1 and tell us the most important things you gained or learned from these activities. Do not just provide a list of dot points.

During my time being involved in school leadership positions such as prefect, vice-captain and student representative council, I have been lucky to learn crucial lessons involving the importance of communication, and relationships when it comes to governing a body of people. From the beginning of my time as vice-captain, interrelationships between prefects were tense due to the absence of proper communication when it came to the equal distribution of work and tasks. Hence, over the following year, I and my fellow vice-captain worked hard to improve communication not only between the captains and the prefects, but between the captains and the vice captains themselves, allowing for a more organised team, and improved morale and workflow. Specifically, I learnt that frequent and specific communication is crucial to managing a body of people. For a group of people to work together in the most efficient way possible, they must have faith and trust in each other, achieved by communication.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2018, 04:04:05 pm »
Hey Guys!
I too am applying for this scholarship, I doubt my ATAR will be 96, im looking at 90 currently, but better to apply then not apply!

Love the mindset SP, great stuff! ;D love your answer too, wouldn't change anything, good work ;D

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2018, 10:07:05 am »
Thanks dude :)

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2018, 02:27:52 pm »
Please mark this answer

Why should you be selected as a UNSW Co-op Program Scholar? Describe the personal qualities and values that differentiate you and that you would bring to the UNSW Co-op Program.
Determination.  Commitment. Passion. These I believe are the key qualities that every aspiring UNSW Co-Op Program Scholar venturing into the fast paced world of business should have. As a fellow young leader who possesses these essential attributes, I wholeheartedly believe that I am well suited to be a future Co-op Program Scholar at the University of New South Wales. My high school years have been a tumultuous journey in which I have consistently aimed in breaking past my comfort zone through endeavouring to attain my personal goals through taking risks.  This has developed my communication skills and confidence, which I understand will be beneficial for building high quality relationships with prospective clients.My time spent at school has enhanced my time management and organizational skills, as shown through my achievement of the prestigious Reuben F Scarf Award in 2017 in recognition of sustained dedication and commitment to both my academic and extracurricular achievements. I will definitely be a great asset to the company through my ability to engage in creative and critical thinking, particularly in devising new marketing strategies and creating a personal brand. My unbreakable work ethic coupled with enhanced ability to work under pressure will undoubtedly serve me well in servicing the needs of my prospective employer, as I am able to thrive in the fast paced nature of the business world.  To conclude, my strong passion for marketing will benefit both me and my prospective employers, due to my willingness to commit to the program and perform to my highest potential.

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2018, 08:28:39 am »
+1
Hey KJ!
I personally think that your answer is a biiiiit too formal, you're trying to sell them on your personality and your passion!
To put it in perspective - almost everyone applying will have high academic results, and whilst it is good to throw your academic results in there, I believe in talking more about your personality and dedication- which you did, but I feel like there could be more!
Thats just my opinion though so take it with a grain of salt  ;)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2018, 06:42:54 pm »
Hey KJ!
I personally think that your answer is a biiiiit too formal, you're trying to sell them on your personality and your passion!
To put it in perspective - almost everyone applying will have high academic results, and whilst it is good to throw your academic results in there, I believe in talking more about your personality and dedication- which you did, but I feel like there could be more!

^^ Awesome feedback ;D

StudyBuddyKJ

• Trendsetter
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2018, 09:48:35 pm »
Hey KJ!

Thanks so much for the feedback. Very much appreciated :) Will keep that in mind

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2018, 12:20:49 am »
Hey, guys,

Just wondering what we fill out for year 11 ranks if our school didn't provide us with them in Year 11. Also for subjects we picked up in year 12, do we need to explain why there is not a year 11 mark?

SpanishPear

• Forum Regular
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2018, 09:45:57 am »
How do you pick up a subject in year 12????
The only ones i can think of is extension 2's

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2018, 10:20:59 am »
How do you pick up a subject in year 12????
The only ones i can think of is extension 2's
History Extension is picked up in Year 12, or maybe you've convinced the Curriculum Coordinator to get you into a new Year 12 class (e.g. moving from SOR1 to SOR2).
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW