Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:57:20 pm

Author Topic: VCE Behind the Scenes: Moderation, Rankings, Scaling, Aggregates  (Read 33617 times)  Share 

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
Re: VCE Behind the Scenes: Moderation, Rankings, Scaling, Aggregates
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2021, 07:08:27 pm »
Hi, after reading this topic I understand a bit better how it all works, thanks!
But can anyone advise on the school choice?
I will be in year 9 next year, so school choice is kind of important. The problem is that there is no very good public school in my area and parents are unlikely to pay top private school fee. So my choice would be between average public and average private school.
If I understood correctly, in a weak cohort it will be easy to get high rank and keep your good exam mark to yourself, which is good.
However, if average cohort results are bad this will negatively affect my score.
Does it all even out in the end?
Do you know anyone who got high ATAR (>99) while attending average public school?

Sine and Joseph41 answered super well but also thought I'd mention that I attended a low SES school ranked pretty poorly (around 450, maybe even lower) and I ended up getting a 93.75– I know friends with 97 and 98 as well in my cohort. It comes down to your individual rank, results, and ultimately your drive to do well over what school you go to.

naun81

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Behind the Scenes: Moderation, Rankings, Scaling, Aggregates
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2021, 07:29:31 pm »
+2
Thanks everyone:) I think biggest challenge when attending low rank school is that you are not sure what is a high standard. You may be a top of class, praised by teachers and relax, while in a high rank school you would be in a middle and tried to push yourself further. Probably need to go to tuition to have some comparison  :D