Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 10:36:32 am

Author Topic: Scholarship help: Academic reference content  (Read 832 times)  Share 

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
  • i always have too many tabs open
  • Respect: +18
Scholarship help: Academic reference content
« on: August 19, 2018, 02:51:35 pm »
I'm applying for a scholarship and I need two references, one for community/leadership/volunteer stuff and another for academic performance. I've already gotten my leadership reference, and I've asked one of my teachers for the academic one and he told me to write out what he needs to include. I've checked the uni (ANU) and they don't say anything more than "academic performance and predicted ATAR".
I have pretty good rankings and marks so he could put that in, but what else should he write?
HSC 2018: Chemistry | English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | SOR2

UNI 2019: Bachelor of Science @ ANU

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Scholarship help: Academic reference content
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 03:15:28 pm »
I'm applying for a scholarship and I need two references, one for community/leadership/volunteer stuff and another for academic performance. I've already gotten my leadership reference, and I've asked one of my teachers for the academic one and he told me to write out what he needs to include. I've checked the uni (ANU) and they don't say anything more than "academic performance and predicted ATAR".
I have pretty good rankings and marks so he could put that in, but what else should he write?
Hey there,
There's no specific list your reference letter should include but it generally has things like behaviour in the classroom and what kind of person you are- if your scholarship application also includes you writing a personal statement (i.e. your own values, work ethic, goals etc), your teacher should reinforce what you've said in the personal statement, just to make sure you're not bs-ing lmao. The academic stuff was more what my year coordinator included but considering how you already have a leadership reference, your teacher should include his/her judgement on whether you can achieve the predicted ATAR, and this judgement would be based on what they think your work ethic is like rather than talking about good grades. From what I see, the main thing that sets you apart from other people is your own values because you're competing with other people who are potentially also getting good grades (because I was getting average marks in 2 of my subjects and I still got called up for an interview so there's some hope!).

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
  • i always have too many tabs open
  • Respect: +18
Re: Scholarship help: Academic reference content
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 03:22:20 pm »
Thank you, this is very helpful! And congrats on your interview!

My school changed their teacher system at the start of this year  :-\ Each year used to have a year coordinator and our school had a head of students, but now we only have house leaders who focus more on the younger years and out head of students guy is on leave.
I think they are starting to realise the mistake they have made haha

Thanks again!
HSC 2018: Chemistry | English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | SOR2

UNI 2019: Bachelor of Science @ ANU