Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 29, 2024, 12:31:58 pm

Author Topic: How to handle nerves during an exam?  (Read 1374 times)

Stringy

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How to handle nerves during an exam?
« on: August 24, 2018, 06:23:19 pm »
+1
Had chem trials today, could barely focus due to the nerves I had whilst trying to answer questions, I feel it limited me a bit. How does everyone manage to stay calm during their exams?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: How to handle nerves during an exam?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 06:36:53 pm »
+6
I study enough for sacs so I feel prepared and I can tell myself if I am nervous that there isn't a reason for me to be nervous because I should know the stuff. I also talk to myself in my head like a motivational speaker, 'Go in there and smash it, you know you can do this!'
I have also spent the whole of high school telling myself 'It doesn't matter, this isn't the exam at the end of year 12'. So can't wait till it actually is. help.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:40:47 pm by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 06:40:56 pm »
+7
Had chem trials today, could barely focus due to the nerves I had whilst trying to answer questions, I feel it limited me a bit. How does everyone manage to stay calm during their exams?

You have to simulate those exam conditions beforehand! Doing lots of practice, with no notes and without allowing yourself anything you wouldn't normally get in an exam, will help you get used to being under pressure and help you beat the nerves!

The more you do, the better it will get :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:27:05 pm »
+11

I like the suggestions from OwlBird83 and Jamon  ;D I'm an anxious person before exams so it is completely understandable if you feel nervous  :D

If the nerves come during the exams, I think it's a good idea to just stop for even five seconds to just gather yourself. It makes a difference! It is much better you deal with them quickly than to leave yourself feeling nervous throughout the whole duration of the exam. I would also use the remainder of your reading time if you have any to focus on trying to approach or formulate answers for questions that you know might further fuel the nerves  :)

Before an exam, I always do some lip buzzes  ;D I do this when I get a little nervous before performing and it helps relax you in a silly way  ;D ;D Despite being a bit weird, it works for me and makes me feel less worried because if I've done something as lame as that before going into the exam, there's nothing that could go terribly wrong  ;D

Do your best to find a way to channel the nerves into something that can sustain and propel you in the exam  ;D

Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 10:39:32 pm »
+8
As well as what everyone else as said, sometimes like in my business trial when I got a sudden jolt of anxiety, I just stopped looking at the exam, took a deep breath, took a sip of water and told myself “it’s all in my head and it’s all right, I know this.” And I felt better, and it was okay from then. : )

Just taking that moments deep breath helps.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 10:41:22 pm by Razeen25 »
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20